• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies v Force - Sat 16 July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
As he should, surely we want the rules of the game to be enforced - where would you draw the line? If its a nice try but comes about as a result of an illegal action we should let it stand? If its the team we support? If its the team thats behind?

You're kidding, right? The laws of the game should be applied correctly. That was incorrect.
The TMO intervention was incorrect, which is a shame because Damien Mitchelmore is a good referee.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
The ref should've definitely checked for offside himself for the Godwin try, but the right call was made. It was just as close as the To'omua held up try. Terrible luck for the force but not unfair.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

G

galumay

You're kidding, right? The laws of the game should be applied correctly. That was incorrect.
The TMO intervention was incorrect, which is a shame because Damien Mitchelmore is a good referee.

I dont believe the TMO was incorrect, its marginal but looking at the replay a few more times he was never put onside. The intervention was correct because he saw what he thought was a player in front of the kicker, the decision was correct because he was offside and never put onside.

Its not enough for the kicker and chaser to be inline, the kicker has to move in front of the chasing player to put him onside.

I get you didnt like the decision, but I havent seen any evidence it was incorrect.

But let's look at this situation. Even if the Force got this try and won by more than 7 do you think any Brumbie fan would have even noticed this?

Not sure that whether the fans notice or not is a great criteria for deciding when to apply the laws and it would be open to much more speculation and subjectivity as opposed to just applying the rules!!

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
The ref should've definitely checked for offside himself for the Godwin try, but the right call was made. It was just as close as the To'omua held up try. Terrible luck for the force but not unfair.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Watch it again.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Definitely very close. At the very least the kicker got parallel with him before moving forward. Maybe more bad luck than unjust but I would have awarded it.

D-Box

Cyril Towers (30)
Not sure that whether the fans notice or not is a great criteria for deciding when to apply the laws and it would be open to much more speculation and subjectivity as opposed to just applying the rules!!

I think we are having the same discussion that cricket is having regarding reviews. They were brought in to stop the howlers, but are being used to question lbw with me in it.

I think World Rugby needs to consider the whole overturn an awarded try. The referee referral before the decision is fine it's just the overturning. In my mind there are two issues.

1) the fact that a player action can prevent it. If the argument is that we need the right decision then that it. Ref and TMO should be able to review until the next KO to make themselves comfortable.

2) if we are overturning decisions then it should be a challenge approach, within a given time frame with no in stadium replays during this time period. This will allow the howlers to be overturned while still keeping the human nature of decisions - like every other time in the game. There are three officials on the ground and if they are happy play on. Should be like then huge knock on that is missed 4 phases before a try.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

G

galumay

At least we have time to discuss the events of late in the first half ad infinitum due to the lack of rugby being played by either side in the second half!

G

galumay

I think we are having the same discussion that cricket is having regarding reviews.

Quite possibly. I suspect it will go the opposite direction to that which you suggest. In nearly every sport we have seen an increase in the use of video and technology to ensure compliance with the laws of the games and I dont see that changing.

I do agree that whether or not this is the direction sports continue to take, the speedy resloution of decision making should be paramount and players shouldnt be able to influence that process by their actions.

I can foresee a world where there is even a 'scrum monitor' that can analyse and report in real time whats really happening in there!!

G

galumay

Hard to imagine the Brumbies could beat Otago next week watching the two teams tonight.

I would be happy to wager rather a large amount that it wont take the 'Landers 20 minutes to get points on the board!!

G

galumay

What a crap performance, what is supposedly the best aussie team, held scoreless in the second half by the bottom team in the conference - the week before they have a final. 40 minutes with not a single point scored, what a terrible indictment of australian rugby.

Coming on the back of the two kiwi games today the contrast in skills, accuracy and attitude was huge and disheartening.

Status
Not open for further replies.