• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Who cares if link endorsed it or not, what you people are arguing is purely speculative with no sources or informed persons to inform otherwise..
In either case it doesn't change the fact that RG is the coach today and has been for the past 18months..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I 100% agree, the RG appointment was a board decision and they are the ones who need to take responsibility. (Which doesn't necesarily mean they should be sacked or resign)

Link's endorsement or not is a red herring.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Reg is that tongue and cheek? We came 8th out 12. It was a bad period of time for Qld, with McBain, Slack then Miller all mates of the board or part of the board. That year we had

Kefu
Tune
Cockbain
Flatley
Stiles
Sharp
Latham
Panaho
Sailor.
Good cattle which really would have won 5 games without a coach.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Reg is that tongue and cheek? We came 8th out 12. It was a bad period of time for Qld, with McBain, Slack then Miller all mates of the board or part of the board. That year we had

Miller appointed himself. Slack had no experience.

McBain took us to the finals one year and 5th the next. He had (or has, I would imagine Link surpassed him) the highest winning percentage of all QLD coaches. Hardly had mates on the board if he was successful and got the chop.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fair comment Re McBain but again his team was sensational at that time as well. But I retract and say Slack and Miller instead.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I 100% agree, the RG appointment was a board decision and they are the ones who need to take responsibility. (Which doesn't necesarily mean they should be sacked or resign)

Link's endorsement or not is a red herring.

That may be true QH for you and others, but it's not for me, sorry.

If in fact Link objected to RG being recruited and just via sheer political tact and face-management for the QRU gave the whole RG appointment his (insincere) endorsement, the quality of Link's judgement would inestimably rise in my eyes and I'd see him as somewhat redeemed from blame for the RG cluster fuck of 2014/5 and the major long-term damage it's in the process of causing. There can be no question that the apogee of Link's coaching excellence was 2011, and it's been mostly a slow downhill run since then (I don't rate his contribution to the Wallabies in totality from its beginning to its end-phase at all highly).

What follows below I would pre-emptively agree only relates tangentially to the matter of Link's role in the RG appointment. Nonetheless, here we go as in part in raising Link's and the QRU's public statements from 2012 re RG I was getting at some assessment of what was revealed about the calibre of that process and the quality of judgement of all the individuals concerned, entrusted as they were with the future of Australian rugby in one of its two birthright States.

Moreover, this: I am genuinely interested in the following core question (others may not be) as I am passionately concerned regarding the survivability of Australian rugby as a code and the part Queensland rugby may or may not play in that:

Was the revival of the Reds/QRU in 2010-11 effectively a time and place and near-unique 'oncer' where a complex amalgam of luck, talent and fortunate contextual circumstances came together in a short golden period that will unlikely be repeated or be able to be repeated, OR was it the basis of a genuine, well-structured new institutional quality that has the depth of culture and calibre of governance to build an enduring system of rugby-winning and fan-winning quality likely to generate relatively regular S15 Finals positions and/or Finals wins over the next decade, and thus is (broadly) akin to an Australian Crusaders, Bulls or, more recently, Chiefs?

The answer to this question has IMO very important ramifications for Aus rugby as manifestly the code is increasingly commercially fragile in this country and where NSW and QLD are its crucial foundations. If NSW and QLD can build new, reformed institutional quality in their supervising RUs that modernises, succeeds and endures in a repetitive form, the code is likely to survive, and more so, actually prosper in its happy niche.

Alternatively, if these State RUs flatter to deceive and through poor boards and bad management, crumble into darkness yet again - as they have before with near-death consequences when there was then far more ARU wealth to support them - the code is clearly done for here over the next decade.

My grave concern is that what I am today witnessing within the Reds/QRU establishment are all the signs that, sadly, 2010-11 was indeed a 'oncer' as referenced above. And that establishment is not displaying the calibre of facts-respecting and fans-respecting leadership and judgement of a type that would confirm an institutional process capable of ensuring repetitive, enduring rugby successes, both commercially and over every 80 minutes on the hallowed turf.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
There's nothing wrong with appointing an interim coach, Damien Hill at the Rebels just 2 years ago turned them around, and what about Stuart Lancaster, the England head coach. Did such a good job they ended up appointing him to the role full time!

My 2 cents would be to appoint Nick Styles as interim coach and do a proper, transparent international search for a suitable full time appointment.

What's the worst that could happen, we drop two more places?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My Opinion:
Link is no chance - bloke is damaged goods ATM
Meehan - shit no - am not a fan.

Prediction:
RG will be terminated prior to the bye.

Nick Stiles will be appointed in a Caretaker capacity for rest of 2015

This will enable time for the Reds to select a new coach for 2016 and onwards.

The question will be do you go with a experienced successful coach like a Henry or go for a young bloke (and a lot cheaper salary) like Matt Taylor.

I think the Taylor option is best. He is close to some of the senior blokes, is incredibly enthusiastic and well respected by the playing group (I believe). He did a great job at the Reds prior and a good job in the land of the Pics

Just my opinion

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
yes I agree in the long term.. BUT they don't have a replacement now. - I feel that the reds must either act now with an interim or wait until the end of this season.

Every week they leave RG in place pisses off the fans even more. Right now 95% of us have the tar heating in the back yard and are ripping up feather pillows to give RG a send off. Leaving him to the end of the season means we would be looking at crowds of 5-6000 ala the bad days of 2007-8.

