• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Not really to the point, but what I have noticed since the Brumbies glory days, is that the Tahs are not losing so many Sydney players to them as they did in earlier years. Of the current squad only loosie Michael Hooper (Manly) and THP Dan Palmer (Southern Districts) are recent players that I would like to have kept in town, and Palmer is a Warilla lad anyway. I'm not counting Elsom who we had lost earlier to Leinster.

And no, I'm not fishing; so to save time don't go mentioning great Brumbies who weren't from Sydney like Larkham, Roff and Gregan etc - it's just that we aren't moaning quite so much as we used to. It's probably a win-win situation anyway: the Brumbies are identifying more local players - and the Tahs don't lose so many to them.

The last young player we "lost" to the Brumbies that I remember gnashing my teeth over was AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Even before he went down the Hume Highway many of us here recognised his quality.

Not to the point of this post not to the point, but it will be interesting to see how many players the Tahs and other teams lose to the Rebels once the foreign players are phased out. I have given the ARU a pat on the back for enabling the Rebels to use foreigners to help the new team to get up and running but they probably deserve a double pat. The phasing out process will enable the other four teams to cope with inevitable player losses better than was the case when the Force started up.

How the Reds would have preferred the Force to have had this transitional period. They were going through a rebuilding phase then and the loss of so many more Queensland players, of sudden, set them back years.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
A good point Lee, that I hadn't really thought about as much.
Yes the opening years was a procession down the Hume/Federal highway of Sydney players when the Brumbies started and the joke was that we were 'Randwick South' a dig at the amount or Randwick players on the books (Finegan, Magro, Holbeck to name a few), but as you said it's not quite as obvious as then.

In saying that, the number of club players that started in Canberra and are now playing in Sydney is starting to rise. The Brumbies would prefer the players not in the International setup stayed in Canberra, but that battle will continue for a while yet I'd imagine.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
In saying that, the number of club players that started in Canberra and are now playing in Sydney is starting to rise. The Brumbies would prefer the players not in the International setup stayed in Canberra, but that battle will continue for a while yet I'd imagine.

It works both ways I suppose: if the non-Wallaby Brumbies stay in town it helps the standard of the ACT comp, but if they play in the Shute Shield it improves the game of the players more, especially the younger ones.

Catch-22.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's 5. So if you finish 3rd you're mid-table...

No. I think it will be the tahs and Brumbies progressing...

The reds will capitulate and the other two will pick ip a few scalps so the season isn't a complete write off...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Sydney hasn't really been producing the great OZ talent... Qld has... Brumbies have been picking up talent from the country and QLD even NZ. Less to pick from in Sydney these days... Furthermore Ben Alexander would be welcome in any team... I'm pleased to people taking see the pressure is off the brumbies this year... I'm looking forward to a young squad having a good run at the semis...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
You can't count Alexander as a Sydney product; not really. Sure he was born here and went to school here but the Brumbies identified him early and he was playing Colts in the ACT. They sent him over to play in England an he started to develop his senior game there.

When he got back to Oz he played in the ARC and we were all saying what a fine prop we had just identified as though nobody else had noticed - but the Brumbies were streets ahead of all of us.

I have no whinge if another Super outfit takes a punt and does that kind of thing with a young Sydney player.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Matt To'omua is a good example of a young player spotted early and signed by the Brumbies from south QLD. Ed Stubbs, Clinton Sills, Pat McCabe, A.Smith, Ben Hand, Jerry Yanuyanutawa, all players doing well is the sydney comp before signing wit the Brumbies. ACT home ground talent, Kimlin, Salvi, Edmonds, Giteau, C.Fainga'a, White and Coleman all in the line up. All the other OZ teams are full of past Brumbies players in their starting line up. The Brumbies recruiting is doing OK I think, but results have gone south for a while hopefully this year they'll do better.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-union/mccabe-hungry-for-tries/2048289.aspx

McCabe hungry for tries
BY CHRIS DUTTON RUGBY UNION
15 Jan, 2011 01:00 AM
Brumbies coach Andy Friend calls Pat McCabe the ''ultimate trainer'', and there's a reason.

Everything McCabe does has a purpose.

Even after his outstanding debut Super Rugby season with the ACT Brumbies, McCabe's not satisfied.

