• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Brumbies pack 2012 is fitter, faster, bigger, there’s a massive difference... and hungrier by all Kingsleys steak house reports

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Haha fair enough.

In all seriousness I think the Brumbies will be last in the Aussie conference and close to last overall. They just don't have the depth or experience to match it with most other sides, as well as lacking good quality players in key positions (especially in the backline). Basically I wonder how they are going to score tries.

I see this as a rebuilding year for the Brumbies, to build towards a top 10 performance in 2013 and finals in 2014 and 2015. I am looking forward to seeing the progress of Colby Fainga'a, Michael Hooper, Matt To'omua, Robbie Coleman etc. There is a lot of talent there, for sure. Just not enough for 2012 I think.

But I could be wrong, as I have been on countless ocassions before. And I hope I am, I want all Aussie sides to do well. But I just can't see it happening for the Brumbies this year.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not sure if the question is meant as a joke.

But if not, he is the Force #6. And generally causes the opposition more trouble at the breakdown than Pocock at super rugby level (IMO). Probably because teams heavily focus on taking Pocock out of the game.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Haha fair enough.

I see this as a rebuilding year for the Brumbies,

But I could be wrong, as I have been on countless ocassions before. And I hope I am, I want all Aussie sides to do well.

OK my serve... tennis fans...

I'll agree with these thin points, however many S15 teams are rebuilding and many are already carrying older player injuries from RWC. Importantly this isn’t a problem for the Brumbies this year. Another interesting point for the Brumbies is their draw, they don’t play either the Crusaders or the Stormers this season... in the round matches... that’s a nice help when your chasing 4-5 points every week... And they play the Sharks, Cheetahs, Highlanders, and Blues at home. Its a favourable draw for a rebuilding year... I think they'll surprise and also I think the Reds will under perform this year as teams have worked them out. The Rebels dont have apack to give enough ball to JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale. The Waratahs are likely the strongest looking aussie team, but are still very beatable.

24 Feb Brumbies vs. Force Canberra Stadium, Canberra
10 Mar Brumbies vs. Cheetahs Canberra Stadium, Canberra
16 Mar Chiefs vs. Brumbies Bay Park Stadium, Tauranga
24 Mar Brumbies vs. H'landers Canberra Stadium, Canberra
31 Mar Brumbies vs. Sharks Canberra Stadium, Canberra
06 Apr Reds vs. Brumbies Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
14 Apr Brumbies vs. Rebels Canberra Stadium, Canberra
22 Apr Bulls vs. Brumbies Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
28 Apr Lions vs. Brumbies Coca-Cola Park, Johannesburg
05 May Brumbies vs. Waratahs Canberra Stadium, Canberra
18 May Hurricanes vs. Brumbies Westpac Stadium, WELLINGTON
26 May Brumbies vs. Reds Canberra Stadium, Canberra
01 Jun Rebels vs. Brumbies AAMI Park, Melbourne
30 Jun Force vs. Brumbies nib Stadium, Perth
07 Jul Waratahs vs. Brumbies ANZ Stadium, Sydney
14 Jul Brumbies vs. Blues Canberra Stadium, Canberra

Print

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well no other Aussie teams are rebuilding, they all have established squads.

And agree the Brumbies don't have the problem of injured internationals from the RWC. Mainly because they have very few internationals at all. So swings and roundabouts I suppose.

OK, so now put your balls on the line. Where will they finish?

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
in tennis when the ball oin the line its called in.... :) Brumbies can finish between 4-8 with a little luck on their side.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Well no other Aussie teams are rebuilding, they all have established squads.

And agree the Brumbies don't have the problem of injured internationals from the RWC. Mainly because they have very few internationals at all. So swings and roundabouts I suppose.

OK, so now put your balls on the line. Where will they finish?

Well thats not true.... The Force rebuild every year, and the Rebels are still building... the Reds are without their star play maker and must adjust or fail, the Tahs are the only ones not really rebuilding but will be trying to get Elsom and Vickerman in the squad with the Yarpie scrum half so no combo inteh halfs for the Tahs mate..., they also have a new coach and coaching structure... so some rebuilding in Sydney also...

Outside that the Bulls and Sharks are rebuilding, the Blues and Chiefs and Canes are rebuilding, and the Highlanders are always rebuilding...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
No, the Force are a largely settled squad, with only a few changes in the backline for 2012. The forward pack will be largely the same, in fact probably a carbon copy of 2011. They have a core of established Wallabies and other very experienced players- Pocock, Sharpe, McCalman, Brown, Hodgson, Cowan, Shepherd, Sheehan, Cummins.

The Rebels will be playing a pretty similar pack to last season, with some stars brought in to boost the backline. It isn't 'rebuilding' as they have nothing to rebuild.

The Reds and Tahs are both established squads chocked full of Wallabies. Sure they have challenges, but nothing like the Brumbies.

The Brumbies have brought in Jake White with a mandate to shake up the joint. There have been considerable changes in personell in both playing and coaching departments. This was very much needed, and a good move from those at Brumbies HQ. But I don't think it will pay instant dividends, and a 4th-8th finish is very wishful thinking IMO.

But the fundamental problem is a lack of top quality Wallabies. They only have Alexander, Moore and McCabe. And then Kimlin, Palmer and Lealiifano on the next tier. That just isn't enough to challenge for a finals spot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Rebels have possibly the weakest pack in the tournament, and despite bringing in 2 backline stars they're still surrounded by the worst defensive players...

I would take a rebuilding team over a nothing team...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Rebels are a nothing team? What?

