• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Think again.

Kiwis come here primarily for the employment opportunities and income boost. Ultimately, those things do make up part of the 'superior lifestyle' but there a heap of things that make for a better lifestyle back home. Deeper, richer cultural connections, better food, the relationship with our indigenous people and the rugby are all better back home IMHO.

In saying that - Australia is a great country and I love living here too. But the money is a big part of that and money can't fully satisfy the gaps that those other things leave.
Ignoring the rest, out of interest why should NZ food be any better than Aus? Australia has more cultural diversity than NZ, a larger population, a larger food scene, better hospo pay, a more varied climate, more diverse produce etc.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Broadly speaking I think the connection to food is likely heavily influenced by that persons household, community and culture.

I have a kiwi mate who moved over here years ago and ate nothing but fast food back home, so naturally he loves the diverse options here in Australia.

Conversely my other kiwi mate who moved over is of Maori heritage, can’t get enough of the food when he visits home and is always looking for excuses to try and cook similar dishes here.

At a supermarket level and generally speaking, the food options here and in NZ are quite similar.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Ignoring the rest, out of interest why should NZ food be any better than Aus? Australia has more cultural diversity than NZ, a larger population, a larger food scene, better hospo pay, a more varied climate, more diverse produce etc.
I didn't say anything about cultural diversity, population size or diverse climate. Better pay I already acknowledged - that's why most kiwis come.

Most kiwis find the food - particularly the diary - better back home. And if only we could find a good steak and cheese or mince and cheese pie as easily as we do in NZ. And cream donuts.

I'm fully realise that these are just my own opinions and thoughts but they are shared by most of the kiwis I know.

The way indigenous people are treated here is something I will never get use to or be able to relate to. Racism exists everywhere but I hadn't seen it so blatantly as I did when I moved here and it has taken a bit of adjustment. And before people start complain, yes - racism is worse in other parts of the world and yes, racism happens in NZ too.

As a NZ/Samoan, my wife and I have often discussed moving back purely for the better connection with our culture for our kids. But we're highly doubtful we could get the incomes we have here so....

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Broadly speaking I think the connection to food is likely heavily influenced by that persons household, community and culture.

I have a kiwi mate who moved over here years ago and ate nothing but fast food back home, so naturally he loves the diverse options here in Australia.

Conversely my other kiwi mate who moved over is of Maori heritage, can’t get enough of the food when he visits home and is always looking for excuses to try and cook similar dishes here.

At a supermarket level and generally speaking, the food options here and in NZ are quite similar.
The KFC back home is different. I don't even know how to explain it.

In America, I found the McDonalds burgers better than in NZ or Australia.

There's no wrong or right....it's just our opinions :)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Most kiwis find the food - particularly the diary - better back home. And if only we could find a good steak and cheese or mince and cheese pie as easily as we do in NZ. And cream donuts.

That's understandable.

Australia is filled with amazing country bakeries, but obviously they tend to be located in small regional towns whereas New Zealand has yet to be urbanised...

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The KFC back home is different. I don't even know how to explain it.

In America, I found the McDonalds burgers better than in NZ or Australia.

There's no wrong or right....it's just our opinions :)
Haha,

KFC in Europe, sucked. Although in Prague I did get a nice beer with my meal. As for McDonalds, the best I ever found was Istanbul Turkey.

I did find the Lamb in pub meals in NZ was amazing compared to here.

hoggy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Vogel Bread, can't beat it and shoved a jar of Jed's coffee in my bag coming back from the last trip. As a rep I travel a fair bit in both NZ and Aus food is similar but I reckon NZ has better bakeries, some of the morning smoko shops are just awesome with good choices, they kick arse on filled rolls & pies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I was going to say that now you can get a Whittaker's Peanut Slab or Coconut Slab at most supermarkets, what is NZ offering me?
Steak n cheese pies bro :p

And island style food.....oh god, I'm starting to salivate LOL There are some good shops in Western Sydney tho

In terms of the rugby, we have discussed sending my son back home for school and rugby. One of my good friends is the rugby director at one of the main colleges back home and my son just wants to play rugby. Personally, I think there are some advantages to being here as opposed to being back in NZ but really, I think it depends on how much he wants it. He loves being in NZ and the rugby culture though

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Vogel Bread, can't beat it and shoved a jar of Jed's coffee in my bag coming back from the last trip. As a rep I travel a fair bit in both NZ and Aus food is similar but I reckon NZ has better bakeries, some of the morning smoko shops are just awesome with good choices, they kick arse on filled rolls & pies.
OMG - Vogel bread....YES

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)
Pah, at least he didn't call them the Jillaroos?

So, oh great GAGR community - who agrees that our "experience of following the Wallabies, Wallaroos, and our Super Rugby clubs remains best-in-class" ?

Speaking on the partnership, Rugby Australia’s Chief Commercial Officer, James Durbin, said: “This deal marks the latest example of our commitment to our fans – ensuring that their experience of following the Wallabies, Wallaroos, and our Super Rugby clubs remains best-in-class, and that our fans can show support for their team no matter where they are in the world.

“Particularly as the Wallaroos prepare for the 2025 Women’s Rugby World Cup, and Australia is on the precipice of welcoming the British & Irish Lions in 2025, and Rugby World Cup in 2027, we look forward to showcasing the best of Rugby in Australia".

Fanatics and Michael Rubin might be good at providing an e-commerce platform, but don't allow them to grab exclusive rights to producing the actual merchandise. They have a track record of anything they touch taking an immediate nose dive in quality and durability.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Steak n cheese pies bro :p

And island style food.....oh god, I'm starting to salivate LOL There are some good shops in Western Sydney tho

In terms of the rugby, we have discussed sending my son back home for school and rugby. One of my good friends is the rugby director at one of the main colleges back home and my son just wants to play rugby. Personally, I think there are some advantages to being here as opposed to being back in NZ but really, I think it depends on how much he wants it. He loves being in NZ and the rugby culture though
Where you based now BR?