• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
I spoke to Jerry Y today and asked him about his box squat max. He said it was 300kg and possibly could have done more.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I spoke to Jerry Y today and asked him about his box squat max. He said it was 300kg and possibly could have done more.

Here's a link to a video of him doing a box squat of 6 reps with 260kg. According to the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) Coefficients used to determine 1RM, that would equate to a single rep of 323kg. It was done the week after the 2008 Sydney Premiership Grand Final in which he played a storming game. Under the Brumbies training regime he no longer does really heavy lifting, particularly during the playing season.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Stade are recruiting weirdly, 7 players are already over 30 with another 5 27 and above.

Good luck Frankie, wished he had stayed as I rate him a bit. Good step and pace on him, he will probably go quite well in France.

T

tranquility

He is not much good either. What are you doing Cheika?

However having just looked at the other signings; David Lyons, Contepomi, Paul Warwick, Kelleher and Sackey are all good signings.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He is not much good either. What are you doing Cheika?

However having just looked at the other signings; David Lyons, Contepomi, Paul Warwick, Kelleher and Sackey are all good signings.

Another Randwick boy ............................

T

tranquility

Brumbies 2012 squad taking shape...

So far looking like:

Props: Ben Alexander, Dan Palmer, Jono Owen, Jerry Yanuyanutawa*

Hookers: Stephen Moore, Siliva Siliva

Locks: Peter Kimlin, Sam Carter, Ben Hand, ?

Backrow: Colby Fainga'a, Michael Hooper, Ita Vaea, Julian Salvi, Fotu Auelua, Stephen Hoiles

Scrumhalves: Nic White, Ian Prior

Flyhalves: Matt To'omua, Christian Lealiifano, ?

Centres: Robbie Coleman, Pat McCabe, Ed Stubbs, Andrew Smith

Wing/Fullbacks: Henry Speight, Cam Crawford, Kimani Sitauti, Joseph Tomane, ?

So, there's two spots remaining in the backs for what I presume will be left open to a possible backup playmaker as Lilo will play fullback, and another outside back...

In the forwards there is only space left for a lock.

Would love to pick up Mowen as most of our backrowers are on the lighter side, but that would mean getting rid of Salvi which would be great, but not going to happen.

Jerry Y's position is not final as he'll be playing for Fiji at the RWC and that will change his contract situation.

Wouldn't Robbie Coleman be the backup flyhalf, if you wanted to keep Lealifano at the back?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Coleman has played a lot at flyhalf for Queanbeyan in the John I Dent Cup... but I do wonder if it's too soon to burden him with that responsibility?

Although, I guess Lilo would shift to flyhalf if To'omua went down, and Crawford would push back to fullback...

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There's a report in the Sunday Mail today saying that Tomane signed with the Brumbies yesterday on a 2 year deal.

Also news that the ARU is looking to give Shannon Walker a 7's contract which is a good move.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I saw walker play qld cup a few years ago and thought he was going to be the next big thing. But he got found out a bit at nrl level.

For those of you who havn't seen him, he's Australia's answer to cecil afrika...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...-piece-of-the-puzzle/2199422.aspx?storypage=3

The missing piece of the puzzle

18 Jun, 2011 12:00 AM

It's a bleak afternoon by the lake and Peter Kimlin has just finished describing his life, including his happy childhood growing up in Canberra.
The youngest child of Cynthia and Christopher, Kimlin was a favourite plaything of his older sisters Victoria and Belinda.

''They dressed me up all the time and I was their little doll. They used to dress me up as superheroes, Batman or Superman or things like that,'' he says.

The chat about his life and his rugby ambitions is just wrapping up and the photographer standing nearby is looking at his watch.

So a last question is put to Kimlin. Is there anything he'd like to add?

Usually this is the point where a player says we've covered everything and the interview ends, or they go on to reveal an interest in greyhounds or classical guitar or something like that.

But as Kimlin sits, taps his feet and appears to be searching his mind for that something extra, he knows there's a big piece that's missing from his life puzzle.

Finally he decides to bring it out and place it down. And then a lot of other things make sense.

''I don't really tell many people this, but I had a brother, Hamish, and he passed away when I was 16,'' Kimlin says.

''He was a massive influence on my life and not a day goes by when I don't think about him.''

So the interview has to go on and the photographer will have to be late to that next job.

Kimlin crosses his arms as the wind picks up and shares his very personal story. Hamish took his own life in 2002. He'd battled depression and had been in and out of mental health clinics before it got too much.

''I was quite naive at the time. I didn't really read too much into it until it actually happened. It was only then that I realised it was a real sickness he had. I thought everything was going to be all right.''

Kimlin explains his initial reluctance to mention Hamish. It has nothing to do with any shame about his brother's death. It's more about his own natural guardedness and also the discomfort many people feel about discussing a family member who has died tragically, no matter the circumstances.

''I don't talk about it much. I don't tell someone when I first meet them that I had a brother and two sisters, because they'll be like, 'how old's your brother' and I'll have to explain it.

