• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Celebrating the Rebels

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can the Rebels consortium use that as part of their legal claim? From memory we only got McGahan because he was under contract RA and they wanted to offload him somewhere.

No doubt we lost a heap of fans with his boring as bat dos game plan.
After the rebels extended his contract? Not sure that's the winning legal argument you think it is

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I'm not defending McGahan's tenure as a whole, I didn't particularly want him either and felt he misused many talented players and accelerated a decline in interest in the game.

I just don't think it was necessarily wrong for the extension to take place after '15 as it looked like things were on the up results wise.

Dene

Peter Burge (5)
Nice video up on rebels Facebook page reels today - messages from club alum to the squad. Inman Weeks Reid Rangi English et al.

Was on plane with team heading over this morning. Long journey from 2011 to now. Friday ritual going to games, demolishing midstrengths bundys and hotdogs, losing my voice with general incoherent loudness, enjoying the odd moment of brilliance and the occasional win. Lots of little life moments and memories tied to games and general fandom along the way.

Leaves a bit of a hole in things to look forward to.

Will be cheering from the sidelines and hoping for a good game of rugby. Go rebels.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
A lot of people seem to think the Rebels dying will bolster the other Super Rigby teams. It won't.

Short term a few players will go to other super teams, more will go overseas.

Longer term, the talent pathway in Melbourne which has produced an increasing number of Wallabies (including for other Super teams) will completely dry up.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Might have been covered earlier. Low point? Danny Ciprianis celebrating a try with that dance.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
Favourite game: our first win v the Brumbies after being smashed by the Tahs the week before
Favourite player: Gareth Delve
Favourite try:
My mate had thought half time is near and had dycked off to beat the half time rush at the loos. Came back to tell him he missed that try. He was kicking himself once I managed to convince him I wasn't pulling his leg.

Last edited:

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
Honestly my favourite players have all been front row piggies.

Ged Robinson
Shota Horie
Paul Alo-emile
Laurie Weeks
Cabous Elof
Toby Smith
Pone Fa'amausili
Ged Robertson used to make so many meters. Too many, he used to get turned over a bit because the support could not keep up with him

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Last week I said we had 13 one game wonders. After last Saturday and David Vaihu's debut we now have 14.

KevinO and I spoke about Stu Dunbar and JP du Plessis.

The other 11 are: Charlie Abel, Eddie Aholelei, Albert Anae, Luke Callan, Theo Fourie, Josh Holmes, Keith Inagaki, James King, Sama Malolo, Radike Samo and Ben Whittaker.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Congratulations to Andrew Kellaway, who will become the 23rd player to play 50 games for the Rebels.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
@RugbyReg asked for some Melbourne Rising stats.

Top 10 games played for the Rising:
Eq. 1st Sione Tuipulotu 32
Eq. 1st Lloyd Johansson 32
3rd Fereti Sa'aga 28
Eq. 4th Tom English 26
Eq. 4th Ikapote Tupau 26
Eq. 6th Jack Debreczeni 25
Eq. 6th Pat Leafa 25
Eq. 6th Sam Jeffries 25
9th Jonah Placid 24
Eq. 10th Rob Leota 21
Eq. 10th Steve Cummins 21
Eq. 10th Cruze Ah-Nau 21
Eq 10th Tom Moloney 21

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Top 10 try scorers for Melbourne Rising:
1st Tom English 21
Eq. 2nd Sione Tuipulotu 12
Eq. 2nd Jack Debreczeni 12
4th Jonah Placid 11
5th Justin Marsters 10
6th Ben Meehan 9
7th Telusa Veainu 8
Eq. 8th Lopeti Timani 8
Eq. 8th Nic Stirzaker 8
Eq. 10th Kitione Ratu 6
Eq. 10th Sefanaia Naivalu 6
Eq. 10th Semisi Tupou 6
Eq. 10th Jack Maddocks 6

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Top 10 points scorers for Melbourne Rising:
1st Jack Debreczeni 273
2nd Tom English 110
3rd Ben Meehan 68
4th Sione Tuipulotu 64
5th Archie King 63
6th Jonah Placid 57
7th Jack McGregor 54
8th Justin Marsters 50
9th Telusa Veainu 43
10th James So'oialo 41

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Last week I said we had 13 one game wonders. After last Saturday and David Vaihu's debut we now have 14.

KevinO and I spoke about Stu Dunbar and JP du Plessis.

The other 11 are: Charlie Abel, Eddie Aholelei, Albert Anae, Luke Callan, Theo Fourie, Josh Holmes, Keith Inagaki, James King, Sama Malolo, Radike Samo and Ben Whittaker.
7 of 14 are front rowers :p

Was surprised to see Inagaki on the list for myself: did he have a lot of named on bench didn't get on the fields?

Eddie Aholelei is the one that stands out to me from that list: he seemed to be one of those culture setters around the club those first 3 or 4 seasons, but the single prop benches pre-BILs tour meant there wasn't much of a chance for him to translate that leadership into on field stuff.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thought Whittaker played more than once from memory.
2015 was the year of 80 minute Pat Leafa. Whittaker was named on the bench in round 1 and 2 and didn’t get a run. He came off the bench in round 3.

For the rest of the season Tom Sexton played 5 games and was on the bench and didn’t play for 8 games.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well done Lachie Anderson. With his double he moved to 8th on Rebels try scorers list. Passing Cooper Vuna (13 tries) and Carter Gordon and Dane Haylett-Petty (12 tries).