• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Well I know I watch a lot of NFL and some NBA and even the college stuff but I won't pay for a separate app for it. It's just a nice option along side cricket and NRL for me.

i cancelled my nfl game pass.

you get 2 regular games on 7.
2 regular games on espn
and every prime time game

couldn’t justify forking out 300.00 a year when I know my team would probably play in about 50% of the games being played on either espn/7.

had I been a jaguars or bengals fan (not too popular) - buying nfl game pass I would of considered

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
League pass options for American sports have become more affordable over the last few years. And to my knowledge they aren't location locked as yet, so you can share a login with a few people as they usually let you stream 2-3 screens at once.

As someone who watches all sports essentially and has a family, I'm very open to the idea of the mega DisneyxESPN product making its way to Australia.

If Fox did lose the ESPN catalogue, I reckon there would be a big chance of them doing standalone NRL and AFL league pass type products. I know the NRL had something a few years ago - as a Telstra customer I was able to download the NRL app and stream all games live and free (using the fox broadcast). Not sure if that is still a thing.
The league passes just got greedy in cost. I use to have an NBA one but they gouge Australia as well as the NBA becoming less appealing with how players move around.

Got the tip to use a VPN and change location to Mexico where it is very cheap and buy it. Worked a treat.

AFL & NRL would have the standing to do their own. Especially if they could package the State leagues in it.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I thought I read the state RL games are in a bit of trouble - the previous provider went belly up… they did a lot of community sports!

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I know some of them are on Fox each week which tbh is as much as anyone is going to watch. Which provider? Cluch went under which sucked. They did all the GPS School Boy Rugby in Sydney which was great.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
there’s so many services now. To get what you need is putting it back into the foxtel price range
I agree with you on there being too many services. Well come round about soon where they get packaged up by another company soon.

One thing you're forgetting is, you can easily cancel and subscribe when you want to watch a show or if a sport season starts back up.

Did you ever have to battle foxtel? Their call centres were useless and even though they were meant to collect their box, they charged me $500 until I took it to the post office.

If you can find a mate or two to account share it really drops the constant out lays though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I agree with you on there being too many services. Well come round about soon where they get packaged up by another company soon.

One thing you're forgetting is, you can easily cancel and subscribe when you want to watch a show or if a sport season starts back up.

Did you ever have to battle foxtel? Their call centres were useless and even though they were meant to collect their box, they charged me $500 until I took it to the post office.

If you can find a mate or two to account share it really drops the constant out lays though.
Kind of funny that we are creeping towards what we left.

Tell you what though if you call Foxtel and say you want to cancel they were always willing to drop their price for you.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tell you what though if you call Foxtel and say you want to cancel they were always willing to drop their price for you.

Yeah, I still have the Foxtel box because for the last couple of years they have agreed to drop the price to not a whole lot more than the Kayo price. No one should be paying the full price.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
We have DAZN in Canada which is great.
Six Nations rugby, all NFL games, Bundesliga and Champions League (it did have epl but lost that to another streamer)
All games live
All games on demand and extended highlights provided. Believe it also has the spring tour rugby matches in the NH as well.
So I buy a monthly pass for the two months TRC is on from TSN.
Apple TV has a fantastic daily MLB wrap included with apple subscription that will show 8 minutes (more or less) of every game each night.
it is the best package up I’ve seen
If it had epl and super rugby and trc it would be the full package
Currently lay like $25 a month for that all

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We have DAZN in Canada which is great.
Six Nations rugby, all NFL games, Bundesliga and Champions League (it did have epl but lost that to another streamer)
All games live
All games on demand and extended highlights provided. Believe it also has the spring tour rugby matches in the NH as well.
So I buy a monthly pass for the two months TRC is on from TSN.
Apple TV has a fantastic daily MLB wrap included with apple subscription that will show 8 minutes (more or less) of every game each night.
it is the best package up I’ve seen
If it had epl and super rugby and trc it would be the full package
Currently lay like $25 a month for that all

I have DAZN for NFL GamePass. After some teething issues in the preseason it was then pretty good throughout the season.

