• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Or maybe we could just get Super Rugby right with an extended 20 week season, full home-and-away schedule - more home games for SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) clubs etc.
The alternative is going down the same tired old route off standing up a new comp with limited support (yes, limited, which is why GPS gets 2500 every week and the Reds get 14,000). We will sped two or three years faffing about with it, it'll blow all the money from the Lions and RWC and we'll be back in 2008.
With the Rebels now gone we have the opportunity to get SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) right.

The SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) commission apparently met earlier this week. Apparently they are looking at a 6 team final series which makes sense and wait for it starting the season a week earlier. Taking it from 15 to 16 rounds. So looks like more of the same.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm fully supportive of it, purely because I'm working on the assumption it's pilot study for a domestic pro comp which will replace Super Rugby in 2026.

Okay, but the issue is not one of the clubs has the support or resources to do it. My money is on this being a structure catering to a select few as per usual in Rugby that generates little interest or value outside of those groups.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
A home and away competition with 11 teams and a 6 team finals series requires 25 competition weeks: presuming that a week off is required between super rugby finals and the opening game of the mid-year tours, that would require commencing the Super competition on the first weekend in January.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Darby Loudon (17)
I mean if I had money to throw around I would be putting towards Rugby Union in this country as well.

Most wealthy people who put money toward things that won't give them financial returns just do it for whatever? nah they do it because it makes them feel good, would make me feel good too. Weird thing to get the shits at.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I mean if I had money to throw around I would be putting towards Rugby Union in this country as well.

Most wealthy people who put money toward things that won't give them financial returns just do it for whatever? nah they do it because it makes them feel good, would make me feel good too. Weird thing to get the shits at.
Having met many wealthy people in a long life my take is they are the same as all of us some good, some bad, some neither. To assume they do it to get their ego stroked is not the same as feeling good about something. My issue with statements like you made remains the same.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Or maybe we could just get Super Rugby right with an extended 20 week season, full home-and-away schedule - more home games for SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) clubs etc.
The alternative is going down the same tired old route off standing up a new comp with limited support (yes, limited, which is why GPS gets 2500 every week and the Reds get 14,000). We will sped two or three years faffing about with it, it'll blow all the money from the Lions and RWC and we'll be back in 2008.
With the Rebels now gone we have the opportunity to get SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) right.
NFI super rugby is killing the game

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
19 rounds, 2 byes...

But with Super Rugby Pacific going down to 11 teams next year, the number of teams in the finals is also set to be slashed, under the favoured plan being put together by the Super Rugby commission.

Under the proposed competition structure for 2025, the new-look Super Rugby competition would be played across a 19-week season, with two byes for each team, according to sources with knowledge of the plan. Each team would get seven home games, one more than in 2024.
The finals would go back to a top-six, with the teams finishing in first and second spot having a week off, and a first round of finals between third vs sixth and fourth vs fifth.

... only 7 home games?

Last edited:

dru

David Wilson (68)
Surely there's space somewhere in there...
Between the Wales series and the RC is 2 weeks. We need 3 ideally for finals, maybe we could re-schedule for that week? Kick off the RC with NZ v Aus so both sides are equally impacted by any injuries.

So start the season a little later, increase the season for more content to run parallel to the (International) tourist period, follow with Super finals, then Rugby Championship.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Deep into the depths of summer?

look if super rugby was ever going to reinvent its wheel you’d run it in the off season of the NRL. (Spring into summer) you’d get way more eyeballs

I've said previously that I'd be fine with a season switch. AS for Summer. Yes. The South Africans seem to have managed it.