That's why the 22-year-old is already trying to improve his game just a week back into training.

For the past eight months there has been one statistic nagging away at him.

The versatile back played every minute of the Brumbies' 2010 season. But he scored just one try.

''If you're in the back three, [scoring tries] is where you can make your major contribution,'' McCabe said.

''To get just one try isn't enough for an outside back.

''I'd love to score a few more.

''That's where I could have made more of a contribution ... and I just want to get more involved in games.

''I think too often I waited for things to come my way [last year] and I didn't contribute as much as I wanted to.''

McCabe's hunger for improvement is music to Friend's ears.

Despite emerging as a star for the Brumbies, making his Wallabies debut, being named the ACT's best back and winning the Australian rookie of the year award, McCabe wants more.

He isn't going to relax in his second year in professional rugby.

That's not how McCabe operates.

The Brumbies are undecided how to use McCabe this season.

He was dynamic on the wing, but he can also play fullback and Wallabies coach Robbie Deans used him as an outside centre.

''Patty's the ultimate trainer,'' Friend said.

''He sits there and he listens, he's very knowledgeable and he does what he's asked to do and he does it at max intensity.

''Probably the way we're playing the game this year it will assist him [with getting more tries].

''He'll put a lot of smiles on a lot of faces if he can [get his try tally up], that would be great.

''He's a powerful runner, he picks holes well and I think he'll make an adjustment and hopefully we'll see him scoring more tries.''

McCabe's 2010 season panned out nothing like he had planned.

Originally he had hoped to be called on to Friend's bench for ''a couple of games''.

He never predicted he would play every minute of every match and establish himself as one of the most consistent performers.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That Rat is going to be a good'un I reckon. I'm not sure why he doesn't score more tries. Maybe he hasn't worked out to score them from the wing yet as fullback is his best spot. I think he has to develop a bit more of a swerve at pace as he seems to be a north and south runner.

Early days yet for Macca - early days - and the Brumbies haven't even used his ability to play every position from 10 up yet..

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I rate McCabe. I first saw him play fullback for CAS against a GPS side that included Beale at 5/8 and Turner at fullback. That afternoon he made so many last ditch tackles to stop GPS trys I turned to my son and said this bloke will play Super 14 one day.

Unfortunately, I think he lacks genuine pace for a wing spot.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah he played well that day at Knox in 2005, though Turner was always going to get the NSW Ones fullback spot. He made the Oz A Schools team that year which doesn't mean beans for senior rugby, as Genia was only in the reserves for Oz A Schools and he turned out to be a fairly decent player.

That was good spotting observer and I wish I could say the same about McCabe, but I didn't.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
To be fair on McCabe the Brumbies didn't score many tries with their outside backs last year, with many tight low scoring matches. They played down the middle, their highest try scorer was Alexander (go figure). Heres hoping they spread the ball wider this year and give the backs a run. Additionally we may see McCabe get sometime at full back in 2011 as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will undoubtedly play 13... . McCabe is competing for an outside back spot with Lealiifano, Franky Fainifo, Henry Speight, slippery Samu Wara, A.Smith and 7S speedster Clinton Sills... Really open for who will get a spot as Lealiifano will be first choice inside back... We will see a lot more of A. Smith this season but Speight look the goods in the NZ ITM Cup... Speight born in Fiji and played for Waikato is also available to play for the Wallabies...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn't think lilo was a first choice anything with To'omua and giteau the first choice flyhalf / inside centre combo...

And now Coleman is on the scene...

Lilo really should aim for fullback for the good of the team...

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
After reading reports from newspapers last season while Lilo was playing for Waikato, Friend felt he was hard done by not to make the Wallabies UK touring party after his strong performances @ inside centre for Waikato in the ITM Cup. I honestly think they will ease To'omua into the main playmaking role, although I could be wrong, I just think Lilo is a good option at Inside Centre with Gits at Flyhalf...but, I could see a To'omua/Giteau combo with Lilo at Fullback. I just think Lilo running game and play making ability @ Inside Centre is a better option. He would have learnt alot of Scott McLeod (ex All Black Centre) whilst in NZ.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
While I do think that Lilo would make for an excellent inside centre the Brumbies would be destroying their season by playing anyone other than To'omua at flyhalf, and that means giteau has to go to inside centre...

Status
Not open for further replies.