• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

T

TOCC

Really? I hadn't looked into it but I thought to get the new pricing I had to go onto a 12 month plan?
That's worth looking into as I've kept my higher pricing as things are a bit uncertain for me in the next few months so can't afford to be locked in for 12 months. Cheers for the heads up, I'll look into it!

That's with Foxtel Go, so streaming it...
I think the cable boxes still have set term contracts

Foxtel Go suits me but I do miss the HD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Ahh ok cheers. That's the difference. I'm in a 'Regional Area' so streaming anything, let alone HD sports is not an option.

T

TOCC

Yep, it's good but not great... The frame rate struggles when they pan quickly as well....

On the subject of the broadcast rights, they are been signed off at the moment and should be released in coming weeks... ARU set to receive $35-40million/annum, a big jump

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Good news on the broadcast agreement!

Re the foxtel subscription, I pay $60 per month ($10 extra for HD). I predominantly get foxtel for Super Rugby, but I do enjoy the extra content (NRL, NBA, NFL, etc). Also, as a massive sports fan I'm offended by free to air's coverage of major sporting events. What is the bet the Rugby World Cup coverage on 10 is cringe worthy.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does anyone know the 10's RWC coverage is going to be like? Are they showing all matches live or only the Aus ones?

T

TOCC

Most of the games would be in the early hours of the morning, you'd imagine they would have nothing to lose by broadcasting all the major games, at least the ones with England and New Zealand... Who knows really :/

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Good news on the broadcast agreement!

Re the foxtel subscription, I pay $60 per month ($10 extra for HD). I predominantly get foxtel for Super Rugby, but I do enjoy the extra content (NRL, NBA, NFL, etc). Also, as a massive sports fan I'm offended by free to air's coverage of major sporting events. What is the bet the Rugby World Cup coverage on 10 is cringe worthy.
How much of the coverage is transmitted in HD?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Does anyone know the 10's RWC coverage is going to be like? Are they showing all matches live or only the Aus ones?
I could be wrong but I thought nine bought the rights to both 2011 and 2015 a while back, I don't know that they still have them but I really hope not.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
On the subject of the broadcast rights, they are been signed off at the moment and should be released in coming weeks. ARU set to receive $35-40million/annum, a big jump.

I remember reading last year that $40 million is what some super rugby CEO's believed was needed to ensure financial viability. So lets hope it's closer to 40 than 35.

T

TOCC

I remember reading last year that $40 million is what some super rugby CEO's believed was needed to ensure financial viability. So lets hope it's closer to 40 than 35.

Yes, don't expect this cash to see a huge injection of funding into new areas, it's going to be distributed to cover existing losses elsewhere... Super Rugby clubs will see an increase of funding which is desperately needed by all.. ARU has existing liabilities and expense which need to be covered as well..

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Just hooked up Foxtel Play - streaming through the xbox. $50pm no contract 2 week trial. Worked well.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just hooked up Foxtel Play - streaming through the xbox. $50pm no contract 2 week trial. Worked well.

Last year for me I had frequent service drop outs and buffer issues on Saturday nights during peak times (NRL, rugby and AFL games). I complained bitterly, and the pricks claimed it was my fault, despite Play/Go working flawlessly right up to the start of all those games, then working again outside of the peak time. And, also despite the multitude of complaints on their Facebook page from other people having the same issues. Apparently it was their fault, too.

I hope that Foxtel have increased their bandwidth / number of servers for this year.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It won't matter what you're on if the either the backbone from the servers, or the servers themselves, cannot handle the load, which was the case.