• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rumour coming out of England that Jerry Yanuyanutawa has signed with London Wasps.

Sincerely hope that Jerry is able to go to a Pro club and grab some more game time - he is capable of much more than club rugby in Australia.

Should it be true, they will be getting a solid player on the field and a gentleman off it. Not a bad mix.

If true that is wonderful news for Jerry. It will reunite him with Trevor Woodman who taught him to scrummage at Sydney University. Jerry was a flanker and it took a few of us including Trevor Woodman about 18 months to convince him to have a go at the poetic dimension of rugby. He developed into a powerful loose head and was chosen in an Australia A squad although he received no game time. One of his principal claims to fame was a 300kg box squat a few days after a Shute Shield Grand Final.

For whatever reason he played few games during his three seasons at the Brumbies. It will be interesting to see how he develops when again under the tutelage of Woodman.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'm sure he will go well Bruce, in whatever he pursues.
Even better if old tutors in a professional environment can help get him that extra game time.

Top bloke, simply put.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I was hoping to see more of Crawford this year but understand he wants game time with the 2012 form of Spieght, Tomane, Mogg with Coleman in the back 3 has been outstsanding. It would be hard to get a run next season as To'omua will return and where will they put him if Leoliifano is back in form? Anyway I wish him all the best for 2013...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies' walking wounded see a silver lining in full pre-season of training
Date
July 20, 2012
They're the ACT Brumbies' walking wounded.
But coach Jake White hopes sending some of his stars for early surgery will have his team primed and fit for an assault on the 2013 Super Rugby season.
A shattered Joseph Tomane joined a long list of casualties yesterday when an unexpected ankle reconstruction shattered his hopes of launching himself back on to the Wallabies' wing this year.
Instead of his planned six weeks on the sideline, Tomane will spend the next four months recovering from surgery.
The Brumbies flyer joins a host of players who have either already gone under the knife or are waiting to see the surgeon in the next 10 days.
Scott Fardy and Sam Carter will have shoulder operations, while Henry Speight will have surgery on the knee injury he carried through most of the Super Rugby season.
Dan Palmer has had surgery on his foot, while Nic White is expected to have a shoulder operation when he finishes his Wallabies commitments.
Add to that Christian Lealiifano (shoulder and knee) and Matt To'omua (knee), who have already had major operations, and the list of injuries makes the Brumbies' impressive Super Rugby campaign even more impressive.
Fardy, Carter, Speight, Palmer and White played through pain most weeks to keep their dream of making the finals alive.
The Brumbies' charge to the finals fell at the final hurdle when they lost to the Auckland Blues last weekend.
First-choice playmakers Lealiifano and To'omua were already on the sideline, while Palmer and Tomane lasted less than 40 minutes before they were forced off through injury.
However, the Brumbies are refusing to use injuries as an excuse for falling one point short of a drought-breaking play-off appearance.
In a boost to the 2013 campaign and White's plans to go one step further in his second season in charge, they will have surgery to ensure they return for pre-season training fit and ready to erase the pain of falling short of the finals this season.
Tomane had planned to be back training in six weeks to impress Test selectors for the Wallabies' Rugby Championship series against New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina.
He initially suffered an ankle syndesmosis injury while training with the Wallabies last month.
The rugby league convert attempted to make a comeback last weekend, but he is now out of action for four months.
The Brumbies will return to their Griffith headquarters on Wednesday and those who are fit and not on Wallabies duties will play in the John I Dent Cup for the remainder of the season.
Their official pre-season training begins in late October.
And while Brumbies headquarters will resemble a casualty ward with arm slings, crutches and bandages in the coming weeks, White is expecting all to be ready for the opening round next year.
White is still on a recruiting mission and it is hoped David Pocock will make a decision on his future in the next two weeks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was hoping to see more of Crawford this year but understand he wants game time with the 2012 form of Spieght, Tomane, Mogg with Coleman in the back 3 has been outstsanding. It would be hard to get a run next season as To'omua will return and where will they put him if Leoliifano is back in form? Anyway I wish him all the best for 2013.

