• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies v Cheetahs Super Rugby R3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hooper has got to start next week... Vaea just not doing enough...

Good games from Carter and Mowen in the forwards...

Massive improvement from To'omua this week...

Andrew Smith also excellent, and will be tough to shift him from outside centre after that performance...

Speight had a quiet second half but did some great things in the first...

I wonder how the game would've panned out if Nic White didn't go off so early... he was incredible...

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Tahs were bagged for not taking penalties against the Cheetahs in that "horror" game last season, obviously Mowen remembered & learned from that.

Come on Baldric, Brumbies a bit lucky to pull one out of the fire, I thought both teams were about 50/50 but def slight favour for the Cheetahs who played very well but they died off a bit at the end. The way they were playing earlier on they should have put themselves further ahead. They didn't & the Brumbies capitalised.

I thought Kimlin did well for the Brumbies as well.
Hooker Strauss, Heinrich, & lu Roux (no.11) for mine were the Cheetahs best

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The Cheetahs were lucky to not lose a front rower to the bin, with all the shenanigans going on. Apart from the lack of binding, early engages and boring going on, the time wasting was epic. I thought the last call was fine.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Thrilled for the Brumbies. Showing that invaluable winning grit and some good skills. Improving as a team and White deserves some of the credit.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, RH, they stuck at it, took the points and it paid off. They might have scored a try or two more with their field position. Good game to win. Hopefully gives them some momentum.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies lifted a gear around the time Hooper came on...

Before that they were sloppy around the ruck and the Cheetahs were able to score off their mistakes...

There were some good performances from the Brumbies' backs, but unfortunately the opportunities weren't there as much when Nic White came off.

Some good signs though...

Last week I was calling for Andrew Smith to be benched but he was making metres all day... so strong in the tackle...

In fact, there were a few Brumbies' players who looked really strong in contact - Carter, Alexander, To'omua, Speight.

Good effort from Prior too in what was his first game.

Doesn't have White's skills but he was reliable.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Does anyone else prefer listening to Sean Maloney instead of the ramblings of Kearns, Martin and Horan?

Although the Brumbies came back well, fuck there was some questionable decisions at the back end of the game against the Cheetahs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And you can't bag Mowen's decision to take the penalty earlier on...

In the last 20 minutes all the momentum was with the Brumbies, and he (like I did) had the confidence that they'd be returning to that part of the field.

It was another good captain's game from Mowen...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Good stuff from the brumbies, after the week they had (self imposed by White) I thought they showed great resolve and proved as a team there only going to get better and better.

The Cheetahs can only blame themselves that last twenty was pretty negative, thought if they kept at it they may have put on another try but instead went into there shells and were rightly punished in my book for trying to destabilize the brumbies scrum.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well that was a gutsy win from the Brumbies. There was a lot to like about that performance, and a lot to cringe at.

The forward platform the Brumbies set is actually quite good. However, I have observed that ball security in the ruck is an area in which the Brumbies need to improve on. A lot of the turnovers conceded at the breakdown today resulted from poor ball security at the ruck. The set piece is good. The scrum is solid, the lineout looks steady and the forwards are bringing enthusiasm to the breakdown.

The backs haven't quite gelled yet. Give them time though, and I think they will really trouble sides out wide. The Cheetahs tested the Brumbies out wide, and major inroads by doing so. Worrying, but not catastrophic.

Overall, I like the way the Brumbies are playing. They are playing very direct, using a lot of forward runners and generating (for the most part) quick ball.I really enjoyed todays game. And afternoon rugby! Win! Growing up in Canberra (god that was a long time ago!), I can attest to how damn cold Bruce stadium can get in the winter. I'm sure you Brumbies fans will agree. Therefore, I think the more afternoon games the Brumbies play, and especially if they can keep winning, the bigger crowds they will draw.

Its my first post here, so don't be too harsh!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Does anyone else prefer listening to Sean Maloney instead of the ramblings of Kearns, Martin and Horan?

