• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Zac Holmes for example was unwanted at the Force who will start 2013 with an unqualified South African and an Aussie journeyman.

And Kyle Godwin.

I think it is difficult for teams to carry multiple young prospects in any one position.

Super Rugby is pretty unforgiving, particularly after your team has suffered a couple of injuries in a position.

Realistically, Holmes moved to Sydney to play Shute Shield to further his rugby career. At that point, it becomes just as likely that any other franchise will sign him as his local team, the Force.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Smith is common in South Africa, as is Smit.

I remember LG saying that Juan Smith's surname was ironic when compared to John Smit; Smit has the British heritage of the two while Smith has the Afrikaan background.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
It's actually Ruan, but that's ok.

It's lekker that he can still braai though.

Rumour has it that all players will be have 'van' or 'van der' in their names. e.g. Stephen van der Moore, Clyde van Rathbone etc.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Brumbies side for 2013:

1. Ben du Alexander
2. Stephen van der Moore
3. Daan Palmer
4. Sam Strauss-Carter
5. Schalk Fardy
6. Pieter Kimlin
7. Danie Pocock
8. Fotu Aulea
9. Nic van der Whithuizen
10. CJ van der Lealiifano
11. Chester Speight
12. Pät McCabe
13. Andrew Smit
14. Jean de Tomane
15. Percy Moggomery

Fotu's name is mean enough as it is.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Brumbies side for 2013:

1. Ben du Alexander
2. Stephen van der Moore
3. Daan Palmer
4. Sam Strauss-Carter
5. Schalk Fardy
6. Pieter Kimlin
7. Danie Pocock
8. Fotu Aulea
9. Nic van der Whithuizen
10. CJ van der Lealiifano
11. Chester Speight
12. Pät McCabe
13. Andrew Smit
14. Jean de Tomane
15. Percy Moggomery

Fotu's name is mean enough as it is.

Sorry but almost spat my coffe out at Percy Moggomery. Pure gold!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Smith is common in South Africa, as is Smit.

I remember LG saying that Juan Smith's surname was ironic when compared to John Smit; Smit has the British heritage of the two while Smith has the Afrikaan background.

That was a blast from the past. What I wrote was:

• Springboks John Smit and Juan Smith. The surname of the first makes it appear that he's an Afrikaner and the second, a soutie, or non-Afrikaner, but it's the other way around.

According to John his forebears were originally Afrikaner, as his surname would indicate, but the family switched in recent generations and are English speaking now. According to Juan, who is very Afrikaans: an English soldier, one of the visiting side in the Boer War, had his way with his great-grandmother.

As for the derivation of the word “soutie”: that's another story.

Reactions: DPK
Status
Not open for further replies.