I don't think Cam Crawford really moves much further up the pecking order by going to the Tahs.

He will still be behind Turner, Mitchell and Ashley-Cooper and possibly also Kingston, Pakalani and Foley (if he's used at fullback rather than 10).

I'm guessing it has as much to do with being able to move back to Sydney as it has to furthering his Super Rugby aspirations.

I could be wrong but I can't imagine he'll get much more opportunity at the Tahs than he has had at the Brumbies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I don't think Cam Crawford really moves much further up the pecking order by going to the Tahs.

He will still be behind Turner, Mitchell and Ashley-Cooper and possibly also Kingston, Pakalani and Foley (if he's used at fullback rather than 10).

I'm guessing it has as much to do with being able to move back to Sydney as it has to furthering his Super Rugby aspirations.

I could be wrong but I can't imagine he'll get much more opportunity at the Tahs than he has had at the Brumbies.

Perhaps he just misses norths...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I completely forgot that the Brumbies will be able to sign a foreign marquee player next year.......

Brumbies have spot for Pocock and a marquee international

THE ACT Brumbies are free to scour world rugby for a potential recruit, if they choose, after Jake White confirmed Henry Speight would not be considered a foreign player when the Super Rugby season begins next year.
Speight had filled one of the Brumbies' two available foreign player contracts for the past two seasons.
However, with next year to be his third in Australia, Speight will be eligible to be selected for the Wallabies and White will be able to find another international player if required.
The Brumbies have two free roster spots in their top-30 squad.
It is hoped one of those will be filled by star openside flanker David Pocock.
Pocock is expected to make a decision in the coming week on whether he will remain with the Western Force or join the Brumbies.
White's recruiting for his full-time squad and the ARU-funded five-man extended player squad will largely depend on Pocock.
With Ruaidhri Murphy the only foreign player on his roster, White could try to lure a marquee international to the capital.
But White is also keen to give Colby Fainga'a a chance to shine in the Brumbies No. 7 jersey.
Fainga'a started the year level with Michael Hooper in selection contention, but injuries crippled his season and limited him to just one game from the bench.
Hooper had a boom campaign and made his Wallabies debut, but he has signed with the NSW Waratahs for next year.
''The big thing in Australian rugby is opportunity,'' White said. ''This time last year people didn't know about Michael Hooper … they might be talking about Colby Fainga'a the same way next year.''
Former Brumbies No. 7 Brett Robinson has backed Fainga'a to have a major impact.
''He's a great player who didn't get many chances and would be a great asset … [if Pocock doesn't sign with the Brumbies] you have to look at him first.''

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Certainly but Turner can play 13, Ashley Cooper can play 12 or 13, Kingston can play 13, Pakalani is possibly on the chopping block, and Foley is establishing himself as a 10.

With Horne's injurability and Carter leaving I'd say at least bench spot for Crawford for most of the season would be bankable.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The fact the Force are bumbling around with their coaching decision is making Pocock's decision easier.

I'd expect an announcement next week some time.

P

Paradox

What/who do we want as our foreign marquee player? I kind of wouldn't mind a big nasty second rower but Fardy and Carter were pretty good this year (and Kimlin) so would be harsh. Maybe a world class 13?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
OK maybe I'll be more specific. I'd be careful when looking for a 'world class' marquee player.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
What/who do we want as our foreign marquee player? I kind of wouldn't mind a big nasty second rower but Fardy and Carter were pretty good this year (and Kimlin) so would be harsh. Maybe a world class 13?

Someone with leadership qualities but not established or famous, and brutal on the field with something to prove (hard to find?)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If they can get a good marquee signing that would be great, but I doubt Jake is the kind of person to waste a position if he can find someone locally who is capable.......

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If they can get a good marquee signing that would be great, but I doubt Jake is the kind of person to waste a position if he can find someone locally who is capable...

I think you'll be seeing a couple of upcoming Saffas playing in the Brumby ranks. I remember reading an article where Jake basically said exactly that.

Status
Not open for further replies.