• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

wamberal99

Bob Loudon (25)
What aspect of the ‘international dimension’ exactly makes us more appealing in 2023?

With the money these guys make in the NRL and AFL they can easily afford to spend 2 months in their offseason laying on a boat in Greece.

If the appeal is playing games against international opponents… I’m not sure the concept of going overseas to be smacked by 40pts by some frogs or boks would be high on the bucket list for many professional athletes.

Sorry for being so bleak. But I find the international appeal argument quite dull.
I was not talking about what the players might or might not like (as it happens, I can see a lot of advantages from a player's point of view in short domestic flights compared to long international ones - once would be enough).

I was talking about the attractiveness and corporate standing of the game itself. We have regional competitions. We have internationals between nations. We have World Cups. Our game is played - to varying degrees - in many countries. Play rugby, and see the world. We have scores of northern hemisphere players in Shute Shield every year, and no doubt other competitions as well. A good club rugby player can travel and play and get some material rewards, as well as great life experience.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dru

You know how much I argued for a national domestic competition.

But our key heartland areas are going or gone. Eastern suburbs of Sydney is now an AFL heartland, with Soccer gaining massive support, and still with South's n East's.

Around Eastwood or the Northern Districts in general it's Soccer, Western Sydney was lost to league sometime ago and is very weak.

Rugby's dominance in private schools is under huge pressure.

The lack of junior players and players with quality is alarming.

What's needed now is to try and hold existing structures in place and maybe build from there.

As for getting a NDC off the ground I just feel it's way way to late.
Lol nowhere in Sydney can be described as AFL heartland

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Furtherest thing from the truth.

The players are already developed at schoolboy level in qld/nsw gps rugby.

Go take a look at Wikipedia of rugby players from Canberra. There’s one notable name… Bernie - The rest of the brumbies are hired mercenaries from qld/nsw

I find it interesting when most posters on this forum regard 'development' as school boys development and then club level development.

I would argue the most important part of development is the transition from club level to super rugby level and then test level. The Brumbies are undoubtedly better then other other club at this.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I find it interesting when most posters on this forum regard 'development' as school boys development and then club level development.

I would argue the most important part of development is the transition from club level to super rugby level and then test level. The Brumbies are undoubtedly better then other other club at this.

Creating semantics here, Viking. If that school boys and club level wasn't there the Brumbies would have nothing. Whether or not those schools and clubs are in the ACT.

Can only agree with you that the Brumbies are the leaders in developing personnel once they have been brought in to the Brumbies academy. You just can't develop nothing.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I can’t imagine what appeal touring the world, and playing in major sporting events such as a World Cup, or a Lions tour would have on anyone…

The international element is not the be all and end all, but it is something the game can offer that the other domestic behemoths do not… an end of year vacation to Bali is not really comparable.

And how many former NRL players are earning big money in the Top 14?

It would seem the big Euros are being saved for former Australian rugby stars like Tom Staniforth, and Richie Arnold….
One thing I think is often misunderstood in rugby is just how much the NRL guys are earning. They are already earning Japanese rugby, Top 14 level money. Plus you can earn stacks in 3rd party deals and there isn’t many NRL guys paying for their car etc.

I get both sides of the argument. I think the international component is something of value, but it isn’t to travel to other countries. There isn’t many NRL guys that couldn’t easily afford to travel where ever they want, but it’s more about competing against elite athletes from other countries.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rugby's dominance in private schools is under huge pressure.

The lack of junior players and players with quality is alarming.

What's needed now is to try and hold existing structures in place and maybe build from there.

Disagree. Existing structures are killing rugby, because they're still running for an amateur era.

If you're worried about Junior & Senior numbers, schools are where reform is required.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
One thing I think is often misunderstood in rugby is just how much the NRL guys are earning. They are already earning Japanese rugby, Top 14 level money. Plus you can earn stacks in 3rd party deals and there isn’t many NRL guys paying for their car etc.

I get both sides of the argument. I think the international component is something of value, but it isn’t to travel to other countries. There isn’t many NRL guys that couldn’t easily afford to travel where ever they want, but it’s more about competing against elite athletes from other countries.
The top NRL players get good money (usually the "spine"), but like rugby most don't. It is why NRL wingers are prime opportunities, they don't get the big dollars

As to the international argument. sounds good for a 20yro, less exciting for a 26yro, with a couple of kids

As to Hooper, money is unlikely to be a major motivator and the chance to be an Olympian? Money can't by that

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The top NRL players get good money (usually the "spine"), but like rugby most don't. It is why NRL wingers are prime opportunities, they don't get the big dollars

As to the international argument. sounds good for a 20yro, less exciting for a 26yro, with a couple of kids

As to Hooper, money is unlikely to be a major motivator and the chance to be an Olympian? Money can't by that
Here is a great article from 2022 outlining the pay levels

Only 1 position where the median salary is under $500k which is wingers. It’s big money everywhere.

wamberal99

Bob Loudon (25)
).
Here is a great article from 2022 outlining the pay levels

Only 1 position where the median salary is under $500k which is wingers. It’s big money everywhere.

