• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
When you look at the other options, Hooper simply is a better backrower, he makes more metres, hits more rucks and more tackles than any of the options. Stick whatever number you want on his back but you lose his phenomenal workrate

Now if you want a lesser player to sure up our lineout, I can understand, but be very aware about what you lose in that decision playing someone who will make less metres, hit fewer rucks and make less tackles.

A lot of Hoopers meters are out wide. The outside backs need to take on more of this in a roving role as Diggers used to.
What we lack is meters in close and Hooper doesn't give us that.
As for hitting rucks - his ruck involvements were only 2 more than McCalman in 22 more minutes of gametime.
I think we would be stronger playing someone at 8 who is a lineout target, makes metres close to the ruck, and offers dominant tackles. Timani would be my choice for the weekend.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Well WOB, I would love it if they have even more inexperience and run Lienert-Brown at 12, not sure I too keen on Fekitoa at 12, much better at 13

Agree on Fekitoa, he's not a 12 right now. I reckon he goes better with an older head partnering him so I'd be a little nervous about lobbing AL-B in there (but agree he's a real prospect long-term). Find out tomorrow, I s'pose.

EDIT: just to be clear, I'd go 12. Barrett 13. Fekitoa but I think they'll go 12. Fekitoa 13. Tamanivalu.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I just picked that lineout because it was the first one. We lost a couple more in similar fashion.

I didn't say Hooper was slow off the mark. I said our lineout moves in general were slow. It was like watching a team going through the steps in slow motion when practicing them for the first time.

It didn't matter who the jumper was, it was easy to see who was moving around and was going to get it and where it was likely to be thrown. Unless the throw then hits the jumper at the top of their mark (and therefore clears any jumpers in front of them), it is easy to pick off as happened to us several times.

It came down to execution in my opinion, not the number of jumping options.

I think a reasonable amount of the blame rests with Moore and Simmons. The lineout improved when both of them were off the field.

Fair call. I think we can be competitive with the Pooper plus Fardy and 2 jumping locks. I think that's the minimum though at test level, and certainly against the wallabies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
A lot of Hoopers meters are out wide. The outside backs need to take on more of this in a roving role as Diggers used to.
What we lack is meters in close and Hooper doesn't give us that.
As for hitting rucks - his ruck involvements were only 2 more than McCalman in 22 more minutes of gametime.
I think we would be stronger playing someone at 8 who is a lineout target, makes metres close to the ruck, and offers dominant tackles. Timani would be my choice for the weekend.
If involvements are going to be a measure,Timani is not the answer.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
In reference to idiot savant's insightful question on Sully’s article, I don't think wholesale changes will be good for a bunch of newbies, since it is likely to leave a bunch of mental scars if the newbies get well-beaten. Clearly change is needed, but it should be more gradual. However, if there is another flogging, then there should be wholesale changes. But knowing that the current team will lift this week (due to the loss, and since they were probably a bit flat, having not played for a month), I think I lean towards gradual change, but change nevertheless.

With everyone suggesting a team, I'd actually like to suggest a team for the final 30 minutes - a crucial part of the game, but also allows for change without wholesale change to start.

I think some players play best when coming off the bench, while some players don’t play well for 80 minutes. I would have the following players come off the bench for the final 30 minutes: Hooper for Pocock, Cooper for Foley, Mumm for Simmons, Phipps for Genia, possibly Reece Hodge for Samu Kerevi at 12, and Tatafu Polota-Nau for Moore.

Also for the final 30 minutes, I'd move Folau to 13 and bring Tevita Kuridrani off, or move Tevita Kuridrani to 12.

Tevita Kuridrani at 12 is Bob Dwyer's suggestion. It would be nice if Kuridrani could learn to offload, but even if he can't, he could play the traditional 'get the ball over the advantage line' and they could cut him out for backline moves, or do backline moves on 2nd phase after he has carried the ball over the advantage line. Kuridrani still has some value, but I think it’s in closer in than out wider.

I think Folau at 13 is his future position. He plays his Super Rugby there now. And he's happy there. With that, I'd move Haylett-Petty to 15, which is probably his future position.

So this is the team for the final 30 minutes with the players they would replace having played for the first 50 minutes.

1. James Slipper

2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (for Moore)

3. Sekope Kepu

4. Kane Douglas

5. Dean Mumm (for Rob Simmons)

6. Scott Fardy

7. Hooper (for Pocock)

8. Lopetti Timani

9. Phipps (for Genia)

10. Quade Cooper (for Foley)

11. Adam Ashley-Cooper

12. Samu Kerevi (no change or possibly Reece Hodge or Tevita Kuridrani)

13. Israel Folau (for Tevita Kuridrani)

14. Henry Speight (with Haylett-Petty to 15)

15. Dane Haylett-Petty (with Folau to 13)

Your replacements just don't work JK. Only three forwards replaced when most would see either 5 or 6 as being the norm. But four replacement Backs will never be used.

Ideas have merit, but the makeup of the team for the last 30 minutes needs some work.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
If involvements are going to be a measure,Timani is not the answer.
Fair enough
McCalman is busy and has lots of involvement but little impact
Timani has impact in attack and defence but sometimes goes missing.
Toss a coin.
As most have said Cheiks will keep the Pooper so it's all speculation anyway.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Your replacements just don't work JK. Only three forwards replaced when most would see either 5 or 6 as being the norm. But four replacement Backs will never be used.

Ideas have merit, but the makeup of the team for the last 30 minutes needs some work.

I would usually agree with you BR. But the circumstance drove me to something a little bit more radical. I'm up for trying something a bit different.

However, I could be persuaded for another fwd or two being replaced for the last 30.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
So if you're right, and Simmons has been dropped, then you'd have to assume that Cheika has determined the makeup of his teamo_O

It's quite normal to travel across the ditch with just the match day 23 and an extra forward and an extra back is it not?

M

Moono75

Rob Simmons has been dropped.

Timani, Coleman, Douglas, Skelton and Mumm all travelling to Wellington.
they are not adhering to the policy of #NoLamingtonsInWellington

Skelton & Mumm on the plane.... soft lamingtons. Hopefully NZ customs drop them in the disposal bins on arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.