• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Clearly you have to have a vision of where you want to end up at.

Why was it so dumb, two other sporting codes are achieving that exact outcome now.

I am always amazed with Australian rugby that wants to measure its success by essentially being the best in the world, yet mention a domestic club competition and all of sudden its "pie in the sky stuff"
Two other sporting codes that have almost zero international competition.

Goosestep

Bob Loudon (25)
If you've been here more than a minute, Slim has been pretty vocal for ages about this stuff, most of it ignored/ridiculed etc by various posters.

I can see why he's poking fun at dumb ideas that are not new and been around the traps for ages - just search for the where to for super rugby.

It's always interesting watching people come out of the woodwork when the Wallabies are in crisis, and start saying stuff a lot of us smarter then me have been saying for years as if it's a brand new revelation.

Of course the head honchos at Rugby Australia have designed to ignore us
IMG_9875.gif

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Panda saying a few players looking to jump ship. It's paywalled, doesn't say who. Also talks about a 20 club 2 division comp based off Shute Shield and Hospital Cup teams instead of Super. Allegedly RA did a survey among the players to see if they backed Rennie, which they did, and McLennan made the captains call anyway.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Laurie Daley is a chump trying to fly NRL buying union out. But I reckon he was fed the line to ask Peter V'Landys on radio. Going to be seeing a lot more articles kicking us while we're down.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
It’s so nice of NewsCorp to turn their attention back to the Wallabies and Australian rugby after three years…

To be fair, hiring Eddie was always going to push rugby back into mainstream news, which im sure was a planned RA tactic.

Bombing out in the pool stages of the RWC after Eddie gave the media a spray for being against him definitely wasn’t in their plans.

They need to cop this.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, hiring Eddie was always going to push rugby back into mainstream news, which im sure was a planned Rugby Australia tactic.

Bombing out in the pool stages of the RWC after Eddie gave the media a spray for being against him definitely wasn’t in their plans.

They need to cop this.

I don’t disagree, but the content of some of the articles is… predictable.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
As much as the spotlight is on (a) Eddie for his team selection, Japanese interview and the disrespectful way he's spoken in the media, (b) Hamish for his 'Captain's pick' and (c) the players for their performance, how about:

(D) Everybody attached to the high-performance decision making and $ spent over this RWC cycle. It would make the eyes water to consider the costs associated with 4 years of camps in QLD (instead of at Moore Park), the number of players flown around the country and world who were either jettisoned late or never in contention for the RWC (Foley springs to mind), and the $ spent on the individual rehab programs for long-term injured players (Quade, Tupou, Leota, Bell, Kerevi) over the course of the last 9 months. Surely record levels of investment in the Wallabies which correlate with record poor performances

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As much as the spotlight is on (a) Eddie for his team selection, Japanese interview and the disrespectful way he's spoken in the media, (b) Hamish for his 'Captain's pick' and (c) the players for their performance, how about:

(D) Everybody attached to the high-performance decision making and $ spent over this RWC cycle. It would make the eyes water to consider the costs associated with 4 years of camps in QLD (instead of at Moore Park), the number of players flown around the country and world who were either jettisoned late or never in contention for the RWC (Foley springs to mind), and the $ spent on the individual rehab programs for long-term injured players (Quade, Tupou, Leota, Bell, Kerevi) over the course of the last 9 months. Surely record levels of investment in the Wallabies which correlate with record poor performances
Even the fact that RA didn't stop the Wallaby camp just before dumping Rennie, surely a waste of money when they knew that Rennie was gone?

Can't read the article about some players looking to jump ship, that perhaps for some is self preservation of their ability to earn the good $s. It was something I heard a a couple of players talking about it on tv.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Laurie Daley is a chump trying to fly NRL buying union out. But I reckon he was fed the line to ask Peter V'Landys on radio. Going to be seeing a lot more articles kicking us while we're down.

Why?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I agree. In the hypothetical case that RA goes into administration they would surely be one of the entities that would ask to ‘look at the books’. However, they would get outbid by a bunch of wealthy suits and the cycle would commence again.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I agree. In the hypothetical case that Rugby Australia goes into administration they would surely be one of the entities that would ask to ‘look at the books’. However, they would get outbid by a bunch of wealthy suits and the cycle would commence again.

