• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

dru

David Wilson (68)
I have always respected Half's posts. What has been passionate and relevance through "capture in a "wide net" is headed toward redundancy. Well passed tautology at least.

It is pretty much an observe, watch and wait at this point.

I'm pretty uncomfortable with where things look to be headed, and I would prefer the take-up of ideas on this forum, including by Half, but it's becoming something of a wailing wall at this point.

noscrumnolife

Bill Watson (15)
As a matter of debate, have you considered that arguing the quality of the league in question is secondary to arguing about the system and structure.
The point is they are both equally relevant factors. There is no point implementing a new structure for the sole fact it is more safe financially. Arguably the fundamental problem facing Super Rugby is that it is just a poor quality competition and does not attract viewers. There is no point implementing a structure that does not resolve this problem. We should be searching for a model that can do both.

hoggy

Nev Cottrell (35)
The point is they are both equally relevant factors. There is no point implementing a new structure for the sole fact it is more safe financially. Arguably the fundamental problem facing Super Rugby is that it is just a poor quality competition and does not attract viewers. There is no point implementing a structure that does not resolve this problem. We should be searching for a model that can do both.
Then surely the issue we need to face is why is Super Rugby a supposedly poor quality competition, it involves arguably the best rugby playing country on the planet, and I do not think you can dismiss the financial aspect (especially if your National Union is footing the bill) because that will ultimately lead you to bankruptcy.

So what is the model that can do both, surely we can only then look at examples around the globe for the best options.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Might as well put this here. Really interesting post by Cam Orr on Linked In.
Well after 93 days my time in the NZ Capital has come to an end. What an incredible time of growth, challenges and connection with some hugely influential and special people.

My time with Wellington Rugby has revealed some key insights that I’ll take forward with me and I thought I’d share with my wider connections:

The Bunnings NPC needs to be replicated, to some degree, within Australia.

The competition, week in, week out across the board is fierce, fast and full of highly skilled flowing rugby.

The ‘Storm’ week (3 games within 10 days) is nuts!

However, it is such an awesome tactical opportunity for players and coaching staff to test their player depth, high performance protocols and quality of player connections to dig deep after 240 minutes of rugby!

Engagement and Connection are essential.

Everyone has a role in a team environment but adhering to and being able to deliver accurately and regularly isn’t as clear cut. The work the coaches, analysts and staff put into theming, preparing and engaging players in the squad was unequivocal about our mission and tasks on a daily basis. From videos, highlights reels, social connections… each moment seemed purposeful.

I’ve just met some of the greatest humans who also happen to be involved in this game called rugby!

From day dot I was made to feel like i was valued, respected and worthy. Sounds a lot like the fundamentals of happiness. Players who prepare routinely like a World Cup Final but can lend a cheap laugh to some of my shit chat when needed.

The connection between professionalism and enjoyment aren’t mutually exclusive.

This is something that I had forgotten about and taking immense pride in delivering quality performances not just at the game, but in training, in the gym, meetings, greetings and just about any opportunity you can to show your drive leads to the ever so dangling carrot of just having FUN.

Be yourself.

Characters are what makes rugby and life in general unique. You’d struggle to find a person in the Lions set up who wasn’t unashamedly proud of who they are, their culture, where they’ve come from and courageous to share where they want to go.

Treat people like you’d treat your mother.

Feedback in rugby can be tough, I’ve grown up around hyper-critical messages and emotionally charged returns that lack clarity and support. I’m coming to realise this may be a way of making a point, but it can do more damage then it does good to confidence, trust and motivation. In my own self-discovery, I’ve been guilty of this to many times. The way feedback was presented, people were challenged and ultimately given ownership to deliver will last with me forever.

Unsure what’s next, but grateful for every moment over in New Zealand and every friendship, experience and opportunity to grow I had and will continue to hold

noscrumnolife

Bill Watson (15)
Then surely the issue we need to face is why is Super Rugby a supposedly poor quality competition, it involves arguably the best rugby playing country on the planet, and I do not think you can dismiss the financial aspect (especially if your National Union is footing the bill) because that will ultimately lead you to bankruptcy.

So what is the model that can do both, surely we can only then look at examples around the globe for the best options.
Think we are in agreement Hoggy. Where there is a model (private ownership or otherwise) that sometimes produces good competitions and sometimes not, we need to ask ourselves what the subtle distinctions between those competitions are and whether the nuances of the good competitions are suitable for our geographic and economic context.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
No they are not if a poorly run competition keeps getting funded, then the question is why do they keep getting funded.

