• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm posting this not to stir the pot, or even create discussion about the #12. But this is a quote from Beth Newman's article, shows a complete lack of understanding as the worst case. Best case is an error no-one picked up on:

Cooper has played little 12, but Cheika said that would not discount the mercurial playmaker for any number of position, even a potential fullback switch should that be required, though that would likely only happen if Israel Folau was moved out of 15.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The captaincy is a problem and Moore did struggle through the English series and again on the weekend. His performance as the first string hooker has been poor as well. TPN has generally had more impact on the field. The problem here is that the two alternate captain are Hooper and Pocock and there is also much discussion about pushing one of these blokes to the bench. I reckon Moore will start and as captain again but may be on very thin ice. Losing 3 inside centres was horrific against a rampant ABs but we should never have gone in with such a weak lineout. This is the phase the ABs live off alongside turnovers. I would love to have a test standard 8 with excellent lineout skills to throw in there but they seem to be a little thin on the ground. Timani needs game time now to see what he can do and Holloway and Cottrell need to come on the EOYT if fit.
With no second playmaker it is time to change the point of attack with Folau at 13.
I hope we see something like this. Unlikely as it is.....

Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Coleman
Douglas
Fardy
Hooper
Pocock
Genia
FOLEY
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Kerevi
Folau
Mitchell
DHP

TPN
Sio
Robertson
Mumm
Timani
Phipps
Cooper
Hodge

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I don't see why that's unlikely at all JB. It's no less likely than everyone else's teams at least. Except for the part where you've only got 14 players and left out a fly half :) But presumably as you've got Cooper on the bench you're sticking with Foley.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Was that when he came of the bench for To'omua about 5 minutes in? I think that was actually 2014 because that's the game we lost in the height of the Beale/patson drama.

Possibly the bigger implication of quade being at 12 is that it means foley is still at 10. Aside from other issues that's very weak defensively and I don't think many would see it happening. Now that it's mentioned though, if kerevi is at 12 and folau is at 13 then quade at 15 is actually a pretty good option.

No it was 2015. Quade didn't play in the 2014 test in Argentina

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
No it was 2015. Quade didn't play in the 2014 test in Argentina

OK. you are correct. ESPN is in meltdown, I can't bring the team lists up. But 2014 in Mendoza I think Horne went on at 12 for To'omua very early and it went pear shaped and we lost the game. Last year QC (Quade Cooper) went on as sub, I remember it being at 12 and was very anxious but at least we won!

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Unless you have some sources it's probably just emanating from the same article I put up above. Cheika basically says it's an option (among many others) and the journo has created a 'QC (Quade Cooper) at 12' story out of it. However the 'leak' would suggest that quade is in the starting side.

Well, Cheika loves Foley so I have serious doubts that he's going to drop him. After his disastrous performance in June vs England, Cheika kept him at 10 in the first Bledisloe game. That's my source

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, Cheika loves Foley so I have serious doubts that he's going to drop him. After his disastrous performance in June vs England, Cheika kept him at 10 in the first Bledisloe game. That's my source

Wouldn't that be more an "opinion" than a "source"?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
From Rugby.com.au
“Any of the criticism about our game and how we play is fully warranted 100 per cent, there's no issue around that,” he said.
“I thought Will Genia was one of the players who did stand up in that game - Giteau played for about a minute or two so that's a convenient thing for people to say and look for a reason (why we lost).
“The reality is that the Australian team didn't play well that day and since I've been here, win or loss, we've always been pretty true to our identity and that's the first time I don't think that we have and we've got to make that right.”
“It’s probably the biggest (challenge),” he said.
“It's a big stage and it's a big challenge for us.
“The criticism from the performance is very warranted, no doubt about that and when there's a lot of that talk in your head you start to get weighed down by it.
“They're feeling pretty terrible about it so we've got to get them back up into a situation where that's driving them to do something better this weekend.
“I know a lot of people think the same result's going to happen and we understand that but it's up to us to prove otherwise.”
Cheika has spoken throughout his tenure of his team’s identity and the Wallabies mentor felt a move away from that was the most disappointing element of last week’s defeat, but backed them to return to that this weekend.
“It hasn't gone, this year, how we wanted it to but we're not going to go and cry with our thumb in our mouth back to Mummy,” he said.
“We're going to fight and get ourselves sorted out.
“That may be enough, it may not be, but that's what we're definitely going to do this weekend.”

Does that mean Dean Mumm has been dropped?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think DMac will be taken on the road trip & may get a start v Argentina, or at least come off the bench. Certainty for EOYT, surely, tho.

I have no idea who the next in line for centre is & sincerely hope we don't find out any time soon. Big raps on Beaugan's little bro, tho....

That's a nightmare I've been having since the U20s. Barratts at 10 and 12. I suspect it will happen one day and being honest I am really looking forward to that day.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I fully expect to see Foley at 10 and Quade at 12 this week. It is the only combination of two playmakers left to fill Cheika's game plan.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Arguably the weakest & certainly the least-experienced backline we've fielded in a very long time.

Wanna trade?

I think Reg was pretty close to what Cheika is going to name. I reckon this will be the team we roll out in Wellington

1. Slipper will undoubtedly come in for Sio.

2. While TPN would probably add some sting in attack and defence, the lineouts were the bigger cause for concern, so Moore (c) will have one last crack.

3. Kepu is unchallenged at tighthead.

4. Simmons will likely be dropped, but Cheika will replace him with Mumm.

5. Douglas is the closest we have to a Jacques Potgieter type madman. Just needs motivation.

6. Scott Fardy will return to replace McCalman

7. Pooper won't be jettisoned yet. Hooper to retain spot

8. Pocock

9. Genia

10. Cheika will not be putting Quade in to start, especially in New Zealand, and especially x2 given his lack of minutes in the position at Toulon. Foley will get another chance this week, but I can very well see Quade starting in Brisbane the week his contract is announced.

11. Adam Ashley-Cooper will retain a wing spot

12. Samu Kerevi will return to the 12 jersey after starting there twice against England.

13. Tevita Kuridrani will retain his spot

14. I expect Haylett-Petty to be dropped, and for Drew Mitchell to return.

15. Israel Folau

M

Moono75

I can't believe the talk about dropping DHP. He is one of the most talented players in the side and would be more damaging playing his natural position at fullback, plus he's a better kick than Folau. Give Izzy a crack at 13.

I think the AB's picked DHP as a threat and gave him some extra attention in the hopes a quiet game might see him dropped from the Wallabies. DHP doesn't have two bad games in a row, back him in.

And get Adam Coleman into the team as well, enough with Simmons and Mumm, they're as hard as lamingtons!

#NoLamingtonsInWellington

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Love to see Coleman take Simmons place and Fardy back in at 6. Seems as though Kurindrani was the most effective defensive back and at the breakdown. I don't think he can be dropped. Agree on DHP at fullback but not sure what they would do with Izzy then. TK at 12 with Izzy at 13 maybe? Bob Dwyer has been calling for this for about a year now.

T

Train Without a Station

Mojo considering the defensive lapses of DHP I absolutely doubt the AB's would want him dropped.

I like the DHP and personally would persist with him, but nothing he's done in gold warrants the team being shuffled around to suit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.