They have a substantially better backline than the Brumbies. Yes their forward pack isn't great, but they have some good young up and comers- Saffy, Pyle, Jones, Alo-Emilie. Plus Delve and Robinson are classy. The front row is the obvious weakness, but it isn't hopeless. Frankly the forwards weren't the cause of the Rebels problems in 2011. It was their defence. Will that change? Maybe, maybe not. The same culprits are still there, but you would think they would be working hard in the offseason to overcome it.

Why do you care so much about the Rebels anyway? There are 13 other teams in the comp to worry about.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Frankly the forwards weren't the cause of the Rebels problems in 2011. It was their defence. Will that change? Maybe, maybe not. The same culprits are still there, but you would think they would be working hard in the offseason to overcome it.

Why do you care so much about the Rebels anyway? There are 13 other teams in the comp to worry about.

And they'll be working on it with one of the best in the business watching over them... Muggleton.

That must be worth a few points a game at least:)

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Rebels second season are building a team... The force are rebuilding a frontrow and back line
No, the Force are a largely settled squad, with only a few changes in the backline for 2012. The forward pack will be largely the same, in fact probably a carbon copy of 2011. They have a core of established Wallabies and other very experienced players- Pocock, Sharpe, McCalman, Brown, Hodgson, Cowan, Shepherd, Sheehan, Cummins.

The Rebels will be playing a pretty similar pack to last season, with some stars brought in to boost the backline. It isn't 'rebuilding' as they have nothing to rebuild.

The Reds and Tahs are both established squads chocked full of Wallabies. Sure they have challenges, but nothing like the Brumbies.

The Brumbies have brought in Jake White with a mandate to shake up the joint. There have been considerable changes in personell in both playing and coaching departments. This was very much needed, and a good move from those at Brumbies HQ. But I don't think it will pay instant dividends, and a 4th-8th finish is very wishful thinking IMO.

But the fundamental problem is a lack of top quality Wallabies. They only have Alexander, Moore and McCabe. And then Kimlin, Palmer and Lealiifano on the next tier. That just isn't enough to challenge for a finals spot.

Wallabies aren't that important in the first year after the world cup... The Wallabies were pretty average in the RWC... with a few lucky to be there...

You're all swing but no points... You need to read my post more closely, I said the Rebels are still building a team... the Force have to rebuild every year after key players leave, Giteau, Petorius, JOC (James O'Connor) and Ripia. Now they dont have a goals kicker to boot. I dont think Sheps ankle is up to it and Sheehan couldn't kick over a sand castle... Shep offers little as he eally really hasn't played much rugby for 2-3 years... I 'm not even sure why they keep giving him a contract.

Their strength is an old lock Sharpie and young Dave Pocock thats it... its not enough... and Graham is an average coach who recently said "we need to score more tries to win matches", jeez a bloody genius...

Tahs cant get the ball to the wingers... and have no established halves combo... Reds are lost without Quade Cooper, they've spent 2 years trying to understand how to play beside "Rocks and Diamonds Coops", and now are looking at Harris. They'll have a difficult season building combos...

The Brumbies cleaned house however To'omua and Lealiifano have been playing and training together for year 4 years now... They also have Nic White who is the best scrum half prospect in the country by miles.... At least they've been honest enough to say that they're rebuilding...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Basically MS I think you are taking the piss. But since I am bored at the moment I thought I would rise to the bait and address your points.

Rebels second season are building a team... The force are rebuilding a frontrow and back line

What is wrong with the Force frontrow? They have the Longbottom, Cowan, Charles and Whittaker. Sure they have lost Dunning and gained Ma'afu, but that is hardly rebuilding.

Wallabies aren't that important in the first year after the world cup... The Wallabies were pretty average in the RWC... with a few lucky to be there...

So are you saying not having Wallabies is a good thing? Surely you can at least admit the Brumbies are a bit lacking in experienced players compared to other sides.

The Force have to rebuild every year after key players leave, Giteau, Petorius, JOC (James O'Connor) and Ripia. Now they dont have a goals kicker to boot. I dont think Sheps ankle is up to it and Sheehan couldn't kick over a sand castle... Shep offers little as he eally really hasn't played much rugby for 2-3 years... I 'm not even sure why they keep giving him a contract.

So the Force don't have a great backline. But how is that better than the Brumbies one? They have quality wingers in Cummins and Nalaga. Who do the Brumbies have? The Force have some good young players (Dellitt, Winston Stanley etc) and some more experienced ones (Sheehan, Shep- you may think they are over the hill but I both think they are pretty good Super players). Just like the Brumbies. Which leaves the forwards...

Their strength is an old lock Sharpie and young Dave Pocock thats it...

... and Ben McCalman and Matt Hodgson and Richard Brown, who are all international class players. And Sam Wykes and Nathan Charles, both good up and comers. The Brumbies have a good front row and some good backrowers, but don't have the overall class of the Force. Yet.

Tahs cant get the ball to the wingers... and have no established halves combo...

But the Brumbies have no established halves combos either! To'omua barely played 10 and White never played 9!

And your assetion that the Tahs can't get the ball to the wings is baseless. Drew Mitchell ripped it up in the first half of last season, so he obviously must have got the ball a couple of times. Even Sos Anesi bagged a few tries! The Tahs scored more tries than any other Aussie side, hardly the act of a team who don't spread the ball.

Reds are lost without Quade Cooper, they've spent 2 years trying to understand how to play beside "Rocks and Diamonds Coops", and now are looking at Harris. They'll have a difficult season building combos...

What a load of utter shite.

The Brumbies cleaned house however To'omua and Lealiifano have been playing and training together for year 4 years now... They also have Nic White who is the best scrum half prospect in the country by miles.... At least they've been honest enough to say that they're rebuilding...

Yeah To'omua and Lilo have trained together for years, so they must be world class!!! You can say that about the Aussie front row, but how does that always pan out?

So overall you are right. The Brumbies will win the Aussie conference by miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.