Just maybe its the system that freely allows investment works.

I have always respected Half's posts. What has been passionate and relevance through "capture in a "wide net" is headed toward redundancy. Well passed tautology at least.

It is pretty much an observe, watch and wait at this point.

I'm pretty uncomfortable with where things look to be headed, and I would prefer the take-up of ideas on this forum, including by Half, but it's becoming something of a wailing wall at this point.
Dru

I posted a while back that in-spite of years nay decades of arguing for a NDC, I feel where we stand today we don't have the players nor the overall community support needed to build a NDC. I am at a lost of what to do and without a change to our systems and structures we are headed to become another hockey team within 10 to 15 or so years.

It saddens me so many refused to accept the logic of our position instead boasting about how great we where. In summary League was in the middle of and then ending its Super League war, the then Soccer Australia was so broke they could not afford to fly out the national team & i time the NSL went broke, AFL was having an off time management wise [by there standards].

Into this with the overwhelming support of News we burst, combined with national team success, what could go wrong and why change???

D-Box

Cyril Towers (30)
You could do a sevens travelling circus with the men's and women's super squads in this window now between football and BBL

If you did round robin you get 24 games per gender (4 per team) and could roll into a straight final and third place games.

Run it Friday prime time (3 hours), Saturday (8 hours), Sunday aim for 4pm finish East coast elite time. Use smaller stadiums to get the atmosphere. Run for the 5 weeks after the AFL/NRL GF and every Super Team hosts a round. Aim for 9 to show the finals on FTA which would be a 90 min - 2 hour package. Stan can show the rest a pretty cheap production costs.

Edit to add this

If you chose venues with a second field you could also run this as a national qualifying 7s comp as well for the local teams in both seniors and juniors. Run the final super rugby sevens in Sydney or Brisbane and have that as the final for the amateur comp. Timing wouldn't directly feed the national sevens squads but would allow early TID for the season the year after

dru

David Wilson (68)
Dru

I posted a while back that in-spite of years nay decades of arguing for a NDC, I feel where we stand today we don't have the players nor the overall community support needed to build a NDC. I am at a lost of what to do and without a change to our systems and structures we are headed to become another hockey team within 10 to 15 or so years.

It saddens me so many refused to accept the logic of our position instead boasting about how great we where. In summary League was in the middle of and then ending its Super League war, the then Soccer Australia was so broke they could not afford to fly out the national team & i time the NSL went broke, AFL was having an off time management wise [by there standards].

Into this with the overwhelming support of News we burst, combined with national team success, what could go wrong and why change???

Half, I don't think I disagreed with any of that and generally I like your thinking. It's just a conversation which is so circular we are drilling holes.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
It saddens me so many refused to accept the logic of our position instead boasting about how great we where.
Who are these ‘many’ you refer to though? I haven’t met many in rugby who don’t realise the depths that rugby has sunk, you sometimes talk as though you’re the only one who can see these issues, yet I’d be surprised if there wasn’t anyone in the rugby community who didn't acknowledge rugbys decline. I think the wailing wall comment resonates here… The problem isn’t identifying the issues, that’s easy and it doesn’t take much effort to reflect back on and identify pivotal moments where rugby went wrong.

The problem now is identifying credible solutions. More importantly it’s identifying a solution that operates with the same variables and market forces that rugby union in Australia does. Whilst it’s great to point out leagues like the MLS, it also needs to be balanced with consideration to the significantly different market and variables it operates within.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Fair enough, it was from a (very fringe) player indicating he was training to be in the frame for it.

Less "there's 0 chance it's true" and more "things will have changed very very quickly in [redacted] land if that's the case", as of Bledisloe 2, people were fairly confident there was such a significant resistance from some influential powers that if an ARC/NRC return was happening 2024 would be too soon.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Meanwhile our Prime Minister is taking Peter V'Landys to a White House dinner so that he can spruik the wonders of a tiny little sport. Fark me, this is the most stupid stunt I have ever heard of.

Biden knows his real rugby thankfully

noscrumnolife

Bill Watson (15)
There is something pretty amusing about the idea that Rugby Union and Rugby League might be the Western World's trump card in the struggle for regional control over the Asia-Pacific. Irony of PVL sitting at a White House Dinner aside, I don't think this is a stupid stunt. It's smart, low-cost, effective politicking. I just hope we can get in on the act.