• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Happy for the kids that get a great education and career opportunities out of the deal. I'm sure it sets them and their families up far better than the alternative.

However I can't shake the feeling that there's something weird about a national level initiative to import teenagers to play for your national team. It feels stranger than individual schools independently choosing to take on boarders to me.

The mercenary aspect of modern test rugby rubs me the wrong way and I feel similarly about van der Merwe for Scotland.
Yeah I’m saying it’s a clever strategy from Japan, the ethics are murkier.

If these kids go over at 15 I’m happy for them to be Japan qualified. More so than Tuipulotu for example for Scotland.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah I’m saying it’s a clever strategy from Japan, the ethics are murkier.

If these kids go over at 15 I’m happy for them to be Japan qualified. More so than Tuipulotu for example for Scotland.

And it's nothing less than what the French and NRL do now anyway. There was a whole thing several years back about a number of French clubs having scouts set up in Fiji etc. specifically to identify and recruit junior talent to go to school in France.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Pretty cool initiative that JRU does that Quade spoke about on the KOKO show.

Every year they bring in 45 fifteen year olds from Samoa, Tonga and Fiji. By the time they finish high school and uni they're Japan qualified and can speak the language.

Fabian Holland's two years in NZ high school apparently don't count for his ABs eligibility, so idk why Japan would be any different. i.e., they'd, presumably, have to do five years from turning 18.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ I think the key words are "and Uni": not sure what Japan's school leaving age is but by the time they finish Uni they'd have to be early 20's? And it's nothing new, I can remember watching All Japan v NZ Universities* back in the '70's & both their props & one or both locks were PI.

*Edit: or might have been NZ Juniors when that was our under-23 side. @Dan54 may remember which.

Edit: they played NZU in Auckland & Dunners so it would've been the NZJ match at Athletic Park I saw.

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fabian Holland's two years in NZ high school apparently don't count for his ABs eligibility, so idk why Japan would be any different. i.e., they'd, presumably, have to do five years from turning 18.
Yep. World Rugby residency regulations for students are from "age of majority"

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Is the cost of living that much different Oz to NZ?

when I’ve holidayed there always found it to be more expensive (granted I could be in tourist traps & I’ve never had to pay rent or utilities)
Costs etc are basically the same in the end. I am one who tried the Aus lifestyle, but came because I prefer lifestyle in NZ, but moot point in rugby. What I meant was apart from money I doubt whether many players would see playing over there as helping them to get picked for ABs, even if the Aus clubs did decide to make the big moneymakers in their team Kiwis. It's got very little going for the idea.
Like @Bullrush said I enjoyed my time in Aus, but genuinely only went for change of scene when kids had left home etc. But I genuinely a lot happier here in nZ as it is what suits me.

Last edited:

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Fair enough Dan. I lived overseas for a number of years, but I always preferred Australia and knew at some point we'd be coming home.
Yep mate, was over Aus last year catching up with mates etc, couple asked me if I was regretted moving home. I just replied as I did here, loved my time over there, but NZ is where I belong end of. I have no probls with anyone deciding to live anywhere if that's what does it for them, but some of us are where we from? Hell I got son-in-law here in NZ who says he will never go back to Aus, and I say never say never (though he doesn't even go for hols etc), nieces hubby in Levin says he here forever, but he a t least goes back for hols now and then, and I say to him the same you never know mate. I laugh at the number of families friends I see living here who lived in Aus who said I will never go back to NZ and live , and here they are.
Kiwis and Aussies are all fortunate to live in very very good countries I believe, just look at the things we all moan about etc, all very minor things compared with a most of world!

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I note that Geoff Parkes didn't mention the Rebels being cut once in his wrap on The Roar - considering how vocal he's been makes me think he has been advised NOT to say anything due to the upcoming battle .

Buckle up

I think it’s an old image they’ve used but the rebels just updated their Facebook cover photo and there was a link to rebels membership…

let me go check if it’s still up

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I note that Geoff Parkes didn't mention the Rebels being cut once in his wrap on The Roar - considering how vocal he's been makes me think he has been advised NOT to say anything due to the upcoming battle .

Buckle up

Wait for the comments on his post, that's where you can find the golden comments. The first scan shows him being quite restrained, with more commentary on the emotional impacts on the team, as opposed to the court action.

Still, the trolls are having a crack at baiting him, but he doesn't appear to be biting.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Why does a journalist/writer working for the Roar care what the consortium's legal team thinks?
I believe there is some speculation he is in some way aligned with the consortium, based on his previous coverage of the saga.

This is the issue about the lack of transparency regarding personnel involved...