• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies v Waratahs, round 12, Friday 1 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Good tough, physical game tonight.... nice to see our teams capable of that in a WC year. Personally I think the Brumbies lost it rather than Tahs won it. Left a few try scoring opportunities out there. However Tahs were gutsy and tenacious, never gave up.

The Hooper v Pocock debate is obviously strong on this thread. It's interesting seeing others observations(or perhaps more opinions) being rather different to what I saw. I thought it was a pretty clear cut decision in Pococks favour. Seemed to me he got the better of Hooper in turnovers, ruck/maul(tight work), defense - although Hoops was excellent as well, leadership, physicality and slowing the pill. Clearly Hooper was better tonight with his (wider)running and support play(second to none in the world imo). Thought both their hands/balls skills are about on par now(perhaps just slightly leaning towards Hoops), which I didn't think I'd be saying this year. I did notice that every time Hooper looked like he was going to make a break there was Pocock to make the tackle. Great battle to watch as an ex openside.

I'll add in on the Hooper carry on at the end. I agree that it's poor form, if you want to show passion and pride in you and your teams performance you turn to them and celebrate with them. You don't scream and yell at the opposition... I wonder who he was directing it at. It reflects poorly unfortunately and paints him as a poor winner IMO. Such a shame because I quite like Hoops, that has left a bad taste in my mouth.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh please, what Hooper did is no different to Steenkamp last year with Tom Marshall yet most people found it hilarious. Overreaction much.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Oh please, what Hooper did is no different to Steenkamp last year with Tom Marshall yet most people found it hilarious. Overreaction much.

I'll admit that I found that picture humorous(due to the visually comedic nature of the image) however I thought the act was very disrespectful. I don't think I'm overreacting... I said it reflects poorly on him. As a number of other posts have said as well. I haven't said "drop him" or "disgraceful behaviour". I Simply think it's poor form and isn't a way our incumbent Wallaby captain should be acting. Pretty simple and pretty in line I think.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
We'll take the points ! ....I think the Glimmer Twins put it best "You cant always get what you waaant but if you try sometimes you get what you need " . Well played in a hard fought encounter from both teams . Jackson's inability to call our defence of the maul was embarrassing to say the least and probably cost the Brumbies the match . I hope this is not a trend because if we defend a maul like that in the RWC we'll be eaten alive by the refs imo . The Brumbies need to shore up their ball security at the ruck if they want to maintain momentum . The Tahs defence should be pleasing to Cheika but the error rate remains high ..still more to work on ....This is the year when every home game seems to be played with the intensity of finals football , enthralling isn't it .

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Turning to your own team mates and doing that is emotion. Walking toward your opposition like that is being a dick.
Yeah, OK. That was a huge game, hard fought. Plenty of emotion for both sides. I'm not going to slate a guy for showing it. I realise others want to.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I find this hard to take.

Brumbies had countless chances, including ten minutes late in the game against 14. If you can't win with that advantage, then you aren't 'the better team', plain and simple.

You are entirely correct Barbarian, the Brumbies had a number of chances at the end of the game. The Tahs really had nothing in the second half and never looked like scoring. The reasons the Brumbies didn't score were a combination of good Tahs defense, refereeing oversights and poor execution by the Brumbies.

Tahs' defense was strong all nightv Put the Brumbies under pressure at almost every ruck.

Referee missed the illegalities of the Tahs' maul defense on a couple of crucial occasions. Especially, Benn Robinson and another coming around the maul and taking the ball carrier out illegally late in the game which should have resulted in a penalty almost in front of the sticks.

Brumbies then compounded the situation by poor finishing late in the game when in very good scoring position.

I stick by my view that the Brumbies were the better side on the night and could have turned a couple of situations at least into points late in the game. The Tahs were not in the same situation almost for the entire second half.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Illegal rolling maul was evident tonight but I clearly saw one that was close to the Waratahs line and Tomane went straight into the maul ahead of the ball carrier (Poey I think). For mine that was a clear penalty to the Tahs. Initially I though Glen missed a heap, but I actually think he was pretty fair to both sides.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
You are entirely correct Barbarian, the Brumbies had a number of chances at the end of the game. The Tahs really had nothing in the second half and never looked like scoring. The reasons the Brumbies didn't score were a combination of good Tahs defense, refereeing oversights and poor execution by the Brumbies.

Tahs' defense was strong all nightv Put the Brumbies under pressure at almost every ruck.

Referee missed the illegalities of the Tahs' maul defense on a couple of crucial occasions. Especially, Benn Robinson and another coming around the maul and taking the ball carrier out illegally late in the game which should have resulted in a penalty almost in front of the sticks.

Brumbies then compounded the situation by poor finishing late in the game when in very good scoring position.

I stick by my view that the Brumbies were the better side on the night and could have turned a couple of situations at least into points late in the game. The Tahs were not in the same situation almost for the entire second half.

Please. The Brumbies attack is non-existent, as it has been for large parts of the year and all of last year. One out runners one off the ruck.

could've, would've, should've.
The Tahs couldn't have done more to lose that game and the Brumbies still lost it. They had the ball, they didn't do anything with it.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
No Brumbies fans want to comment about not going for the draw?

The kick would have been 50/50 at best. Kicking from about 45m into a slight wind was no certainty.

Both Larkham and Cheika said they would have done the same thing and Cheika said that he wouldn't be worried about a team having a go and losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.