''It's not that I'm ashamed of it happening, but I don't really want to be in that situation, almost that I don't want people to feel sorry for me.''

Right now Kimlin is 25, the same age Hamish was when he took his life. Nine years his senior, Hamish was the same kind of strapping athlete as Kimlin. Both boys went through Canberra Grammar School nine years apart and their sisters through Canberra Girls' Grammar.

''He was a very tall specimen and a very handy wicketkeeper. He was actually in front of Brad Haddin at one stage,'' Kimlin says.

As he's made plain, Kimlin doesn't want his brother's story to define his own. And nor should it. With 43 Brumbies caps and two Test caps to his name, Kimlin is writing an exciting story of his own.

Yet, the loss of his only brother does explain things about Kimlin.

For one, his earlier statement that he's ''big on family''.

At the time of Hamish's death, Kimlin's sisters were living away in Queensland and the Northern Territory. They came home and have stayed home and the family is closer than it was before. Kimlin's sister Belinda has honoured the memory of her late brother by naming a son Hamish.

It also largely explains why Kimlin will be with the Brumbies next year and not the Western Force, who he says was ''very close'' to luring him west.

''I love my family and nephews and nieces and I'd find it so hard not being close to them,'' he says.

While his heart kept him here in Canberra, it could very easily have led the first red-haired Brumby away to Perth. Kimlin's girlfriend, Jasmine Keene, is a West Australian. They met three years ago in Mooseheads, the nightclub that has launched a thousand relationships, long and short. Keene was at the AIS on a netball scholarship and has since gone on to play in the national league for the West Coast Fever and Adelaide Thunderbirds.

Released from the Thunderbirds early this year, she returned to Canberra to be with Kimlin and now plays in the ACT netball competition.

''Meeting Jasmine was a great time in my life and I love her very much. I've really connected with her and it helps we have similar passions.''

Crass as it might be to treat sporting couples like thoroughbreds, if Kimlin, 198cm, and Keene, 191cm, were to have children, they'd have some pedigree.

Not only are they both tall, elite athletes, Keene's father Laurie was a 202cm AFL ruckman with the West Coast Eagles, playing 36 games in a career blighted by injury. If the WA ''in-laws'' struggle to understand this east coast game Kimlin plays, Laurie's experience of injury would at least encourage empathy for Kimlin's situation in recent years.

After a breakout season for the Brumbies in 2008, when he played every game, Kimlin was selected for that year's Wallabies spring tour.

He played his first game for the Wallabies in a non-Test against the Barbarians.

It was a two-minute showing and so he was unkindly dubbed ''Noodles'' (these days it's more likely be plain ''Kimmo'' or variations on the self explanatory Fanta, including ''Two Litre'').

The next winter he made his Test debut, at home in Canberra against Italy.

He earned his second cap a week later in Melbourne.

Since then though, the dream has been put on ice.

A shoulder nerve injury on the Brumbies' development tour of France in 2009 turned into an ordeal and he missed the entire 2010 Super Rugby season. A stint with Exeter to regain his form came to a premature end when he injured his knee.

During this time, Kimlin says he was often in a ''dark place'', and rugby was the furthest thing from his mind. Happily though he's re-emerged into the fold.

This year Kimlin has played 13 matches and starts against the Waratahs tonight at lock. He admits he hasn't rediscovered the form of 2008-09 yet, when his athleticisim and handling skills, honed on the basketball court as a teenage wannabe Michael Jordan, marked him a player on the rise.

But he holds hope that Robbie Deans hasn't forgotten about him as he pencils names down for his World Cup squad.

''I can't see into the selectors' minds,'' Kimlin says.

''But if I'm given the opportunity, I'll certainly make the most of it.''

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Certainly made for a sobering and compelling read. Looking forward to Peter recovering his form and playing strongly for the ACT next year.

T

tranquility

Yeah, I agree it was a great read. The journalism was also very good.

I rate Peter Kimlin very highly, and this shows that he is a fantastic and humble bloke to boot.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Another Randwick boy ............................

It seems a stretch, but there may be method in his madness. Randwick players are (or used to be anyway) taught the "Randwick" game plan. Having a group of players at SF who have done it before might speed up the learning process.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Meanwhile incoming Brumbies coach Jake White is still assessing a range of South African players in the hope of securing a marquee lock or outside back for next year. Danie Rossouw remains an option, despite his commitments to a Japanese club, however it's still not clear which other players might be available in the post World Cup. The club has also had talks with NSW Waratahs flanker Ben Mowen.

R

Richard D. James

A good South African lock or Mowen would be just what we need. The pack is starting to look quite good, just a few missing pieces.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the problem is that if they sign Mowen they really do need another lock... and there's no more forward spots unless they count on a rookie which is not ideal when their second rowers so far consist of Kimlin, Carter and Hand...

That's unless JON comes to his senses and expands the squad sizes...

But common sense and ARU don't go together...

The Brumbies will most likely be shedding a few of their forwards after next year anyways so even just one more year with an expanded squad size would be ideal...

I doubt Salvi and Hoiles will be here after 2012...

Status
Not open for further replies.