• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Has RG adopted the standard Liberal Party procedure of blaming anyone else?

If the Reds do cop the likely pasting from the Brumbies next week, the best thing the QRU board can do is sack Graham immediately, allowing a caretaker / interim coach the bye week to get things settled, then an easier game vs the Lions to start off with.

IMO the Blues underestimated the Lions.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I like Howard as the coaching option. He did well in England and I think his experience at the ARU and CA would be a big advantage.

He wants to be based in Brisbane but the travel might be a factor with his young family.
Already based in Brisbane at the national cricket centre isn't he?

Also reportedly it would be a 50% pay cut.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Braveheart I understand the board always support the coach. But to be honest I am sick of the BS. Why not just say; we need to do better, injuries haven't helped us but our performance from the players to the coaches need to be far improved. I am not basing my opinion or decision on a Newspaper article but what the Chairman of the board said. They trundled out the same shit near the end of last season when anyone with half a rugby brain could tell that RG wasn't up to the job. They need to grow some balls and do something now even it means Stilesy runs the show until they have a coach in round 8 which is still my bet.

I don't think it is the board's role to make those sort of comments publicly.

They need to support their staff until such time as they replace them.

Of course the Reds need to do better and that includes everyone in the organisation from coaches to players.

I don't think it helps anything if Jim Carmichael makes a public comment that the coach doesn't have a fucking clue and the players are hopeless even if that is what everyone is thinking.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Howard would be an interesting option. Has some runs on the board, but his attitude would cause some issues. He'd need to get results straight away or lose the fan base quicker than RG.

Not to mention interactions with the board, some of whom will have just sacked their best mate.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't think it is the board's role to make those sort of comments publicly.

They need to support their staff until such time as they replace them.

Of course the Reds need to do better and that includes everyone in the organisation from coaches to players.

I don't think it helps anything if Jim Carmichael makes a public comment that the coach doesn't have a fucking clue and the players are hopeless even if that is what everyone is thinking.

I am certainly not saying he needs to say that. I have said in my past post what could be said without saying he is hopeless and yet appeasing the fan base for a period of time. And it wasn't Jim it was Rod McCall.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's all well and good from a fan perspective for them to come out and say RG is shit, but it makes it hard to attract a high value replacement if your board is slagging of the current coach in the media. Better to do what they're doing, run a review of the whole HPU and if it finds he's not up to the task then you move on. Certainly they need to act quickly but how a team fires a coach tends to have an impact on their ability to hire a new one.

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
I agree 100% here mate, at the end of the day there are attack coaches, defence coaches, set piece coaches, sand c coaches all who contribute to the overall process of this. Is sacking RG really the answer to the reds problems without a viable back up? or are there more onerous matters which can contribute to the rise of the reds ? are the reds tight 5 good enough? Everyone is quick to smash RG but lets not forget how dominated the reds scrum got the other night - is that RG's fault as well?

T

TOCC

I'd be highly concerned about the culture of the QRU if a board member were openly criticising a current employee. That's just bad practice and undermines the persons authority and ability to operate effectively.. Yes he might inevitably be sacked, but do the Reds have an interim replacement? Perhaps Stiles and the other coaching candidates have rejected notion of taking over mid-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I understand those comments and agree however they are ignoring the fan base and that is what is getting me. They could say without doing all the things you suggest that the team is underperforming and they like the fan base aren't happy with the results. That isn't slagging a coach or player nor does it undermine anyone but is does sure up the fanbase they acknowledge there is a problem. However they don't they just keep laying on excuses to their fans.

No where here have I said they should slag him or say he is shit they are your words not mine. They are true words but not one I have mentioned. ;)

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree 100% here mate, at the end of the day there are attack coaches, defence coaches, set piece coaches, sand c coaches all who contribute to the overall process of this. Is sacking RG really the answer to the reds problems without a viable back up? or are there more onerous matters which can contribute to the rise of the reds ? are the reds tight 5 good enough? Everyone is quick to smash RG but lets not forget how dominated the reds scrum got the other night - is that RG's fault as well?

Yes it is. He is the man that makes the final decision. His selections are on the field. I don't think the scrum was anywhere near as bad as what people made it out to be to be fair. Kepu was very lucky not to be penalised numerous times for dropping his bind and putting his hand on the ground and some of the other penalties were lucky dip. Scrum penalties are certainly not helping the game of rugby as that is what all teams now want out of them rather than good ball.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the other issue that has prevented the board making moves sooner is that based on what has been displayed thus far, you'd have to move on RG and several members of the wider staff, most notably Meehan and his lack of attacking play. There would be hesitation to blow up an entire coaching staff.

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
So do you think that RG getting sacked will improve QLD rugby this year? sacking him immediately? even though his contract is up at the end of the season? with no replacement - an interim coach perhaps? Stiles? Meehan? no....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So do you think that RG getting sacked will improve QLD rugby this year? sacking him immediately? even though his contract is up at the end of the season? with no replacement - an interim coach perhaps? Stiles? Meehan? no..

It depends............

If he loses support of the players then yes, they would need to sack him and fill the role with an interim coach.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If you are asking my opinion yes Swansong that is what I am saying. RG goes and goes now, why delay? Money surely not. Then put Stiles in is an interim coach until whenever the new coach can start.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you are asking my opinion yes Swansong that is what I am saying. RG goes and goes now, why delay? Money surely not. Then put Stiles in is an interim coach until whenever the new coach can start.

It wouldn't be until after the end of the season though............

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Potentially however I hope my sources are correct that again it could be around Round 8 or 9 we see a new coach here.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Potentially however I hope my sources are correct that again it could be around Round 8 or 9 we see a new coach here.

If Graham is sacked, then the Reds need to go through the proper process of seeking out a new head coach, which obviously takes time.............

And I'm not sure if any sane person wants to take over a struggling team halfway through a season............

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If Graham is sacked, then the Reds need to go through the proper process of seeking out a new head coach, which obviously takes time.....

And I'm not sure if any sane person wants to take over a struggling team halfway through a season....

Who said rugby coaches are sane! I believe anyone who currently doesn't have a head coach role would jump at the opportunity to coach the Reds. This is a good squad. I would like to believe there was some spade work done earlier than the last few days in regards to this too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm sceptical that the Reds would not go through the proper recruitment process to explore all their options and just rush through such an important decision...........

That would be potentially disastrous.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Nick Stiles gets an offer to be the Wallabies set piece/forwards coach, that might be more appealing than taking over the Reds halfway through the season on a hiding to nothing.

Who said rugby coaches are sane! I believe anyone who currently doesn't have a head coach role would jump at the opportunity to coach the Reds. This is a good squad. I would like to believe there was some spade work done earlier than the last few days in regards to this too.

Whilst a coach without a head coaching role might be keen to take the job, they would be unlikely just to take over as a caretaker and would certainly want a contract covering next year at a minimum. Is the coach you can get halfway through the year necessarily close to being the best person for the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.