Doesn't matter if we don't get decent results under an interim coach or not, what matters is that justice is seen to be done and RG is dispatched.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The best timing would be right before a bye. The byes are next week after the Brumbies game (week 6), and in week 12.

Spot on. And they can do it as a package deal, RG, the physio guy (Nate?) and the S&C guy all announced as leaving. Gives the impression of a major cleanout, even though the latter two were leaving anyway, pacifies the fans a bit and the next two games are out of sight/out of mind a little bit over in Africa.

Nick Stiles announced as caretaker for the Africa leg.

T

TOCC

My grave concern is that what I am today witnessing within the Reds/QRU establishment are all the signs that, sadly, 2010-11 was indeed a 'oncer' as referenced above. .
Disagree, you don't make the Super Rugby Finals 3 years running as a 'oncer'.
Reds 2011 season had a mix of luck to win the championship, but making the finals 3 years running was a reflection of the calibre of the team..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My Opinion:
Link is no chance - bloke is damaged goods ATM
Meehan - shit no - am not a fan.

Prediction:
RG will be terminated prior to the bye.

Nick Stiles will be appointed in a Caretaker capacity for rest of 2015

This will enable time for the Reds to select a new coach for 2016 and onwards.

The question will be do you go with a experienced successful coach like a Henry or go for a young bloke (and a lot cheaper salary) like Matt Taylor.

I think the Taylor option is best. He is close to some of the senior blokes, is incredibly enthusiastic and well respected by the playing group (I believe). He did a great job at the Reds prior and a good job in the land of the Pics

Just my opinion

That's all well and good, if not for the fact that Matt Taylor has already got a gig as Scotland (and Glasgow Warriors) Defence coach.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He has to go. The sooner the better.
This year is a wash despite some high profile signings before it.
Give a young bloke a chance as an interim coach and then consider him and other more experienced candidates for the long term role from next year.

The QLD board will state several times that he has their full support and then..........wham, they'll take him out Kuridrani style a few days later.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That may be true QH for you and others, but it's not for me, sorry.

If in fact Link objected to RG being recruited and just via sheer political tact and face-management for the QRU gave the whole RG appointment his (insincere) endorsement, the quality of Link's judgement would inestimably rise in my eyes and I'd see him as somewhat redeemed from blame for the RG cluster fuck of 2014/5 and the major long-term damage it's in the process of causing. There can be no question that the apogee of Link's coaching excellence was 2011, and it's been mostly a slow downhill run since then (I don't rate his contribution to the Wallabies in totality from its beginning to its end-phase at all highly).

What follows below I would pre-emptively agree only relates tangentially to the matter of Link's role in the RG appointment. Nonetheless, here we go as in part in raising Link's and the QRU's public statements from 2012 re RG I was getting at some assessment of what was revealed about the calibre of that process and the quality of judgement of all the individuals concerned, entrusted as they were with the future of Australian rugby in one of its two birthright States.

Moreover, this: I am genuinely interested in the following core question (others may not be) as I am passionately concerned regarding the survivability of Australian rugby as a code and the part Queensland rugby may or may not play in that:

Was the revival of the Reds/QRU in 2010-11 effectively a time and place and near-unique 'oncer' where a complex amalgam of luck, talent and fortunate contextual circumstances came together in a short golden period that will unlikely be repeated or be able to be repeated, OR was it the basis of a genuine, well-structured new institutional quality that has the depth of culture and calibre of governance to build an enduring system of rugby-winning and fan-winning quality likely to generate relatively regular S15 Finals positions and/or Finals wins over the next decade, and thus is (broadly) akin to an Australian Crusaders, Bulls or, more recently, Chiefs?

The answer to this question has IMO very important ramifications for Aus rugby as manifestly the code is increasingly commercially fragile in this country and where NSW and QLD are its crucial foundations. If NSW and QLD can build new, reformed institutional quality in their supervising RUs that modernises, succeeds and endures in a repetitive form, the code is likely to survive, and more so, actually prosper in its happy niche.

Alternatively, if these State RUs flatter to deceive and through poor boards and bad management, crumble into darkness yet again - as they have before with near-death consequences when there was then far more ARU wealth to support them - the code is clearly done for here over the next decade.

My grave concern is that what I am today witnessing within the Reds/QRU establishment are all the signs that, sadly, 2010-11 was indeed a 'oncer' as referenced above. And that establishment is not displaying the calibre of facts-respecting and fans-respecting leadership and judgement of a type that would confirm an institutional process capable of ensuring repetitive, enduring rugby successes, both commercially and over every 80 minutes on the hallowed turf.

But in the end, Link's role in the appointment of RG is peripheral and whether he endorsed it or not doesn't change the fact that it is the Board who make the appointment and the board who must accept responsibility for the process and the end result. People will make their own judgement on Link as a coach - some people won't hear a word against him, others have a less flattering view.

In NSW it took crowds dropping to 13,000 under Hickey/Foley (who were both appointed by a board who wanted a coach who would do what they wanted) for the NSWRU Board to be blasted out and actually appoint a coach to take the Waratahs forward. Unfortunately, I see a repeat of this process in Qld.

As I said in an earlier post the Waratahs train wreck of 2011 played its part in our failure at RWC 2011, what's going on at the Reds isn't helping our tilt at RWC 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.