• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheNextBigThing

Cam Crawford signed this week. 2nd top tryscorer in the shute shield. About 190cm and 99kg. Best at fullback but also plays well on the wing.

There's your finisher.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
He I am not making a mistake, Viliami Iongi is playing for Queanbeyan and has played for the Brumby Runners?
He has scored for tries yesterday in the Churchill Cup game between Tonga and USA.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
He (Tomane) apparently spent a year at Nudgee college and played Australian Schoolboys with JOC (James O'Connor), for what it's worth.

And was the player of the 2007 Oz Schools tournament IMO. It was more that JOC (James O'Connor) played with him. He was a starting Oz Schools winger; JOC (James O'Connor) was a utility back on the bench.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
To quote myself

Crawford is a good player, rangy and big enough - though not most likely not 103 kgs as the ABC had him last week. He's been playing fullback for Norths but, though he played there some in Colts, he's not a good enough footie player yet to play there in senior rugby IMO. He's really a winger who could become a fullback at the Super level after training full time in the Brumbies stable - and he has a bit of toe which is what the Brumbies need.

He could turn out OK but I would have grabbed somebody like Aidan Toua instead. He is good now.

I reiterate that I think he's better on the wing, where he can learn part of the fullback trade properly. It's not than he has played fullback all the time: he used to be a 10.

Geez, he has porked up this year. The ABC had him listed as 93kgs in 2010.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
And was the player of the 2007 Oz Schools tournament IMO. It was more that JOC (James O'Connor) played with him. He was a starting Oz Schools winger; JOC (James O'Connor) was a utility back on the bench.

9 tries was it Lee haha

Would love to see Tomane back in union, big winger/13 with a step and fend. Would bring a new dimension Digby-style to any team he played with. Heard a few reports from NRL fans that he is a bit shabby in defence . Nothing wrong with his attack though and he's a goal kicker as well.

Was hoping the Force would nab him to replace Smith but it wasn't to be. Brumbies will do well with their backs next year if they lure him.

9. White
10. To'omua
11. Tomane
12. Coleman
13. McCabe
14. Speight / Sills / "the rapid one"
15. Lilo

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Tomane just scored a freakish try on his GCT return.

Will update at the end of the match.

He hasn't missed any tackles yet but just lost a high ball

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies put faith in youth

Chris Dutton
June 12, 2011

AS THE Brumbies farewell the biggest group of departing players in their history, it's time to meet those who Jake White will entrust to rebuild the club next year.

Chances are most Brumbies fans haven't heard much about Kimami Sitauti, Ian Prior or Siliva Siliva.

But the boom rookies are about to be added to an exciting list of young talent for 2012 and beyond.

The Brumbies will lose some of their most experienced players after the last game of the season against the NSW Waratahs on Saturday.

Matt Giteau, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Mark Chisholm head a list of at least 10 players who will leave.

Instead, White will rely on youth, enthusiasm and raw talent to make his stint in the capital successful.

It is expected Sitauti (outside back), Prior (halfback), Siliva (hooker) and Joseph Tomane (outside back) will all sign with the Brumbies in the coming weeks.

That leaves three roster spots for White to fill. One will be taken by a lock but the coach wants to add strike power out wide.

That's where Sitauti - an Australian sevens star - and NRL back Tomane come into the picture.

And after watching the Brumbies this season, White wants to bring in players who can add an X-factor to his back line.

''One of the things that has happened this season is that the Brumbies have had more line breaks than most teams,'' White said.

''In fact, I think they're right near the top of the competition.

''But there's a reason why they're not finishing those line breaks and we're trying to find some people who can finish off when we create opportunities.

''The Brumbies are a team that like to hold the ball, put pressure on other teams and they break the line.

''But it counts for nothing if you can break the line and not finish; we need some guys who can finish on the outside.''

Chisholm and Mitchell Chapman's departures leave a hole in the lineout. White hopes to attract an experienced big man but ruled out Springbok Danie Rossouw, who will play in Japan.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies 2012 squad taking shape...

So far looking like:

Props: Ben Alexander, Dan Palmer, Jono Owen, Jerry Yanuyanutawa*

Hookers: Stephen Moore, Siliva Siliva

Locks: Peter Kimlin, Sam Carter, Ben Hand, ?

Backrow: Colby Fainga'a, Michael Hooper, Ita Vaea, Julian Salvi, Fotu Auelua, Stephen Hoiles

Scrumhalves: Nic White, Ian Prior

Flyhalves: Matt To'omua, Christian Lealiifano, ?

Centres: Robbie Coleman, Pat McCabe, Ed Stubbs, Andrew Smith

Wing/Fullbacks: Henry Speight, Cam Crawford, Kimani Sitauti, Joseph Tomane, ?

So, there's two spots remaining in the backs for what I presume will be left open to a possible backup playmaker as Lilo will play fullback, and another outside back...

In the forwards there is only space left for a lock.

Would love to pick up Mowen as most of our backrowers are on the lighter side, but that would mean getting rid of Salvi which would be great, but not going to happen.

Jerry Y's position is not final as he'll be playing for Fiji at the RWC and that will change his contract situation.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Kimani signed a 2 year contract with the Reds with Quirk, Gill etc, this year being the first year?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought Kimani signed a 2 year contract with the Reds with Quirk, Gill etc, this year being the first year?

I honestly don't know?

However, this is the second report from the Crimes this week indicating that he's coming south.

With the reduced squad sizes would he be getting a release from the Reds?

Or was it just a 1 year rookie contract?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hey BJ,

What's the word on McCabe's re-signing?

It's been widely reported that he's all but guaranteed to stay... but the wait makes me nervous...

T

tranquility

What is the name of that schoolboy from Canberra who is a blindside and was in Australian schoolboys last year? He is a gun!!! and should definitely be signed up for an academy spot next year. Otherwise I will give Link a bell and we can move him up north.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Jerry Y's position is not final as he'll be playing for Fiji at the RWC and that will change his contract situation.

I read that it's up to the Brumbies whether he plays for Fiji as he is contracted with them next year. They don't have to release him.

It would be a shame to lose him o/s just as he is beginning to start regularly, because I think he has potential.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Tom Cusack? From Marist, originally from up north apparently.

Has been a weapon this year in the ACTJRU competition.

T

tranquility

I think that's him. In the schoolboys against NZ last year, he and Browning were immense.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
From the stats I could find Joseph Tomane seems to have a 90% tackle completion rate (30 tackles, 3 missed), but he has only played 2 games. Hard to judge off 2 games.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
That back row looks on the light side to me which is a surprise. Jake used to like a big back row which suggest to me he is obviously thinking differently about things.

Surprised Salvi has made the cut. Really don't rate him.

I heard a rumour about Danie a couple of weeks ago fro ma mate in SA but didn't want to perpetuate it. Pity, but I think he has had enough.

So who could this experienced older lock be? Very interesting. A Kiwi? Saffer? Pom?

Get Sarel Pretorius Jake. Jeez he would fit that back line beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.