• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Brumbies needed extra time to defeat Saracens Moscow 22-17.

Game started well with Coleman over within 25 secondss after they regathered the kick off.

Moscow were let back into the game on the back of Brumbies giving away penalties. Jordan Smiler was red carded after 5 minutes for a lifting tackle that looked pretty bad that lead to Moscow getting on the board then take the lead before half time.

Henry Speight got the Brumbies back into the game with a try that was followed up by Rodney Iona who converted his own try.

Moscow scored a try right at the death and had a conversion to win the game but it missed so it went to extra time.

Moscow had a good chance to win but couldn't hold onto the ball and the Brumbies finally scored the winner to Colby Fainga'a after some good interplay down the left side.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
And it's the brumbies 17-14 in the final, beating Auckland.

Henry Speight with the winning try on the bell. Almost butchered it, let Auckland in for 2 quick tries in the second half.

Well done guys.

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk 2

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
uploadfromtaptalk1376898125827.jpg
Here's what Smiler got 6 weeks for.

Apologies for the poor quality but you get the picture.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Well considering he plays for Easts and their season is done, it really doesn't matter unless he intended playing somewhere in the next 6 weeks

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Suspect it could be a 'pool' player.

Normally at a Sevens event there is group of players that are on standby in case of injuries and the get recruited depending on what sort of player they need.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Well done to the Brumbies, especially as they were mainly 15s players playing 7s as Larkham mentioned.

Was surprised that Oosthuizen was in a Sevens side at 120 kgs and close enough to 2 metres tall - but he showed that he had a big enough engine, didn't he?

And Andrew Smith is not exactly the prototype Sevens player either.

It was interesting for a non-ACT or Qld person like me to see Tom Cox stretch out at full pace.

A big pat on the back for Canberra local players Matt Hawke and Rodney Iona, who I haven't seen before.

Mick O'Connor, the Oz Sevens coach, probably knows all about Iona, but if not he will have an interest in him now.

Ioana looks like he is born to play Sevens rugby.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Nah it's not Hawke. From other photos I've seen, and also in the final, the player on far left wore the number 3 shirt that Jordan Smiler had on.

I think it's from left to right it's Speight (obscured), unknown, A Smith, van der Walt, Coleman, Prior (obscured), Cox, Hawke, Oosthuizen, Iona, Holmes (obscured)
Kneeling are Smiler and C Fainga'a.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Watching the replay of the 7's final last night I was struck by how much they played like a Jake White-era Brumbies team, even with Larkham as the coach. The Brumbies were aggressive in defence, the breakdown and the set piece, and had big players like Oosthuizen imposing themselves physically, rather than just relying on speed.

Even the commentators remarked that they were the best drilled team in the competition.

It was the most like a 15's game plan that I have seen in a 7's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.