• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's a bit of talk around that Julian Salvi may head back to the UK, despite having a year to run on his contract. I guess with 3 opensides in Salvi, Colby Fainga'a and Michael Hooper, that position is well covered and I think it's safe to say that Salvi hasn't lived up to expectations after coming back from the UK, which is a little disappointing.

The other chat is that Ben Mowen could be coming down the highway and playing in Canberra next year. He will be a good replacement for Mitchell Chapman as a lineout caller and also that other number 6...

This would just be the best thing to happen for the Brumbies...

I'm not too confident having Fotu as our starting 6, and Salvi is really making up the numbers as he's been unable to discover his pre-UK form and has been a constant penalty generator since his return...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Ben Mowen wold be welcome... With rookie Vaea having such a strong season Salvi winning a starting role is slim.

M

mackaboi

[
11. Smith (or another big strong winger)

John Grant I reckon should be the winger. He's big, fast, strong and has been a standout winger in the shute shield for a few seasons now. He plays for Eastwood and I think he also played seven sthis year

T

TOCC

I think John Grant is still a work in progress, definetly has the phsical attributes to make it at the top level, i just think his positioning and reading of the game needs to improve somehat, it would be good to see him involved in one of the programs to actual develop though.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
As with so many I feel somebody needs to take a punt on Grant and ask him to step up. He has had some issues with defence and I adhere to the adage about it being about attitude. He has the skills and physical attributes and somebody just needs to get him to take that next step, maybe White is the man. He is fast :) moving on from a "work in progress" to being a "could have been".

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Also concur on Grant. Somewhere a Super rugby franchise has to pick him up, because I think the bloke has talent and with the right coaching could become a very good player at this level. Mowen to the Brumbies would also be an excellent move.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Also concur on Grant. Somewhere a Super rugby franchise has to pick him up, because I think the bloke has talent and with the right coaching could become a very good player at this level. Mowen to the Brumbies would also be an excellent move.

Mowen to the Mules is not a good move TBH. He can stay at the Tahs and the Mules can resign Elsom, regardless of what you think of Elsom and the hype surrounding him Mowen has played a couple of games more than Elsom has managed in the last couple of years. Its a farce that the Tahs are even considering dismissing one of their most consistant and best forwards.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Elsom isn't coming back to the Brumbies full stop. That boat sailed along time ago.

Salvi is apparently linked with Leicester.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Sign Mowen, today Coach White... but hold on the Brumbies may need a seasoned lock first... Tahs don't know if he is a No.8 or a blindside ninja, I'm sure White can help him out here...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I reckon Mowen would definitely play at 6, so you could have:

6. Mowen
7. Fainga'a/Hooper (I'm leaning towards Hooper)
8. Vaea

Plus one of either Fainga'a or Hooper, Hoiles and Fotu fighting it out for a bench spot... or a 5/2 bench split with Fotu covering backrow and centre...

The Brumbies definitely need another lock regardless, but losing Salvi and getting Mowen would work out perfectly as they're lacking another big backrower and 3 opensides is too many...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I agree Slim, the backrow stocks are good, but the tight five is where the Brumbies need to recruit, keeping Kimlin is a must as he is someone who i think will really become a centrepiece of a solid forward pack.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kimlin is thankfully locked in, but his partners in the second row are not that impressive...

There's Sam Carter is who is a promising young rookie (although was poor in his brief appearance against the Rebels), and Ben Hand (decent enough workrate but getting past it)...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Kimlin is thankfully locked in, but his partners in the second row are not that impressive...

I don't rate Ben Hand very highly. Like you say, he's working, but not at the level that you would expect. Tight five players need that ability to absolutely smash players at the breakdown and in defence while maintaining all the set-piece skills associated with their respective positions. I don't think Ben Hand is in that category. Look at the likes of Nathan Sharpe, Brad Thorn and Victor Matfield - they just work and work and clear out rucks all game.