I read an article quite a while ago which claimed the the average playing life of an NRL player was three or four years. The latest info from the NRL states 75 matches. And they earn it the hard way.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

That's the top 5 highest paid players in the position.

There's obviously a lot more jobs to go around in the NRL with the number of teams but the low end starters in the backs are on about $200k based on that.

In the forwards that is probably $200-250k for players either starting or on the bench consistently.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
$200k for a player at the elite level who could be one major injury away from retirement doesn't really seem like that much to me. Moreover, that injury could come fairly early in their career and they could be on the scrap heap in their early 20's.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
IMG_8713.jpeg

Good for the program. When they can often be so young in the 7s he can bring a lot to training as well as games.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Lol nowhere in Sydney can be described as AFL heartland
East Sydney is close. The junior club Numbers are about the same. Even schools like Waverley have 8 or so teams now.

It's probably 50-50 in the east. North Sydney is still mostly Union for juniors.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
East Sydney is close. The junior club Numbers are about the same. Even schools like Waverley have 8 or so teams now.

It's probably 50-50 in the east. North Sydney is still mostly Union for juniors.
I'm not sure that's reflective of where their eyeballs are at though. I played some Aussie rules as a kid because my friends did but I only ever occasionally watched the Lions whilst I could have told you basically exactly what was going on across both Super Rugby and NRL.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

No it’s not Australian Rules heartland. Doing better than Union doesn’t qualify it as Australian Rules heartland

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)

Tattarang, Twiggy's investment arm, enters final round negotiations with Rugby Australia.

Not really my area but I take it as a positive having a very Australian Public facing company being the investors over CVC. Surely a little more accountability and Twiggy's interest in rugby should mitigate a little their desire to turn a profit at any and all detriment to RA.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Sorry in advance if there is already something similar in place Rugby has that I missed. If we don't this idea is worth considering.

Before I start just some basic points. The A-L this year will have roughly 50% of their games as double headers, i.e. the women's team and the men's team, playing one after the other.

The A-L has just announced, all kids under 16 no matter whether they play or not can go to the women's game for free. Only Perth have not signed on. The free pass seems from what I read to be in the form of a card and is not restricted to a single team, meaning the card can be used across all teams except Perth.

The logic appears to be to build a young fan base, increase crowds, sell merch, increase sponsorship.

No idea, what it cost, no idea how they plan to manage it, no idea if it will work, but it will be interesting to see if its successful or not.

In part this is what the media release says.

""The Liberty A-League Pass was introduced last season but there is one big change for the upcoming campaign, with free entry now available to ALL people aged 16 or under to every 2023-24 match throughout the Liberty A-League home and away campaign*". https://keepup.com.au/news/a-league-womens-world-cup-australian-football-news-fifa-wwc/#:~:text=The Liberty A-League Pass gives youngsters 16 and younger,announced in the near future.

Given the size of the stadiums we play in and the crowds we are getting, is this idea of any kid under 16 gets in for free especially given the WC is coming up as it seems soccer is doing this off the FIFA WWC.

Last edited:

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Sorry in advance if there is already something similar in place Rugby has that I missed. If we don't this idea is worth considering.

Before I start just some basic points. The A-L this year will have roughly 50% of their games as double headers, i.e. the women's team and the men's team, playing one after the other.

The A-L has just announced, all kids under 16 no matter whether they play or not can go to the women's game for free. Only Perth have not signed on. The free pass seems from what I read to be in the form of a card and is not restricted to a single team, meaning the card can be used across all teams except Perth.

The logic appears to be to build a young fan base, increase crowds, sell merch, increase sponsorship.

No idea, what it cost, no idea how they plan to manage it, no idea if it will work, but it will be interesting to see if its successful or not.

In part this is what the media release says.

""The Liberty A-League Pass was introduced last season but there is one big change for the upcoming campaign, with free entry now available to ALL people aged 16 or under to every 2023-24 match throughout the Liberty A-League home and away campaign*". https://keepup.com.au/news/a-league-womens-world-cup-australian-football-news-fifa-wwc/#:~:text=The Liberty A-League Pass gives youngsters 16 and younger,announced in the near future.

Given the size of the stadiums we play in and the crowds we are getting, is this idea of any kid under 16 gets in for free especially given the WC is coming up as it seems soccer is doing this off the FIFA WWC.
I like it, would be great if Super Rugby could pair this with some family friendly time slots, like sunday arvo matches.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Tattarang, Twiggy's investment arm, enters final round negotiations with Rugby Australia.

Not really my area but I take it as a positive having a very Australian Public facing company being the investors over CVC. Surely a little more accountability and Twiggy's interest in rugby should mitigate a little their desire to turn a profit at any and all detriment to Rugby Australia.

He offered this once before but wanted x amount of seats on the board which Raelene said no. Will be interesting if the Hamish lets him get at least 1.