• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That's what it looked like to me at the game. Didn't notice the props dragging their arses around the park and I was watching them closely when all the money was on the table.

But they could have been mentally stale which can convert into poor performance.

N

NorthernSon

Hmm, from the sideline it was one of the most bruising GPS encounters I have seen and hence again rasies questions on the ability od some to cope with the bash and grap approach of NZ schools. Millar and Killingworth can hold their heads up high, Connor was exposed again in not liking it tight or physical games and was in hiding in between the centres most of the match which again highlights the need for Goodman to be elevated for NZ, Melrose and Gillespie were also combative passengers and will again be shown up by the Shore pack in a few weeks.
Ingate is probably worthy but was twisted inside out by the indigenous boys and is probably Happy that he wont face talent like that again this season.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Interesting observation Mini Me. I think Goodman was a casualty of the "Papahatzis experiment" but his rightful place in the top side will come. However, as someone influential in the elite side of rugby said to me this week; it doesn't matter where they are in Aus schools, what matters is their potential to play at the top level. Their time will come.

W

Wrinkled Rat

I would be interested to hear how the the Aussie schools and A players went in their first game back, particularly the Kings boys following their narrow loss to Joeys. Hard to imagine how such a start studded team can loose to one with only one rep player. Did the selectors get it wrong, did the boys just have an off day or were Joeys robbed by the selectors?

From all reports, Knox (CAS) and Auggies (ISA) were very ordinary at the weekend. Oakhill (at home) play Auggies next saturday which will double as a Waratah Shield fixture. Oakhill by 10.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
From all reports, Knox (CAS) and Auggies (ISA) were very ordinary at the weekend. Oakhill (at home) play Auggies next saturday which will double as a Waratah Shield fixture. Oakhill by 10.

I wouldn't say Auggies were ordinary. They played most of the game with only 14 players after their hooker was red carded for dissent and their defence was very strong (ask the Kinross centre that was hit by Purcell in a legal but absolutely smashing tackle -best i've seen all year). Their two Aus reps, Dombkins and Hingano, were very strong with Dombkins voted by Kinross as Auggies best. Brisby was elusive and hard to tackle and scored a very good team try handling three times. Conditions were heavy and the ground very slippery.

The game against Oakhill will be tough. it's Oakhill's Open Day and they are expecting a large crowd to attend given the double importance of the game. i think this will be a cracker of a game and given my leanings I think Auggies will win it through defence and by about 10 points.

W

Wrinkled Rat

I wouldn't say Auggies were ordinary. They played most of the game with only 14 players after their hooker was red carded for dissent and their defence was very strong (ask the Kinross centre that was hit by Purcell in a legal but absolutely smashing tackle -best i've seen all year). Their two Aus reps, Dombkins and Hingano, were very strong with Dombkins voted by Kinross as Auggies best. Brisby was elusive and hard to tackle and scored a very good team try handling three times. Conditions were heavy and the ground very slippery.

The game against Oakhill will be tough. it's Oakhill's Open Day and they are expecting a large crowd to attend given the double importance of the game. i think this will be a cracker of a game and given my leanings I think Auggies will win it through defence and by about 10 points.

I was at the Rats - Uni fixture which was dissapointing in itself and another forum but my schoolboy contacts are a couple of the Knox and Auggies boys parents that have affiliation to the rats. They relayed that the yellow card on kaufman was a little harsh in the first instance but left no room for a red for the latter dissent indiscretion. That Dombkins was dynamic both with and without the ball and that Trim was exceptional in defence at 15 adding that mali was quite by his usual standards and that the hit junior put on was exceptional and in part a legitimate get square for his late shots on both Brisby and Trim earlier in the first half (they need to swap those two guys around in my opinion) The Knox game didn't get into gear in his opinion, perhaps no footy with weather, then a game every other day in the past fortnight took its toll

N

no_name12

i'm interested to see the game between Oakhill and Augustines. Oakhill has been in fine form as i was at the game when they smashed gregs. They are in fine form right now. Auggies have not been at their best. An insider tells me their game against St Pauls last wednesday was disgraceful and the only two standouts (in a game like this, who wouldn't be) were Hingano and Dombkins. The match against Kinross was poor for Auggies as well so they better pick up that form they had at the start of the season if they are to come away with the win for both ISA and the waratah shield. I expect the game to be very physical with the battle of the backlines to be interesting. Luke Keary to stand out against Mali and Jack Jr. Rhys Dombkins if he plays like he did against Kinross should lift the Auggies forward line and be another standout. My tip are Augustines by 2

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Hmm, from the sideline it was one of the most bruising GPS encounters I have seen and hence again rasies questions on the ability od some to cope with the bash and grap approach of NZ schools. Millar and Killingworth can hold their heads up high, Connor was exposed again in not liking it tight or physical games and was in hiding in between the centres most of the match which again highlights the need for Goodman to be elevated for NZ, Melrose and Gillespie were also combative passengers and will again be shown up by the Shore pack in a few weeks.
Ingate is probably worthy but was twisted inside out by the indigenous boys and is probably Happy that he wont face talent like that again this season.

