• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Celebrating the Rebels

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I used to love them pilfering the theme from Les Mis as the club song, until the copyright lawyers got in touch and forced them to rewrite it.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This is one of the memories that has been brought up for me over the , particularly around the discussions Stan have had around the Brumbies and the Reds breaking long droughts (home or away) against the Crusaders.

Big game: round 1 away to the Saders, year 2 under McGahan. Lost a couple of names who'd been a big part of our identity across the first 3 seasons in Pyle, Mitchell, Woodward and Horie. First season without big name offseason pickups as compared to the JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Beale, Higginbotham,, Ellison, Fainga'as of before: Chris Harris and Jonah Placid were the closest things to names joining. The preseason form was not that great either to my knowledge. Two yellows, the first of which saw Colby Fainga'a playing scrum half because our backline was so fuck off tall none of them could even pretend to play Scrum half.

And yet we scrap a 20-10 Victory against one of Super Rugby's big boys, in a city that's been a graveyard for visiting teams.

There are other games I've probably enjoyed more or gotten to attend, but it was the first time it seemed that we could REALLY be something more than a novelty.
That was the first home game I missed. Watched
It on my phone at my mother in law’s in Mirboo North during dinner. Probably my favourite Rebels memory.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
all time rebels team??? I have a few new arrivals in my squad simply because this is the best rebels team ever but would love to hear everyone else thoughts on the greatest rebels team ever

unsure of my criteria. Guess it’s household names at test rugby arena (Mortlock Genia etc) mixed with loyal rebels stalwarts (Hodge, Weeks etc)

1. Laurie Weeks
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Matt Philip
5. Luke Jones
6. Angus Cotterall
7. Sean McMahon
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. Will Genia
10. Carter Gordon
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Reece Hodge
13. Stirling Mortlock
14. Tom English
15. Andrew Kellaway

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
In terms of what they've done in the rebels jersey (as opposed to their career as a whole) this would be mine:

1 Laurie Weeks
2 Jordan Uelese
3 Pone Fa'amausili
4 Matt Philip
5 Hugh Pyle
6 Sean McMahon
7 Richard Hardwick
8 Rob Leota
9 Nic Stirzaker
10 Carter Gordon
11 Marika Koroibete
12 Reece Hodge
13 Mitch Inman
14 Lachlan Mitchell
15 Andrew Kellaway

Ryan Louwrens, Shota Horie, Tom English unlucky to miss out.

Definitely favours some of the longer serving players and a few fan favourites, but all of these guys are players who I think of as Rebels first and foremost and played their best rugby in Melbourne for the most part.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
In terms of what they've done in the rebels jersey (as opposed to their career as a whole) this would be mine:

1 Laurie Weeks
2 Jordan Uelese
3 Pone Fa'amausili
4 Matt Philip
5 Hugh Pyle
6 Sean McMahon
7 Richard Hardwick
8 Rob Leota
9 Nic Stirzaker
10 Carter Gordon
11 Marika Koroibete
12 Reece Hodge
13 Mitch Inman
14 Lachlan Mitchell
15 Andrew Kellaway

Ryan Louwrens, Shota Horie, Tom English unlucky to miss out.

Definitely favours some of the longer serving players and a few fan favourites, but all of these guys are players who I think of as Rebels first and foremost and played their best rugby in Melbourne for the most part.

yes this is probably a more accurate reflection with rebels fans& leaving a mark on their fandom…. However if you knew nothing about the rebels and were picking from a list of names the rebels could of had an all time all star cast with the likes of JOC (James O'Connor), kurtley, QC (Quade Cooper)… good list Wilson

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Based on the impact/longevity I think they had for the club rather than pure best, I would say this is my team. The sheer turnover makes it difficult. Honourable mentions to our various captains (Mortlock, Higgers, Stirzaker, Coleman, DHP.) much of our season 1 team, the Japanese contingent, and a few other blokes like Jordy Reid.

15: Reece Hodge
14: Andrew Kellaway
13: Tamati Ellison
12: Mitch Inman
11: Marika Koroibete
10: Carter Gordon
9: Nick Phipps
8: Rob Leota
7: Richard Hardwick
6: Sean McMahon
5: Matt Philip
4: Hugh Pyle
3: Sam Talakai
2: Jordan Uelese
1: Toby Smith

16: Ged Robinson
17: Nic Henderson
18: Laurie Weeks
19: Luke Jones
20: Colby Fainga'a
21: Ryan Louwrens
22: Tom English
23: Sefa Naivalu

Last edited:

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Favourite player was Tamati Ellison, he was a ton of fun to watch and ridiculously solid. The Rebels always looked so much better when he was on the field.

