• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ballymore Redevelopment

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
As for Ballymore to Wilston Station accessibility, if they had a pedestrian bridge across the creek at the end of Vardon St then it's only a 700m walk. Currently it's 1.3km via the existing path.

Given the intent to keep the stadium at 10-12k capacity, I'd say improving access to Wilston Station, along with and shuttle bus service to RBWH Busway station and possibly Exhibition Station, would be a pretty decent transport plan for those crowds. For very little capital cost.

Obviously, Perry Park is better positioned to be on a rail line, but the biggest issue here is cost and they aren' a like for like comparison. Honestly, I don't see the government funding a $ 250 million rectangular stadium unless it has bipartisan backing from all codes, which it won't receive. Football can't even reach a mutual agreement between Football Queensland and the Brisbane Roar, let alone Broncos/Reds & Dolphins.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Perry Park is a hop, jump and a skip to Newstead drinking and eating. Closer than Caxton Street to Lang Park. Ditto traffic on Caxton Street is a bigger issue than on Abbotsford Rd and is dealt with. Construction access at Perry Park is far superior. There are far fewer residences to be impacted. Locals to Ballymore are likely to have a bigger impact regarding approvals, I don't see a 20k stadium being easy to get up.

That said, Perry Park is probably a pipe dream given politics and the current allergy to Olympic stadium costs. There had been some argument about centering the Olympics at Albion (Brothers would have been at risk) and that might have changed the approach to both Ballymore and Perry Park. I don't see that happening now.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ditto traffic on Caxton Street is a bigger issue than on Abbotsford Rd and is dealt with.
Disagree about this pretty strongly - closing that section of Caxton has viable detours and alternative routes to the connecting roads; the only real immediate detours around that section of Abbotsleigh Rd are through residential areas or onto Breakfast Creek Rd, which likely wouldn't cope very well.

Slayer!

Herbert Moran (7)
Regardless of anything else, $50 million to finish Ballymore - which has a costed plan - or $200 million on a thought bubble from the organisational geniuses at Football Queensland?And $200m is a joke - that concept drawing they put out is a $400m stadium - a slightly smaller Townsville.
Which one do you think any Government would support?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Football Queensland might of left their plan too late. Seen some graphics trying to tie their renderings into an Olympics precinct spine surrounded by public transport.

Considering labor has already announce their plan for Olympics I believe FQ would want a LNP victory considering they haven’t released their own plan.

I hope the woman’s aussie7 relocation plan goes ahead with or without ballymore funding

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Football Queensland might of left their plan too late. Seen some graphics trying to tie their renderings into an Olympics precinct spine surrounded by public transport.

Considering labor has already announce their plan for Olympics I believe FQ would want a LNP victory considering they haven’t released their own plan.

I hope the woman’s aussie7 relocation plan goes ahead with or without ballymore funding
Not sure they have a leg to stand on either way as far as the Olympics are concerned - the precinct at Perry Park is not large enough to meet Olympic requirements for hockey - two competition pitches with seating (10k and 5k) and a warm up pitch. There are likely alternatives to having it all in one place, but all of them will increase costs above and beyond the $200 million they've quoted for the stadium itself.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure they have a leg to stand on either way as far as the Olympics are concerned - the precinct at Perry Park is not large enough to meet Olympic requirements for hockey - two competition pitches with seating (10k and 5k) and a warm up pitch. There are likely alternatives to having it all in one place, but all of them will increase costs above and beyond the $200 million they've quoted for the stadium itself.

I think the Olympics is the best shot for the financing. Once the i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed on the Olympic vision it’s hard to see any future stadium investment coming in the foreseeable future.

if nothing is happening out at the Gabba it will be AFL/cricket folks lobbying for upgrade next. FQ being a stand alone sport asking for 200m and not
Sharing their infrastructure with other codes/joint bids - will be the projects death knell

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Perry Park also floods pretty regularly with king tides doesn't it? Obviously there could be an engineered solution, but hydrology is never cheap, simple, and dare I say reliable...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Perry Park also floods pretty regularly with king tides doesn't it? Obviously there could be an engineered solution, but hydrology is never cheap, simple, and dare I say reliable...

Seriously? Not having a go just completely surprised at the statement. No doubt it is in the vacinity of both Brisbane River and Breakfast Creek and king tides will come up. But it is what, 4-5 feet above the road? If there is actual flooding I would think it went under somewhat later than immediate surroundings.

I have no doubt it went under with 2022, 2011, 1974, etc.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seriously? Not having a go just completely surprised at the statement. No doubt it is in the vacinity of both Brisbane River and Breakfast Creek and king tides will come up. But it is what, 4-5 feet above the road? If there is actual flooding I would think it went under somewhat later than immediate surroundings.

I have no doubt it went under with 2022, 2011, 1974, etc.
I thought I'd heard it did, but could be wrong as I'm not local to the area - happy for someone to correct me.

Reactions: dru

JRugby2

Chris McKivat (8)
1719969569633.png

Perry Park (above)

vs

Ballymore
1719969666706.png

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I suspect that neither is really "King Tide" flooding. Where I live in Newstead (5 min walk from Perry Park) was cut off by floods and some flooded basements. Definitely the riverside walk and more goes under with King tides. Breakfast Creek likelwise subject to King tides and actually some local roads in the area around Perry Park. But I dont think Perry Park itself. For that matter, Ballymore is at risk of floods, but surely not the King Tide.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
If its properly designed, flooding around there is a bit of a non-issue. The Bunnings and Mercedes dealership across the road and closer to the Creek/River were and are fine after the 2022 flood.

Suncorp is smack bang in the middle of going under every time we have these big rain events too.

The only other area I wouldn't mind them having a look at is, the Exhibition showgrounds. It's completely under utilized and the King Street precint is screaming out for more people to flock there.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hockey QLD and FIA are pissed off from all reports in hockey circles, they are even looking at hosting hockey on the Gold Coast. Ballymore isn't going to have the crowd, or legacy features that QLD hockey wanted.

Currently Brisbane does not have a international standard hockey venue capable of hosting a FIH pro league round, they are expected to be hosting rounds in 2031 and 2032 so Olympic teams can familiarize themselves with the venue.