• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Serge

Fred Wood (13)
Understand but Folau didn’t play match rugby if any before he switched, and it showed. Sauaalii played rugby for years
But he has only played schoolboy Rugby. Playing Union against men is entirely different. I think he will struggle coming back to Rugby (like many code hoppers before him) and will probably need some years in Super or even Club before he would make the Wallabies. The overhype of League players potentially coming to Union is embarassing. The skill set required in Union is significantly larger than League and far more difficult to attain at elite level.

Last edited:

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I understand you’re his biggest advocate, but saying this is his first disciplinary issue is blatantly incorrect. The guy has been kneeing people in the head for a couple of years now.
Whatever, I'm still not fussed about it with regards to his transition to rugby union. I just did a search and couldn't find anything on record - are these alleged knees to the head just things you didn't like the look of or did he actually get cited? If it's the former there are plenty of things in league that fall into that category.

EDIT: I did find a dangerous contact charge from Rd 10 ($1000 fine) and one from June last year. It doesn't detail the specifics though.

Anyway, it doesn't change my opinion re his transition. I'm happy to sit back and watch.

Last edited:

Linerunner2023

Watty Friend (18)
Yeah look, I'm not all that up to speed with what the league illegal tackle criteria are, but watching the average game they seem to be clearly less stringent than ours. As far as I can tell that is Sua'ali'i's first disciplinary issue, no doubt the adrenalin contributed, and the other factors like about a foot difference in height and that Reece was slipping sideways. It was certainly reckless but I wouldn't call it deliberate or malicious. I'm pretty sure that for anyone coming from league one of the first things they would work on is tackling technique. If Sua'ali'i'i is a flop I doubt it's going to be because of either his tackling or discipline, it's good to see a back with some abrasiveness TBH.
To be honest he does this every week at the roosters, he jams in hard off the centre and leaves the winger stranded - this was always going to happen eventually it was just origin and not for the roosters he collected someone
He also gets caught flat footed in defence not being quick enough to turn
I predicted him to come in hard and let a try or two in origin just not take a player out
But this was always coming after watching him play each week in the nrl

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I hope JS has a long and decorated career in 15s.

the youth of today will be talking about poster child from rugby almost killed the poster child from league.

that hit will be talked about in folklore should those 2 go on to have the career trajectory the professional media pundits are predicting

Linerunner2023

Watty Friend (18)
I think Sauaalii has been extremely overrated in his league career to date. I’ve worked for two NRL clubs and it’s a common opinion. However what League coaches don’t understand is as a No.15 in rugby in the era of 30+ box kicks every test match, having a 6”5’ player like Sauaalii who can leap and safe under the high ball he’ll be invaluable against the Lions and at the RWC.
I agree he wasn’t in the roosters 17 at the start of the year training at fullback in the nsw cup side until Billy smith got injured! Watching nrl each week I don’t know how he came close to getting near origin especially at centre
His defence is rushing in or getting caught flat footed and offers very little in attack then a straight hard run! For his size he should be able to score tries, break tackles use a step and fend but it feels like coming up against men early he learnt to survive and he does play hard but has lacked all the other parts to him game to make him successful as a back! For his height he is also average under the high ball

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cash is great, but everything else about this is naaaht great. Issues people may have with Qatar itself aside, having a neutral and constant finals venue (with a garbage timezone for those outside of Europe) takes away from the spectacle a fair bit imo

Biggest market for the game is in Europe. And it's not all that much different to games in the November window. The change will be that RA will make around $160m out of the deal they other wouldn't.

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
But he has only played schoolboy Rugby. Playing Union against men is entirely different. I think he will struggle coming back to Rugby (like many code hoppers before him) and will probably need some years in Super or even Club before he would make the Wallabies. The overhype of League players potentially coming to Union is embarassing. The skill set required in Union is significantly larger than League and far more difficult to attain at elite level.
lol… cope ….

he will walk straight into the wallabies

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
lol… cope ….

he will walk straight into the wallabies
Suli Vunivalu walked straight into wallabies.

Finished up with storm and not even a week or 2 later was training with wallabies.

the issue with RL prospects is they are big fish in small pond and can sometimes get exposed at test level by the big fish in big pond of world rugby.

I think JS will be a fine product. Actually think he is a better prospect for 15s then someone like Reece Walsh, who is dynamite in league might not have the measurables in union to be the cornerstone of a football team.

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
Suli Vunivalu walked straight into wallabies.

Finished up with storm and not even a week or 2 later was training with wallabies.

the issue with RL prospects is they are big fish in small pond and can sometimes get exposed at test level by the big fish in big pond of world rugby.

I think JS will be a fine product. Actually think he is a better prospect for 15s then someone like Reece Walsh, who is dynamite in league might not have the measurables in union to be the cornerstone of a football team.

world rugby yes …. But Australian rugby is puddle .

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
With all due respect to Jordan, he looks like a bigger, more durable Petaia who can kick. He'll go fine.
I guess the tradeoff is that Petaia seems more agile / elusive to my eyes - regardless, I expect we'll see some fun little battles between the two of them (assuming Petaia sticks around)