I suspect my thinking is a little different. On the proviso that an NRL buy out was not to subsume the game into League, how would the NRL admin and commercial strength be a bad thing for rugby?

For some considerable time, RA has simply been a repugnant executive with little sporting administrative nous. I can think of worse trajectories starting with the one we are actually on.

I don’t recommend this pathway, far from it, but I don’t think Laurie Daley is being a chump in any way.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
to my mind one of the glaring issuses is that the top players (Wallabies aside) simply do not play enough rugby.

given the thousand of words written, i am sure a format such as this has already been posited and disposed of, but here goes. on the assumption that Super Rugby Pa doesn't fall over, RA are committed to it for the next 10 (is that correct?). What about a simple Super Au to follow, home and away, call them NSW (Tahs), Qld (Reds), ACT (Brums), Vic And WA, include the Drua if you wish, thats another 8 -10 pro games for the Super rugby squads, combine it with womens and or U20's for double / triple headers, play it at smaller venues (eg, Leichart, Ballymore, wherever). Club rugby continues as is or develops into a nationwide competition ($$$$ from whom). During the inbound tours the "A" team play a 3 test series against one of Tonga, Fiji, Samoa on a rotating basis. That would keep the upper echelons playing until the EOYT, keep the non Wallaby super players occupied, playing a higher standard than Shute Shield, Hospital Cup or John Dent, Dewar, etc and help develop the fringe players, keeps the interstate rivalries and punter interest, caveat: i have no idea how much this would cost or how this would be funded or whether RUPA would simply say no. this is not the NPC by another name,

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Can't be arsed reading all of the above, but I did tweet some time ago that we've tried NRC and other options, and SRU attempted to scuttle them all.

So let them have a crack. See if they've got the sack - and the financial power - to take what is effectively a semipro competition run out of cowsheds and sell it as a development tool for The Greater Good.

You won't get all the Sydney clubs fronting up though - some will simply not have the cash or admin to do it.

Because what it WON'T be is bringing thousands of new fans. The issue with Premier Rugby in Sydney particularly is that they've spent so long alienating the rest of the scene, that we're absolutely apathetic to their needs, problems, and desires.

In the shorter term: another whole round of Super Rugby squads without Test players to bash each other for 12 weeks or so. Cheapest available scenario.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Can't be arsed reading all of the above, but I did tweet some time ago that we've tried NRC and other options, and SRU attempted to scuttle them all.

So let them have a crack. See if they've got the sack - and the financial power - to take what is effectively a semipro competition run out of cowsheds and sell it as a development tool for The Greater Good.

You won't get all the Sydney clubs fronting up though - some will simply not have the cash or admin to do it.

Because what it WON'T be is bringing thousands of new fans. The issue with Premier Rugby in Sydney particularly is that they've spent so long alienating the rest of the scene, that we're absolutely apathetic to their needs, problems, and desires.

In the shorter term: another whole round of Super Rugby squads without Test players to bash each other for 12 weeks or so. Cheapest available scenario.
Noting substantive is going to happen is it? it'll just be the same problems and the same solutions, forever.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I suspect my thinking is a little different. On the proviso that an NRL buy out was not to subsume the game into League, how would the NRL admin and commercial strength be a bad thing for rugby?

As long as he allows us to keep playing 15s game I internationally - guess your logic is sound…

But even with the success of the NRL… I want “the horse racing guy” nowhere near my game.

Rugby might be a slow dying product but I am proud of its ethical standards and the role models we produce…

I believe there’s one rugby club left in Australia with pokie machines - and that’s in Tuggergong….

Leagues grassroots is very well supported by their fans sticking their pay cheques into a pokie machine down at their local leagues club.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
As long as he allows us to keep playing 15s game I internationally - guess your logic is sound…

But even with the success of the NRL… I want “the horse racing guy” nowhere near my game.

Rugby might be a slow dying product but I am proud of its ethical standards and the role models we produce…

I believe there’s one rugby club left in Australia with pokie machines - and that’s in Tuggergong….

Leagues grassroots is very well supported by their fans sticking their pay cheques into a pokie machine down at their local leagues club.
All the more reason for the NSW Government to grow a set and enact some meaningful pokie reform. Maybe that’ll be rugby’s chance to capitalise on league grassroots