Although the Brumbies came back well, fuck there was some questionable decisions at the back end of the game against the Cheetahs.

I agree although I dont entirely dislike the regular panel I just think it needs to be mixed up now & then. I thought Kearnsy paired with Maloney actually made him better to listen to.

I feel a bit for the Cheetahs because they played very well but they just didnt keep on with it. Mowen made sure of it that they had more than one score option in the last 4min to make sure they werent stuck with the pressure of only having the try available to save the game & that decision paid dividends.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well that was a gutsy win from the Brumbies. There was a lot to like about that performance, and a lot to cringe at.

The forward platform the Brumbies set is actually quite good. However, I have observed that ball security in the ruck is an area in which the Brumbies need to improve on. A lot of the turnovers conceded at the breakdown today resulted from poor ball security at the ruck. The set piece is good. The scrum is solid, the lineout looks steady and the forwards are bringing enthusiasm to the breakdown.

The backs haven't quite gelled yet. Give them time though, and I think they will really trouble sides out wide. The Cheetahs tested the Brumbies out wide, and major inroads by doing so. Worrying, but not catastrophic.

Overall, I like the way the Brumbies are playing. They are playing very direct, using a lot of forward runners and generating (for the most part) quick ball.I really enjoyed todays game. And afternoon rugby! Win! Growing up in Canberra (god that was a long time ago!), I can attest to how damn cold Bruce stadium can get in the winter. I'm sure you Brumbies fans will agree. Therefore, I think the more afternoon games the Brumbies play, and especially if they can keep winning, the bigger crowds they will draw.

Nice first post. Welcome, and I look forward to more, Baron.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

Welcome aboard Red Baron!

Highlighted those two points because I strongly agree. The ball spilled out the side a lot, I saw the Brumbies in particular turn it over to the Cheetahs in that fashion. I thought the Cheetahs Lu Roux (No. 11) had a blinder & was very dangerous.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
And you can't bag Mowen's decision to take the penalty earlier on...

In the last 20 minutes all the momentum was with the Brumbies, and he (like I did) had the confidence that they'd be returning to that part of the field.

It was another good captain's game from Mowen...

In hindsight it was a good decision but all it would have taken was a knock on or a poor engagement by the brumbies and they would have lost that game. I probably would have taken the scrum from that distance and gone for the try.

An interesting game from the brumbies. I thought prior was very good when he came on, but so was nic white. You can see why the broncos let mogg go, the kick out on the full was a bit of shocker. But to his credit he had some good runs as well. I was impressed by the brumbies pack, although palmer still needs to up his work rate if he wants a gold jersey. And lilo was solid as ever - I think he is one of the most under rated players in australian rugby. I'd probably take him over Carter and McCabe as an inside centre.

Shaping up as a good season for the ponies. These wins will be doing wonders for their confidence.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
That win shouldn't be overly celebrated. The Cheetahs are coming off a belting at home to the Bulls and the Brumbies had the week off. All that business during the week should not have been an issue and not used as an excuse if they lost.

I think Jake will now assess how his experiments are going and I think there needs to be changes. As mentioned earlier Vaea is not a 7 and Hooper should come in and start. The plan of Vaea going full on for 60 doesn't work and it's not his natural position.

Jesse Mogg is progressing well and it's needs to be remembered that his only an EPS player and is taking his chances. He will get better with experience.

Matt To'omua led the team well and you could see them starting to get on top in the last 10. This is probably a result of their conditioning work. I feel that the loss of Nic White early on hampered them to some extent and it looked like Ian Prior was more often than not slow to the breakdown and letting Brussow have a field day in there.

For the Cheetahs I was impressed with Willie 'Spiders' Le Roux. He caused numerous problems down the wing and could show the Brumbies they need some work to do in defending in those areas.

Their scrum was lucky not be down to 7 after the numerous penalties given. As ballsy as it was by Brown to award the penalty, it was clear as day they had broken off the scrum early.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
Scott fardy had a great game off the bench, surely he would push for a start over hand, who is old and useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.