• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies vs Waratahs - 2011R06

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GC

Predicting a tight Ponies win here. It'll come down to who responds better to being shockingly out of form and slaughtered by the press and fans. As it's a home game for the Ponies, I reckon they'll take it in a nail-biter. More so now that TPN's out. Giteau will get his kicking right one of these days.

I'm hoping for a draw though.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Predicting a tight Ponies win here. It'll come down to who responds better to being shockingly out of form and slaughtered by the press and fans. As it's a home game for the Ponies, I reckon they'll take it in a nail-biter. More so now that TPN's out. Giteau will get his kicking right one of these days.

I'm hoping for a draw though.

Both teams will hate a draw. It basically puts them out of the race for top spot, especially the Brumbies. Both teams want a four try win but I'm betting they'll both play conservative and not get it. A loss here would be disastrous to both.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tonight Hickey said something on the rugby club that was either the best lie I've ever seen or was a genuine surprise: He said that Ulugia was always going to be replaced after 30 mins when hopefully he would have taken the sting out of the Cheetahs and he was NOT pulled because of his poor play. Taking him at face value, this selection now seems to make more sense than it did at the time. (I said more sense, not complete sense). Given TPN is not right for this week, which he also announced, will Fitzpatrick start or will Ulugia be entrusted with the first 30 minutes again? Given the Brumby front row is far less imposing without Moore, I would start Fitzpatrick.

They've announced a 24-man squad including TPN with the extras in the forwards, so it looks like Mitchell is OK. But I'm not in favour of delaying team announcements like this because you obviously have people playing injured to some significant extent. Its only round 6, not a final. You have to trust the squad depth.

My first feeling listening to Hickey say this on the Rugby club is that he was just saying that to spare Ulugia's confidence that has already taken a belting after his 30min stint. I felt very sorry for the guy myself and I think he should be given another go with Waugh coming back to control things and maybe with less rain water on the ball than what it was against the Cheetahs. I do find it hard to believe that was the plan all along.

M

Moono75

Tricky game to pick. Who knows which teams will turn up to play on the day. Internal rumblings in both sides doesn't make for great dynamics. One team is going to be under a whole lot more pressure after this weekend. The Tahs need Phil Waugh playing to set the tone for the team.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
Tricky game to pick. Who knows which teams will turn up to play on the day. Internal rumblings in both sides doesn't make for great dynamics. One team is going to be under a whole lot more pressure after this weekend. The Tahs need Phil Waugh playing to set the tone for the team.

According to all media sites at the moment the Tahs are sending out the same side as last week!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It was hard but I've gone with the Brumbies. This was in the SMH:

The Waratahs are not a happy bunch. The bickering among players began after the loss to the Crusaders, when one in-form performer criticised several forwards for not putting in. The lampooned players did not take it well, while another was labelled ''Harvey'', as in Harvey Norman, because he has no interest. The dreadful loss to the Cheetahs last Saturday night has caused more internal dramas. Before the game, several Waratahs were shocked by one of the team selections. And after being beaten by the cellar dwellers, two players approached a team official, telling him to stop playing politics. Also, the players' confidence in one another official is wavering. Meanwhile, two other players had an argument this week over each other's level of commitment. Hopefully, the Waratahs' bus trip to Canberra today will be the time for a good old-fashioned player love-in.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
I went to the SFS last week but no one from NSW turned up to watch, no one turned up to play and the same list (no one) is current out there. Waiting for 'that info' to finalise my fantasy team.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't be surprised if a Tahs winger does not start....

They have no coverage for him in their named squad, so they'd either revert to a 5/2 bench split or grab someone from outside the squad.

If he doesn't start then, god, I hate the Tahs. To cap it off, they will have fucked my Fantasy Rugby team, and, it's not like it currently needs extra fucking.

Early media reports are the only thing I've seen that have suggested he was carrying an injury. Otherwise, the last few days have been quiet. Thanks, Tahs.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Greg Growden, "Ruck and Maul". March 11:

"One Waratah who was in Nelson has even been nicknamed 'Harvey', as in Harvey Norman, as in no interest."

Greg Growden, "Ruck and Maul". March 25:

"The lampooned players did not take it well, while another was labelled 'Harvey', as in Harvey Norman, because he has no interest."

One explanation might be that GG is losing it. But that would involve the rather heroic assumption that at some stage he had it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Greg Growden, "Ruck and Maul". March 11:

"One Waratah who was in Nelson has even been nicknamed 'Harvey', as in Harvey Norman, as in no interest."

Greg Growden, "Ruck and Maul". March 25:

"The lampooned players did not take it well, while another was labelled 'Harvey', as in Harvey Norman, because he has no interest."

One explanation might be that GG is losing it. But that would involve the rather heroic assumption that at some stage he had it.

Meanwhile, our snouts tell us that one Internet rugby commentator has labelled Greg Growden "Beach-ball", as he is full of hot air, and has no point.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Any bold predictions? I am going for Tahs by plenty.

But more likely it'll be a dour low scoring affair.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
0-0 and the world explodes... Although I have to tip the Tahs and reckon it'll be by 8 I can't really say I have much confidence in my predictions.

M

Moono75

The Tahs forwards need to step it up big time after last week. Not a fan of Dean Mumm, I watch NZ games and when i watch Mumm I just think "pussy". That tag plays across the board for a lot of Australian forwards. That said, the Tahs have the talent to top the pool but they seem to have too much pyschological baggage to get over the hurdle. The Brumbies, not as talented but after watching the Rebels v Canes game that doesnt seem to matter. Rebels just spanked the Canes. I think you would have to back the Tahs to come out and make a statement. For the Brumbies, Gits needs to stop shuffiling sideways like a crab and distribute the ball effectivley. Thank god we were smart enought to cut him from the Force!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Moore and McCabe being out, with Waugh being back and Cliffy another game in are the big swings to me. Tahs in a close one.

Status
Not open for further replies.