One team bashes them up and you are calling the lowly Shore pack to bash them up give me a break please. You have admitted your affiliation but no need to go that far.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
After watching the final of the Oz Schools C'ships this afternoon on Fox I have to say that I thought Stuart Dunbar and James Vaka were very unlucky not to make one of the Aussie teams. I understand both played well in earlier matches. Both should be a shoe-in for the Presidents XV.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Good call observer, both unlucky not to go further.
Dunbar in particular had a week he will never forget.From being called up from the shadows in the 2's to being V unlucky not to gain selection...what a ride, what a week.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah they were pretty handy weren't they? I thought 12 Apolosi Latunipulu had a good game too. It was my first look at flyhalf Dion Taumata from Keebra Park High School playing very much like Matt To'omua at the same age.

It's great that lads from schools that aren't rugby powerhouses like Keebra Park can get into the Oz Schools team and ditto for 12. Cameron Patrick in Oz A Schools out of Mountain Creek High School - he looks handy too.

Was interesting to see Lausii Taliauli from TSS from after watching him play in the U/16s tournament last year for the Qld White team. He wasn't much of a footie playing in 2009 but he has improved in that area and he made the Oz A School team.

He's very similar to the Qld I wing last year Kimami Sitauti who is in the Oz 7s. He may get a gig there also in the next year or two and I wouldn't be surprised to see Qld Ones winger Lindsay Crook from TSS in that team either.

PS I pity that Greg Clark didn't have a chance to call the name of his son Cameron in the game as it would have been a proud moment. He was selected for NSW Twos but got injured earlier.

He could be calling his name next year though - for NSW Is - if they ever make a final, that is.

N

no_name12

The under 16's N.S.W schools side from last year won the nationals pretty convinsingly in every game. If they have the same team Throw in say clarke because matt hulm is in year 12 next year then the ones should be fairly dominant.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The under 16's N.S.W schools side from last year won the nationals pretty convinsingly in every game. If they have the same team Throw in say clarke because matt hulm is in year 12 next year then the ones should be fairly dominant.

Following on from this and I know its still 12 months away try this side. I think it would go close

1. Ben Lawley
2. Clarrie Moore
3. Alan Alatoa
4. Michael Wells
5. Nathanial Deans
6. Rhys Dombkins
7. Gordon Broome
8. Adam Villmaa
9. Waldo Wessels
10. Jack Debrencenzi (sorry for the spelling)
11. Cam Clarke
12. Chris Ingate
13. Jim Stewart
14. Matt Lee
15. Zac Attalah

Bench: JJ Purcell, Luke Keary,

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Thanks for that list. Its an ongoing problem I have: not being in "the know" about who is back next year. And it would have been good to know at the start of this season who was still in Yr.11 as it adds a bit of interest.

On paper it looks good but Qld always play above their weight. A small part of that is that they start their comp earlier than NSW and especially GPS schools do. To balance that their boys are younger on average; they tend to leave school earlier because they don't have an HSC up there.

I don't think that Matt Hulme is back next year. The only Joeys boys who are back from the Ones that I know of are: 4. Kovacich and 9. McTaggart, and from the Twos: 3. Kim and 15. LeLievre. Maybe Sarge can give us the skinny.

LeLievre is a good chance to make rep teams next year IMO.

Can others list players who have another year to go at school, who made Opens rep teams this year, or are likely rep players in 2011?

Doesn't matter which state; so we'll leave this in the Oz Schools thread.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Jack Debreczeni's in year 12 at Trinity. He and Usaia O'Sullivan will be at the Pirates next year.

G

Goldenone

Yes Lee,Lausii has certainly improved his finishing skills.Unfortunately for him,he suffered quite a nasty shoulder injury ( yep,another one to add to those from the Nat.Champs.) in the match against Brisbane Grammar.He was replaced,not sure if he is playing this weekend against Toowoomba.
As it is Old Boys Week at TSS,the boys usually tend to drag themselves across broken glass to run on for this match.

What is happening with the U16 Championships? Have they been played yet? If so,what happened??

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yes Lee,Lausii has certainly improved his finishing skills.Unfortunately for him,he suffered quite a nasty shoulder injury ( yep,another one to add to those from the Nat.Champs.) in the match against Brisbane Grammar.He was replaced,not sure if he is playing this weekend against Toowoomba.
As it is Old Boys Week at TSS,the boys usually tend to drag themselves across broken glass to run on for this match.

What is happening with the U16 Championships? Have they been played yet? If so,what happened??

The 16's Championship is played late Sept early Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.