On some platforms/regions you can do split screen which I couldn't do on Chromecast which was frustrating.

In the US, the NFL service that is called Sunday Ticket moved to YouTube and it is apparently amazing. You can set up your own quad box etc.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
meanwhile in the US
IMG_1666.jpeg

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
We've been lucky here and not smashed with all of this yet. Although Fox and ESPN who are part of Disney are already together here under Kayo.

I know even the College conferences have their owns networks and if your not local you have a paywall. It's considered one of the major reasons for the PAC12 dying.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't get how IPTV has not taken off in Australia yet the way it is everywhere else, I run one app for TV and sports. 5676 channels, so you name it I got it.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't get how IPTV has not taken off in Australia yet the way it is everywhere else, I run one app for TV and sports. 5676 channels, so you name it I got it.

Australia is a decade behind everywhere else like the US and Europe when it comes to high-speed internet roll-out. We’ve also had 3 decades of News Corp. monopolising sports right and cable tv stifling any initiative or new concepts/technology.

I lived in the US in 2010 and had friends who even back then had a NHL streaming subscription and were streaming live HD NHL. In Australia at the time HD was still a novelty on terrestrial and cable and considering trying to stream SD was a struggle. I think 2012 Foxtel seriously started putting effort into the streaming platform, but even then connection and app access was shit.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Very hard to compare the Australian and US in general for television and streaming markets.

Part of the reason they're so far ahead is because of hyper regional television broadcasting, there was a real demand for better quality service in the small markets. Back in the 2000s (and earlier) there was noticeably better free to air television if you were in California vs Wyoming for example.

Services like DirectTV, the original HBO & Netflix existed much earlier over there to combat that.

Here in Australia if you had access to an aerial or satellite we pretty much all got the same thing so there wasn't this sense of inequality.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fair point regarding internet speed, I have used this service now for 3 years. Only one time did I need to change from my home internet connection to mobile 5G to stop buffering.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Australia is a decade behind everywhere else like the US and Europe when it comes to high-speed internet roll-out. We’ve also had 3 decades of News Corp. monopolising sports right and cable tv stifling any initiative or new concepts/technology.

I lived in the US in 2010 and had friends who even back then had a NHL streaming subscription and were streaming live HD NHL. In Australia at the time HD was still a novelty on terrestrial and cable and considering trying to stream SD was a struggle. I think 2012 Foxtel seriously started putting effort into the streaming platform, but even then connection and app access was shit.
Thanks Malcolm.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Thanks Malcolm.
Nah the NBN was a crock of shit that labor pushed..

I love fibre optic but labor should have had more foresight about emerging technologies. 2007 was when NBN was announced? Same year as iPhone release… I “Joe Average” could of predicted that wireless technologies would be the future.

Tony and Malcolm did the right thing scaling it back.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I love fibre optic but labor should have had more foresight about emerging technologies. 2007 was when NBN was announced? Same year as iPhone release… I “Joe Average” could of predicted that wireless technologies would be the future.

True - I mean, just look around. Look at all the emerging technologies providing affordable, high speed internet access to Australians young and old. Just slipping in ahead of the mighty Kyrgyzstan and hot on the heels of the technological powerhouse the Bahamas. Perhaps one day we can dream of the lofty heights Nepal have reached.

1707436735534.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

This is an entirely different topic of conversation but I disagree completely.

Wireless will always have bandwidth constraints because everyone using it is sharing the available bandwidth. 5G is blazingly fast but as soon as a lot of people try and use it at once (like if you're sitting at a stadium with 50k+ people, it slows down dramatically.

Satellite internet (such as Starlink) has improved dramatically but still has the same bandwidth constraints.

Fibre optic is still the gold standard and it's hard to see that changing.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
That’s fine guys.

comparing speeds to other countries is kind of moot when you consider how huge this country is and how little populated it is. The original NBN was due for massive blowouts and a lot of the country still doesn’t have FTTP.

typical labor with big ideas and no way to pay for anything. Hopefully they can fix this NDIS white elephant soon… otherwise it will be for Dutton & Co to deal with in 2025 and beyond