A good tight five player may not get noticed all game for being flashy, but their credit comes when the backline are going forward with fast, clean ball and the Richie McCaw's of the world are looking for them bearing down.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Some comments on players mentioned:

• Hand always does his best but often that has not been good enough for Super Rugby. He was a light weight player at the Tahs and hasn't changed.

• Salvi is a product of Friend's poor recruiting policy as I have said before. If Salvi wants to be released from his contract, let it happen.

• Fotu will only play in the 2nd half of the season; so don't get too excited about him for the 1st half.

• I have given John Grant faint praise in the past for not being a good enough footie player for Super Rugby but every time I see the Eastwood flyer play this year he seems to step up in that department. Much the same could be said about the Randwick speedster, Clinton Sills.

The Brumbies have had a look at both of these players in the past so if they don't pick up one of them for next year maybe Grant and Sills are not progressing as much as I think.

But there is not too much point in talking about players unless there is room for them. What is the up to the minute list of players contracted for next year, including foreign players but not rookies?

Props
Hookers
2nd row
Backrow
Scrum halves
Fly halves
Centres
Back three

Rookies – list any rookies contracted (Tomane would not be categorised as a rookie.)

Then we can see where there is both need and room.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
But there is not too much point in talking about players unless there is room for them. What is the up to the minute list of players contracted for next year, including foreign players but not rookies?

Props
Hookers
2nd row
Backrow
Scrum halves
Fly halves
Centres
Back three

LG,

This might help. I dug this up from about a month or so ago and have updated from what I can remember.

Forwards:
Ben Alexander (2013)
Colby Fainga'a (2013)
Stephen Moore (2013)
Ben Hand (2012)
Michael Hooper (2012)
Dan Palmer (2012)
Julian Salvi (2012)
Jerry Yanuyanutawa (2012*) * if he is selected for Fiji in the RWC this becomes and void and then would be considered a marquee player.
Stephen Hoiles (2012)
Ita Vaea (2013)
Jono Owen (2013)
Sam Carter (2013)
Fotu Auelua (2013)
Peter Kimlin (2013)

Backs:
Robbie Coleman (2013)
Christian Lealiifano (2012)
Andrew Smith (2012)
Matt To'omua (2012)
Henry Speight (2012)
Nic White (2012)
Ed Stubbs (2012)
Cam Crawford (2013)
Pat McCabe - still to be signed but looks like staying
Joseph Tomane (2013)

Jake White has indicated he would go for a 16/14 split between forwards and backs.

Unlikely/not coming back:
Rocky Elsom
Patrick Phibbs
Tyrone Smith
Josh Valentine
Samu Wara

With the academy situation for next year the way it's looking, the rookies aren't finalised and probably far from it.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'd wager that unless Henry Vanderglas is picked up by another club on a full time contract, he will be part of the wider training group as he was this year, complementing his 7's commitments

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I've lost a lot of faith in To'omua as the standalone flyhalf in the squad. He has regressed significantly this season and unless he shows something come preseason (which I hope he does), I suspect Coleman will take his place at 10. Leaving Lealiifano at 12 or 15.

T

TOCC

IMO that would be an absolute mistake, Coleman is talented but he isn't a Super Rugby 5/8, To'omua has the talent, just needs a bit of time and investment in his development.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
below says Fotu Auelua will be available next January after his stint with the Japanese club.

"The 189cm, 115kg No8 made a brief visit to the club on Monday ahead of his departure to Japan at the weekend.

Having finished up at the star-studded Toulon, Auelua will play a season with Japanese club team NTT Communications and then join Jake White's Brumbies next January."

To'omua has the skills and time to play plenty of shute shield rugby with the Beasts. He'll spend the preseason and spring tour fitting in with the new scrum halves. the lesson is with young guys like To'omua if you keep them as back up players and they don't get game time they loose overall form, however the core talent is still there. Larkham will sort him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.