• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
This is true.

Haters need to chill the .... out. This event is great promo and a bit of fun. Rugby supporters need to embrace the extra content and either turn up to Suncorp or watch it at home. We need all the promo we can get.

I am really looking forward to this and hopefully the event will be around for a long time.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
And backing up from last weeks 7's... Radike Samo!

a92f14c47eec9998c44b374be9040b29.jpg

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I am really looking forward to this and hopefully the event will be around for a long time.

Same, but I just wish the timing as a little better. For me the perfect timing would be in that 3-week international block in June for a Rugby event in Brisbane. Being out in the sun then is perfect conditions and if they time it well enough it could easily lead up to a Wallabies game.

I'm fully aware that this would mean no wallabies/international stars, but I don't think that's the appeal of these types of events at all.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was definitely one of the doubters for a long time. Still probably a little dubious, but perhaps more around the ticket strategy.

What it has done is created interested or profile for the start of the Super Rugby season like never before. Perhaps not in the other states, but it's pretty hard to avoid up here. From the formal (all the events they are having - media events, corporate events) to the informal (teams to Jnr clubs and schools and just seeing the big names just strolling around the city). It's pretty significant.

I said it in my preview on the blog it's got to be the biggest collection of rugby stars in one city ever in Australia. It's pretty damn big.

I just hope the on-field action matches the off-field stuff.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Same, but I just wish the timing as a little better. For me the perfect timing would be in that 3-week international block in June for a Rugby event in Brisbane. Being out in the sun then is perfect conditions and if they time it well enough it could easily lead up to a Wallabies game.

I'm fully aware that this would mean no wallabies/international stars, but I don't think that's the appeal of these types of events at all.

I would have liked to see it as a kind of mini tournament during the break. Or if it wasn't four the Sydney 7s a lead in tournament.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby World Cup?

one city. Don't think we ever had this many in one city for a weekend of rugby? Perhaps there was one weekend? The Semi Finals in Sydney? Yeah, that's probably significant. But still, that's 4 international teams.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So I've wandered over to Southbank to check out the launch & thinking we can expect a high proportion of the crowd to be Kiwis.

Now need a beer to cool off before heading back to work

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Is there any risk that the games through the middle of the day on Sunday get delayed or some other action taken because of the heat?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is there any risk that the games through the middle of the day on Sunday get delayed or some other action taken because of the heat?

you would think so but the organisers have said that the reduced game time and large squad numbers are basically the recommendations from World Rugby under their Heat Policy.

I'm guessing they'l have fans and ice around the fields for the players. Thankfully it's pretty cool under the stadium so that should assist.

It's the fans who are most at risk I reckon.

T

TOCC

Some Brisbane school competitions have cancelled all matches for Saturday due to extreme weather forecasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Here's the World Rugby - Player Welfare - "Putting Players First" Heat Policy if anyone"s interested

http://playerwelfare.worldrugby.org/?subsection=6
The following Game Day Interventions should be implemented when the Heat Stress Index is above 150:
Game day interventions

1. Provision of dressing room fans if air conditioning not available.
  2. Provision of side line shade if game played during the day when radiant heat (direct sunlight) is a contributing factor.
  3. Strategic positioning of towels immersed in ICE water around the ground – behind goal posts and at junction of each quarter line and side line.
  4. 2 minute break at the 20 minute mark of each half. The focus of this break should be threefold, a medical assessment of each athlete for signs of heat stress, cooling of athletes and re-hydration. It is suggested that cooling would be best achieved by immediately removing jersey and shoulder pads, application of ICE water to head ± body. Utilising sideline fans and shade (if game during day) would also be ideal. It should be noted that a 2 minute break has been recommended (as opposed to a 1 minute break) because the focus during this break is primarily medical assessment and cooling.
It should be noted that increasing access of water carriers to the field has not been recommended as it is felt that there is adequate breaks in the course of a game to allow water carrier access and player re-hydration.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think I might actually wear my boardies on Sunday and when it gets a bit too hot, just head over the road to Ithaca Pool for a swim

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I really hope it goes well, and I agree that although it not my thing it still a great promo for rugby in Queensland in particular and Australia in general. Like the 7s I will no doubt switch the tv on and watch bits and pieces over the weekend without getting carried away.

Geez the press release shown above I can't get over how much Sef Fagaase is looking like his old man.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is there someone who has experience of watching foxtel outside AUS? Could you please PM me if you fit the description? Thanks

Lähetetty minun NEM-L21 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can you access Foxtel Play outside of Australia? It's a live stream that will i clude the 10s and I think there is a current 2 week free trial offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.