• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Anyway back to the topic of the thread. Free to air TV coverage would also help, but we are a cutely aware of the challenge :)

It's a huge challenge getting anything on FTA, unless of course the networks think that whatever sport it is will attract enough viewers to make a profit.

Sadly, rugby no longer fits this category - and neither does soccer actually, it's only on taxpayer bankrolled FTA where ratings don't count that soccer thrives. SBS is basically a propaganda arm of Soccer Australia and the game dovetails nicely with its demographic.

This is one thing over which the ARU have little or no control. Expanding our demographic is the only realistic hope of rugby getting on to FTA, and although that's something the ARU can do something about, I don't believe they have either the money, the will or the wit to do so.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Expanding the demographic sounds like a good idea, but it is much easier said than done.

The landscape has changed so much, and most of the change has been in the wrong direction for our game.

High Schools that used to play a lot of sport (including rugby) no longer play any, or just fiddle about. My school, an academically selective school produced quite a few first graders in both rugby and loig over the years, but will never produce another one. Except by accident.

This is partly because academic competitiveness is now the thing, and partly because of the demographic changes that have seen a lot of immigrants from Asia who, frankly, see sport as an unnecessary pastime with no particular value,

The one demographic change that should help us, the huge influx of New Zealanders and Pacific Islanders has turned into a boon for our main rival.

Rugby used to be a grass-roots sport, with lots of clubs of all kinds, from the subbies up to grade. Professionalism has changed all that irrevocably, for the worse, apparently. The grass-roots cannot sustain a semi-professional sport, which is what it has had to become at the entry level for kids leaving school.

Penrith and Parramatta should be the strongest clubs in the nation, based on demographics. The grass roots in their areas, however, apparently do not care enough to grow the game. Obviously there are just not enough volunteers and supporters - they are doing other things, like involving themselves in opposition codes which are either more attractive to them and their kids, or which are rich enough to provide their sport to kids as a gift.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^I agree it won't be easy and it certainly isn't going to happen in the short term. With the current rugby support based, there is simply no hope of getting rugby on to FTA.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
It's a huge challenge getting anything on FTA, unless of course the networks think that whatever sport it is will attract enough viewers to make a profit.

Sadly, rugby no longer fits this category - and neither does soccer actually, it's only on taxpayer bankrolled FTA where ratings don't count that soccer thrives. SBS is basically a propaganda arm of Soccer Australia and the game dovetails nicely with its demographic.

This is one thing over which the ARU have little or no control. Expanding our demographic is the only realistic hope of rugby getting on to FTA, and although that's something the ARU can do something about, I don't believe they have either the money, the will or the wit to do so.

You'd be right about that if the FFA weren't considering ending their agreement with SBS at the end of this season because of interest from commercial FTA networks (as well as dissatisfaction with their current deal)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You'd be right about that if the FFA weren't considering ending their agreement with SBS at the end of this season because of interest from commercial FTA networks (as well as dissatisfaction with their current deal)

They may or may not be satisfied with their SBS agreement, although FFA should be careful what they wish for. SBS have acted as a promotional and propaganda arm for the sport for years and matches are all shown at prime time on the main channel. Most sports (other than NRL, AFL & cricket) can only dream of the coverage that SBS provides to soccer. If rugby didn't have such an anglo-centric demographic, we could slot in nicely to the gaps on SBS left by any soccer departure. (BTW I don't think either circumstance will eventuate).

EDIT: SBS even move their news timeslots to fit in with the A league schedule.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The sad fact is for rugby to have any hope of FTA coverage in Aus, it will need to pull out of Super rugby.
A genuine domestic competition is the only hope the code has of FTA coverage and as such the only hope for genuine growth.
Super rugby is a pay TV product, was 20 years ago, is now and will be in 20 years.
The hard part is doing the hard yards, because that FTA will take time with a domestic comp.
Sadly long term planning & vision is the one thing that the ARU have never had.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Isn't soccer a bit problematic for FTA networks as there aren't that many breaks in play so it makes it difficult to jam in a lot of ads? Or will they be encouraging the players to feign injury (not that they need much encouragement) to make time for some ad breaks?

Or is the FFA's threat to move from SBS to an FTA network a bit like a rugby player expressing an interest in playing League/in Europe/in Japan when their contract is up for negotiation, i.e. just a bargaining tactic?

T

TOCC

Foxtel agreed to the A-League being broadcast on the SBS as they hoped it would spark a boost in ratings on Fox Sports... This hasn't occurred subsequently it is going to make it more difficult for the same to happen for rugby union

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I

Or is the FFA's threat to move from SBS to an FTA network a bit like a rugby player expressing an interest in playing League/in Europe/in Japan when their contract is up for negotiation, i.e. just a bargaining tactic?

It's my take on it.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Just found out from my mate last night that Foxtel play, with Sport, is now only $25 per month. Last year I paid $50 so I only got it for 3 months and I wasn't prepared to do it again. This is certainly the cheapest Super Rugby has ever been.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Just found out from my mate last night that Foxtel play, with Sport, is now only $25 per month. Last year I paid $50 so I only got it for 3 months and I wasn't prepared to do it again. This is certainly the cheapest Super Rugby has ever been.
Nah, it's still min $50. You need to buy a Genre pack and add the Sports Premium option.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think he's still on the 14 day free trial so he obviously read something wrong and will be confused when the bill goes through.

T

TOCC

It's still worth the $50, it's not a set term contract so you can cancel immediately following the season

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Really? I hadn't looked into it but I thought to get the new pricing I had to go onto a 12 month plan?
That's worth looking into as I've kept my higher pricing as things are a bit uncertain for me in the next few months so can't afford to be locked in for 12 months. Cheers for the heads up, I'll look into it!

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Im got foxtel play at the moment, and there's some discounted rate of 25 bucks for general and sports. But , and this is a big but, Ive tried to cancel it like 4 times and the system didn't accept it.. super rugby starts tonight so no point cancelling it again. .

EDIT: Foxtel Special Offer - Entertainment gets you a 25 buck credit each month..