• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bledisloe 2 - Saturday 25th August 2018 - Eden Park, Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Tix went on sale this morning & by lunchtime RadioNZ were reporting it had sold out. Almost always does for a Bledisloe but I don't recall it doing so this quickly for quite some years. May have something to do with the first half of the double header? Would be great news if that were the case.

Shag has confirmed that Crotty & Rieko won't be considered for selection. I'm expecting 12. AL-B 13. Goodhue 14. Bender 15. JBar 22. NM-S as a result.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
He wears too much blue ;)

EDIT:- to give a decent explanation, I think he see's Samu as a better bench cover then Hooper, with the expectation that Poey plays 80 mins at 7.

No need for the edit - We all know BR is a hater and would have no NSW players (current or ex) if he could

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality is there will be very few unforced changes. Injured players will who are in our best 23 (Sio and Tupou) will return if available and Folau will be replaced either by moving DHP to fullback and starting Maddocks or by starting Banks.

I think Latu could lose his spot and Fainga'a could debut. Aside from that I think the team will remain largely unchanged. These are our best players.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The reality is there will be very few unforced changes. Injured players will who are in our best 23 (Sio and Tupou) will return if available and Folau will be replaced either by moving DHP to fullback and starting Maddocks or by starting Banks.

I think Latu could lose his spot and Fainga'a could debut. Aside from that I think the team will remain largely unchanged. These are our best players.
Shame

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
I see Growden has called for TGC's head (which obviously means SFA given it's Growden) but is there anyone worth taking seriously who thinks he's on shaky ground? Would cost shitloads to pay him out, I'd have thought, plus it wouldn't leave a replacement much time to do anything substantial this side of RWC (although in saying that Cheika did take over from Link <1 year out from the last Cup).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a ridiculous article as usual by Growden.

The main gist of his article is to recruit Joe Schmidt.

How many millions would it take to pay out IRFU and recruit Schmidt. It would have to be an absolutely ridiculous offer for him to even consider it. It wouldn't be close to a reasonable offer for RA to make regardless of their financial position.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^ TBH I clicked away as soon as I saw "Growden" but, yeah, ain't no way RA can afford Schmidt & I don't think he's stupid enough to walk into a bear trap like that. Post-RWC if he gets snubbed by NZR again (as he will, unless AB go out in the QF & maybe not even then, after all SGH & Shag got a second life after 2007 when most would've said they were dog tucker), maybe, but not before as the potential downside far outweighs any possible upside for him career-wise.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

How many millions would it take to pay out IRFU and recruit Schmidt. It would have to be an absolutely ridiculous offer for him to even consider it. It wouldn't be close to a reasonable offer for RA to make regardless of their financial position.
Which is beside the point anyway. As you said not three posts ago, that was our best team. A new coach won't suddenly grow better players, even if it's Shag himself.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

LOL so Joe Schmidt, one year our from a world cup, with the 2nd best team in the world who came and beat oz in there own back yard, who has a win in a game against the blacks, would leave Ireland and come coach Australia. He would be hell bent on getting Ireland a world cup victory right now, and outside the blacks there his best shot at doing it..

Maybe once the world cups over Cheika has moved on and he doesnt get the NZ job he may entertain coming to Australia.

ATM Cheika is the best we have got on offer, and to be fair his got his goal of winning a world cup and we should give him a chance to do it. I had high hopes for the first match in Sydney, but we were done over before we hit the field losing Sio and Tupou.. I think outside our top 5 props the next best is along way behind.. well actually our next best is Slipper and maybe we should have gone him at reserve LHP and AAA at THP.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
^^^ I think the reason Slipper was overlooked is because of some disciplinary/probationary process. Knowing Cheika he'll be working behind the scenes to get said process bypassed in case we have the same issues this week.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
^^^ I think the reason Slipper was overlooked is because of some disciplinary/probationary process. Knowing Cheika he'll be working behind the scenes to get said process bypassed in case we have the same issues this week.

His 2 month ban has been over for a while.. if we wanted him last game we could have had him.. and probably should have been the next pulled in..

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Doubt the IRFU would release Schmidt anyway. They're pulling out all the stops to keep him in Ireland long term. Word from my Irish mates is that he is happy in Ireland and it suits his family to stay there.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Referee​
official_80_photo.jpg
Wayne Barnes (England)

Assistant 1​
official_73_photo.jpg
Jaco Peyper (South Africa)

Assistant 2​
official_161_photo.jpg
Luke Pearce (England)

TMO​
official_114_photo.jpg
Marius Jonker (South Africa)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Cottrell did play well for the super 15 team, but his not in the squad so his out.

Fainga'a just has something about him, and after coming back from the last wallabies camp, he really had a swag about him, good throwing good scrum, silky hands in tight for offloads, he loves to run a good line, and doesn't mind the hard stuff.

But first game in test rugby to start at Eden park is a big ask, I'd probably go TAF for the start with Fainga'a to run the bench spot.

Tom, I thought I made it clear it was my selections and had nothing to do with the squad makeup.

However, I do agree about starting with TPN and letting FF (Folau Fainga'a) learn off the bench.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
No need for the edit - We all know BR is a hater and would have no NSW players (current or ex) if he could

On the other hand, many Tahs fans think there aren't enough NSW players in the test team. Remember all the calls earlier in the season for Wells to be in the squad?

It has become a cliche, but there are too many Tahs in the squad, and too many in the starting team. Sekope Kepu is not the player he was, and should now give way to Tupou and Ala'alatoa. Latu just isn't good enough. Simmons and Hanigan are fine at Super level, but are consistently outmuscled and outplayed at test match level. Phipps is yesterday's man, and his woeful exhibition when he came on yesterday just confirms that. That protected species named Foley must be given a rest to see if any alternative will work better. No good saying he is the best if it isn't tested.

That leaves Hooper (bench only as we have a better No 7 in the side), Robertson whom I am happy to see as the bench LHP, Beale who now needs to be moved to 10 with To'omua at 12, and Folau. Gordon should replace Phipps in the squad. I would like to see Dempsey and Holloway come into selection contention also. I think that is a fair and balanced representation for a team that had an under-performing scrum and relied on two or three attacking stars for most of its points, but unfortunately Naiyaravoro isn't available.

I would challenge the red flower people to take an equally unbiassed look at the team and give the rest of us a break from the undeserved concentration of NSW players in the test team.

Status
Not open for further replies.