• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
True, quite true.

Almost scared to post as the great defender of the status que, quite happy with Super Rugby and its history and has no issues with the quality of our young players, and we all know Australian Rugby is at the forefront of marketing excellence, and has a young audience. Gosh and heavens above why copy those yanks they no nothing about sports development.

But for all their faults [and there are many], in the last two weeks investors have pumped 50 million into the dead carcass in buying one a new team in Auckland and a new buyer for Perth, with rumours a new Canberra based team will be announced soon.

Sure its a shit show mate, i won't argue that, but the system / structure has got them 50 F.......ing million dollars to waste and pee up the wall. With another 25 million expected soon.

Where are the new Super Rugby teams in Western Sydney, Newcastle, Tamworth where is our 50 million to waste.

Right, let's look at some recent coverage of the A-League...

This was the grand final sold to Sydney, because the A-League was forced to pay back Paramount for not meeting subscriber targets...

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
1698018890380.png

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Right, let's look at some recent coverage of the A-League...

This was the grand final sold to Sydney, because the A-League was forced to pay back Paramount for not meeting subscriber targets...
Mate, for the love of the holy mother Mary.

Please read this slowly, and read the message, if you see the term A-League and then you say Australian Rugby is better than the A-League, then you have miss read the message. Not only miss read but in miss reading the message you openly attack the poster not the idea. Beyond that because you have miss read the message its closes your mind to alterative solutions, and by reaching the wrong conclusion you revert to constantly defending the status que, often referring to the failures of the A-League.

I don't know but my guess is the A-L has lost over a hundred million dollars maybe hundreds of millions of dollars.

Again the profitability of the A-L and its administration is not the message, and its also what you keep answering to.

The message, and its borne out by the MLS and more recently the MLR in the USA, both experiencing rapid growth.

The message and I have said this hundreds if not thousands of times, the message is they have a structure which brings in capital, intellect, and a drive to succeed that is totally lacking in Australian Rugby.

Another point I constantly raise is increasing competition from other areas, and the lack of response to new competition. Part of the reason there is no response is lack of revenue to respond.

I have maintained that Super Rugby was good, brilliant, at the start, but Australian Rugby needed when it was at its strongest to develop a National Domestic Competition, which was always viewed as beyond crazy. Today, I actually support Super Rugby as we have fallen so far we are incapable of developing a National Domestic Competition IMO. However we need to develop alternative sources of income otherwise we are in big trouble.

In your own words, the shit show that is the A-League has raised 50 million dollars recently, and if rumours are correct a new team and another 25 million in Canberra soon. What IMO this means is Australian Rugby needs to look at the worlds most successful models and all have one thing in common, they have teams with private ownership, Lets say the top four.

USA National Football League [Gridiron]
USA National Basketball League
USA National Baseball League
England English Premier League
Ditto the EPL to many countries in Football

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^^^^^

For the doubters out there.

The only other sport in Australia that operates like rugby of any note is cricket. Both see international test matches as the high point, rugby has Super Rugby, cricket has a state based Shield teams.

All other codes have developed and built upon being a national domestic competition. Even cricket has written off its Shield competition, and has opened up so many more competitions, ODI's, 20 / 20, women's etc. A cricket world cup, now in the Olympics'.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Disregard the bottom sentence then. The first one answers the question.
Nah, it’s out there now. Your second sentence unfortunately coloured the first.

Whether you like him or not, he still positively promotes union. Doesn’t shit can it at every possible opportunity like a former coach that I could mention.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
This quote sums up something we do not appear to be doing to ensure we have our talent pool under control:

His coach Deon Davids on Ox Nche:
“And when they come into camp, to work harder whether they are selected or not, the desire to be part of the squad and perform for their country, to put up a performance like he [Nche] did last night, I think that is tremendous. We have been working with him from school, through the under-20s, and now being part of the Springboks team, so to see that development from him as a player and as a person is tremendous and such an inspiring feeling from a coaching perspective.”

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Nah, it’s out there now. Your second sentence unfortunately coloured the first.

Whether you like him or not, he still positively promotes union. Doesn’t shit can it at every possible opportunity like a former coach that I could mention.
More telling you to disregard if you don't like it. I don't care if it coloured it for you.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Perth sold after going into receivership with debts around 40m. Jets being sold after being propped up by other Sydney Clubs.

Costs 50-60m to run a A-L Club for 5 years apparently. 600m to run it for 5 years on current cost.

Love to know the people willing to fund similar for Rugby.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
From a Perth perspective, Tony Sage (former owner, his premises are in the next street from my office), is in all sorts of protracted battles around his business(es) and the Glory. He's attracted attention from a bunch of three or four letter agencies that you probably don't want to receive a phone call from:

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Perth sold after going into receivership with debts around 40m. Jets being sold after being propped up by other Sydney Clubs.

Costs 50-60m to run a A-L Club for 5 years apparently. 600m to run it for 5 years on current cost.

Love to know the people willing to fund similar for Rugby.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the A-league is a run away success, but those losses are being sustained by private owners who for whatever reason are willing to fund those clubs. The League will thrive or shrink in relation to market demand.

Maybe no one is watching the A League, but the difference is those losses are not being sustained completely by the governing body, unlike Rugby Union.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Half, just to pick up on your questions around structures: yes, rugby union is very much like cricket in that test match footy is the peak of the game. It will hopefully always be that, too. Franchise cricket is eating a bit into the test game and obviously the IPL is big business. That said, the Ashes and test series against India are also big business for cricket in this country. The key will be the big three (Australia, England, India) keeping the other countries competitive. The club system feeds the Shield, which feeds the test team. The club system also feeds the BBL with squad players (the title winning Scorchers had almost all the squad come through the Perth club system).

Talking about Aussie rules, it's not a whole lot different, but obviously the AFL is the apex of the sport here. Junior footy at club and school level feeds the amateur clubs, which feed the state based comps (WAFL, SANFL, VFL etc) which used to be big before non-Vic clubs joined the VFL, which obviously became the AFL.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Barely even a journalist. Just a man spouting nonsense in a silly bandana. Him and his wife are the most up their arse couple in Australia, can't stand them.
I can’t get past more then two lines of his drivel and quickly hit exit!
Dead is probably harsh but a team that once made a QF now not even in the final qualification tournament for the WC.
We sat here at amateur level for 30 years.
Gap from club to pro fell away.
We had visa issues v other countries in Europe and a poor poor administration.
Sucks as a fan to be here and see how bad we are. Happened quickly so a word of caution!

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I can’t get past more then two lines of his drivel and quickly hit exit!

We sat here at amateur level for 30 years.
Gap from club to pro fell away.
We had visa issues v other countries in Europe and a poor poor administration.
Sucks as a fan to be here and see how bad we are. Happened quickly so a word of caution!
I feel many Wallaby fans are still thinking its 1999 and we are confidently swimming in the Professional waters but now its become rough and were just just keeping our nose above the surface.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I don't think anyone is arguing that the A-league is a run away success, but those losses are being sustained by private owners who for whatever reason are willing to fund those clubs. The League will thrive or shrink in relation to market demand.

Maybe no one is watching the A League, but the difference is those losses are not being sustained completely by the governing body, unlike Rugby Union.
Fair point and a good point about the governing body taking the hit in Rugby's case.
They certainly have some ownership change who aren't able to keep it up though. If it wasn't for a couple of the bigger Clubs the whole thing may be gone. I think they all hope to be hoovered up by one of the big Football groups like Manchester City with their portfolio including Melbourne City.