• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Celebrating the Rebels

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Would the Rebels have rostered the most varied group of internationally capped players in super rugby? Factoring in that some were capped after they left the Rebels.

Australia
Fiji
England
Japan
South Africa
Russia
Tonga
USA
Scotland?
There are a number of other countries represented, some were capped prior to playing at the Rebels:

All Blacks (Lomax played for the All Blacks after playing for the Rebels. A number of All Blacks played for NZ before playing with the Rebels);
Ireland (Jamie Hagan)
Wales (Gareth Delve and Dom Day)
Argentina (Lucio Sordoni)
Samoa (Paul Alo-Emile, Steve Fualau, Stacey Ili)

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would the Rebels have rostered the most varied group of internationally capped players in super rugby? Factoring in that some were capped after they left the Rebels.

Australia
Fiji
England
Japan
South Africa
Russia
Tonga
USA
Scotland?

you forgot New Zealand and I’m sure they would of had representation from Samoa but I’d need to look at list of players

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Australia
Fiji
England
Japan
South Africa
Russia
Tonga
USA
Scotland?

Namibia
Italy
New Zealand
Samoa
Wales
Ireland
Argentina

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Argentina (Sordoni)
England (Lipman, Cipriani, Parling, Maunder)
Fiji (Volavola, Lomani, Rokobaro, Sorovi)
Ireland (Hagan)
Italy (Ioane)
Japan (Horie, Matsushima, Inagaki, Mafi, Sa'u)
Namibia (Hardwick)
New Zealand (Somerville, Lomax, Thomson, Ellison, Ainsley, O'Neill, Proctor)
Russia (Byrnes)
Samoa (Alo-Emile, Malolo, Ili, Fualau)
Scotland (Tuipulotu)
Samoa (Coleman, Taumoepeau, Veainu, Timani, Aholelei, Vuna)
USA (King)
Wales (Delve, Day)

If we stretch it out to the Rising, we could also claim France from Manny Meafou and Cook Islands from Justin Marsters.

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
It is a tough assignment picking the best team and longevity and importance to the side comes into it.
For example Gareth Delve may not have played that many games but he was a key influence on the early years of the Rebels.
It is also very different to a favourite team (mine might include Danny Cipriani because although he was a bit of a headcase he was a bundle of fun to watch).

1. Matt Gibbon
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Sam Talakai
4. Matt Philip
5. Adam Coleman
6. Sean McMahon
7. Richard Hardwick
8. Gareth Delve
9. Nick Phipps
10. Carter Gordon
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Matt To'ouma
13. Tom English
14. Reece Hodge
15. Dane Haylett-Petty

16. Anaru Rangi
17. Toby Smith
18. Laurie Weeks
19. Hugh Pyle
20. Rob Leota
21. Will Genia
22. Tom English
23. Andrew Kellaway

I keep wanting to change names because I can't believe I couldn't find a spot for Jason Woodward, Luke Jones, Tamati Ellison, Scott Higginbotham, Quade Cooper, Mitch Inman and Colby Fainga'a

Dene

Peter Burge (5)
1. Paul Alo-Emile
2. Horie
3. Toby Smith
6. Luke Jones
6. Lopeti Timani
6. McMahon
7. Hardwick
8. Amanaki Mafi pre-unpleasantness
9. Colby Fainga’a
10. 2014 Rising Debreczini
11. Koroibete
12. Inman
13. English
14. Kellaway
15. Hodge

16. Rangi
17. Weeks
18. Eloff
6. Jordy Reid
6. Leota
6. Kemeny
7. Fuglistaller
8. Higginbotham

Flying to Wellington for a last hurrah.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Rebels International 15, players who's first start in Super Rugby came in Melbourne

1. M Gibbon
2. J Uelese
3. P Fa'amausili
4. L Jones
5. C Neville
6. A Byrnes
7. S McMahon
8. R Leota
9. N Phipps
10. Carter Gordon
11. M Koroibete
12. S Tuipulotu
13. S Ili
14. Sefa Navilu
15. Reece Hodge

Cooper Vuna, Peter Betham, Eddie Aholelei, Paul Alo Emile, Alex Rokobaro, Lalakai Foketi, Jack Maddocks, T Lomax

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
My favourites (on and off the field):

T.Smith, S.Horie, L.Weeks, H.Pyle, C.Neville, R.Leota, S.McMahon, S.Higginbotham, N.Phipps, J.Debreczenbi, S.Naivalu, T.Ellison, T.English, L.Mitchell, R.Hodge

N.Henderson, J.Hanson, S.Talakai, L.Jones, G.Delve, N.Stirzaker, B.Hegarty, M.Koroibete

With massive apologies to M.Inman, J.Reid and C.Fainga'a

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
My favourites (on and off the field):

T.Smith, S.Horie, L.Weeks, H.Pyle, C.Neville, R.Leota, S.McMahon, S.Higginbotham, N.Phipps, J.Debreczenbi, S.Naivalu, T.Ellison, T.English, L.Mitchell, R.Hodge

N.Henderson, J.Hanson, S.Talakai, L.Jones, G.Delve, N.Stirzaker, B.Hegarty, M.Koroibete

With massive apologies to M.Inman, J.Reid and C.Fainga'a
Nearly the exact same, I'd swap Stirzaker for Meehan though. Eloff and Henderson.

Also Mark Gerrard is being hard done by here, has got a mention when his boot was so vital the first couple of seasons. I still think my fav seasons was with Hill in charge, our defense sucked but we scored some awesome trys those seasons.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Nearly the exact same, I'd swap Stirzaker for Meehan though. Eloff and Henderson.

Also Mark Gerrard is being hard done by here, has got a mention when his boot was so vital the first couple of seasons. I still think my fav seasons was with Hill in charge, our defense sucked but we scored some awesome trys those seasons.
KevinO was thinking the same thing the other day re: when Hill was in charge.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Some absolutely atrocious vaudeville stuff from some stalwarts. Clearly before media and comms teams professionalised.

Having heard how deeply weird a unit Stirlo is via the KOKO podcast, I can see him appreciating this nonsense.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I thought I would do something different. To celebrate our 14 seasons I thought I would list my 14 favourite (not our best) players:
1 Gareth Delve
2 Marika Koroibete
3 Reece Hodge
4 Sefanaia Naivalu
5 Tom English
6 Cabous Eloff
7 Tamati Ellison
8 Andrew Kellaway
9 Colby Fainga'a
10 Carter Gordon
11 Shota Horie
12 Danny Cipriani
13 Jarrod Saffy
14 Telusa Veainu

To address the elephant in the room, I know Telusa Veainu only played 8 games for the Rebels and 6 games for the Rising. But I was a big fan he had X Factor. Unfortunately, TT was allergic to X Factor.