I feel like there was a continuity break for the Rebels after 2017. Mentally, I didn't really think of them in the same way afterwards. So to prevent my team of favourites just being all pre-2018 players, I've made a 2011-2017 team and a 2018-2024 team. Not necessarily saying they're all "the best", but my favourites to watch.

2011-2017 playersPosition2018-2024 players
Nic HendersonLHPCabous Eloff
Ged RobinsonHKAnaru Rangi
Laurie WeeksTHPJermaine Ainsley
Hugh PyleLKMatt Philip
Cadeyrn NevilleLKAdam Coleman
Michael LipmanBSFAngus Cottrell
Colby Fainga'aOSFRichard Hardwick
Gareth DelveN8Ross Haylett-Petty
Nick PhippsSHWill Genia
Jack DebreczeniFHQuade Cooper
Cooper VunaWGReece Hodge
Tamati EllisonICMatt To'omua
Mitch InmanOCTom English
Lachlan MitchellWGMarika Koroibete
Jason WoodwardFBDane Haylett-Petty
Shota HorieRes HKJames Hanson
Max LahiffRes LHPTetera Faulkner
Rodney BlakeRes THPRuan Smith
Luke JonesRes LKLukhan Salakaia-Loto
Tim DavidsonRes BRMichael Wells
Ben MeehanRes SHMichael Ruru
Reece HodgeRes IBBilly Meakes
Sefa NaivaluRes OBAndrew Kellaway

Favourite game?
2011-2017 it had to be beating the Highlanders last round of 2013. Down something like 31-7 at half time, come back to win 38-37 after Hegarty scores twice in the last five minutes, Delve gets the conversion attempt before his retirement, I think the epitome of 2011-2017 Rebels. Honourable mentions to beating the Crusaders in 2012, Mortlock intercept, gives it to Vuna, Vuna gives back to Mortlock, scores. Was cheering like crazy.
2018-2024 was probably when they beat the Reds in 2023. Reds had put 70 on the Force a couple of weeks prior, only losses of the season had been against Canes and Brumbies, Reds are up something like 14-0 at 20 minutes and looking in control. This is probably the game where Carter Gordon really made his reputation, he ran that backline really well (credit to the forwards for competing with the Reds' pack and making that possible), set up four tries before halftime and went in at halftime leading. Reds adjusted well start of the second half, scored something like three tries in eight minutes, but Rebels rallied again and scored another couple to put it beyond doubt.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Top 10 Super Rugby games played for Melbourne Rebels:
1. Reece Hodge 100
2. Tom English 97
3. Luke Jones 88
4. Laurie Weeks 86
5. Mitch Inman 81
6. Matt Gibbon 74
7. Jordan Uelese 71
8. Marika Koroibete 69
9. Richard Hardwick 67
10. Colby Fainga'a 66

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Top 10 Super Rugby try scorers for Melbourne Rebels:
1. Reece Hodge 37
2. Marika Koroibete 23
3. Tom English 22
4. Jack Maddocks 19
5. Andrew Kellaway 18
6. Sefanaia Naivalu 16
7. Scott Higginbotham 15
8. Cooper Vuna 13
Eq 9. Carter Gordon 12
Eq. 9 Lachie Anderson 12
Eq. 9 Dane Haylett-Petty 12

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Top 10 Super Rugby points scorers for Melbourne Rebels:
1. Reece Hodge 573
2. Matt To'omua 328
3. Jack Debreczeni 246
4. Jason Woodward 210
5. James O'Connor 201
6. Carter Gordon 146
7. Mike Harris 133
8. Danny Cipriani 122
9. Quade Cooper 116
10. Marika Koroibete 115

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Would the Rebels have rostered the most varied group of internationally capped players in super rugby? Factoring in that some were capped after they left the Rebels.

Australia
Fiji
England
Japan
South Africa
Russia
Tonga
USA
Scotland?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
There is so much about the Rebels I’ve enjoyed over the years but a personal highlight - Theo Fourie - a young guy from my club who I had a small hand in coaching in his early days, and who did all his schooling in Regional Qld - made his Super Rugby debut as a Rebel in 2023.