• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Just one advantage: Time zone. Argentina usually sold out stadium of 40k for TRC but TV viewers aren't so many cause most of the games are played at dawn in local time

There would be alot more interest from a fan perspective & commercially if Fiji were in the RC instead of Arg

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
One of the biggest gripes about CVC and F1 is the move to PayTV platforms. Which as a Rugby fan is understandable. One of the genius things about it was the Drive to Survive series which introduced millions of new fans.

Difference is motor racing is a fan bigger sport than Rugby. And an easier sell to markets like the States.

Ultimately though. CVC is on the nose for many Rugby people because of the situation up north. Which putting my tinfoil hat on here for a second comes across as somewhat intended from their perspective. They are the drivers behind the URC and have previously alluded to wanting an NFL like structure in Europe. Merging both leagues would almost achieve that.
Yet the ufc is PPV so even more restrictive

I think there will always be resistance to these types of deals as to fans sport isn’t a business. To us it’s about winning

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
There would be alot more interest from a fan perspective & commercially if Fiji were in the RC instead of Arg
I don't think, Argentina is a big Union with something like 100k registered players, plays in big football stadiums and is more competitive than Fiji. Almost won the Super Rugby in 2019

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I don't think, Argentina is a big Union with something like 100k registered players, plays in big football stadiums and is more competitive than Fiji. Almost won the Super Rugby in 2019

& all of that has zero impact here, Fiji will sell out a stadium in aus or nz alot quicker than arg ever would

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
The responsibility of sell tickets lies with the local team. The Fijians couldn't sold out the Parramatta stadium neither Allianz for Sydney Sevens.

SANZAAR thinks like me and they take the decisions

If sanzaar replaced arg with either Japan or Arg tomorrow no one in aus would blink an eyelid

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
yet you would do anything to be let back in
Hv79luR.jpg

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
90% of SANZAAR revenue is generated outside of Australia, likely to increase in coming decades also, international broadcast rights and time zones is a key value driver.

Hence a major reason Argentina appeals for commercial value and why most of the Argentina based games are afternoon games, because it broadcasts prime-time into Europe and South Africa.

Jamie

Billy Sheehan (19)
90% of SANZAAR revenue is generated outside of Australia, likely to increase in coming decades also, international broadcast rights and time zones is a key value driver.

Hence a major reason Argentina appeals for commercial value and why most of the Argentina based games are afternoon games, because it broadcasts prime-time into Europe and South Africa.
I much rather watch Wallabies vs Fiji, for some reason I never get excited about Pumas test. But I see how this would work.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
I much rather watch Wallabies vs Fiji, for some reason I never get excited about Pumas test. But I see how this would work.
So would I, however a European or South African broadcaster won’t pay a premium for additional games on at 2am, whereas they will for the prime time matches.

This is where the conflicting commercial interests of parties within SANZAAR have arguably lead the game down a path contrary to what it really should have, like adding Fiji.

Jamie

Billy Sheehan (19)
So would I, however a European or South African broadcaster won’t pay a premium for additional games on at 2am, whereas they will for the prime time matches.

This is where the conflicting commercial interests of parties working SANZAAR have arguably lead the game down a path contrary to what it really should have, like adding Fiji.
Yep I agree, in hindsight, Fiji was not ready at the time. Hopefully they are onboard soon

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
I’d love to see the figures that they’re working with, it seems a no-brainer for us to include Japan/Fiji but I’d be interested to see the feedback for what the broadcast rights in Japan are actually worth. Whilst Japans a potentially lucrative market, the broadcast value doesn’t seem to reflect that so far.

Ultimately adding Fiji/Japan means scrapping the round robin, so the potential value generated from Japan/Fiji fixtures doesn’t offset the loss of one less RSAvNZ or NZvAUS fixture

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’d love to see the figures that they’re working with, it seems a no-brainer for us to include Japan/Fiji but I’d be interested to see the feedback for what the broadcast rights in Japan are actually worth. Whilst Japans a potentially lucrative market, the broadcast value doesn’t seem to reflect that so far.

Ultimately adding Fiji/Japan means scrapping the round robin, so the potential value generated from Japan/Fiji fixtures doesn’t offset the loss of one less RSAvNZ or NZvAUS fixture
When Japan starts to be competitive then the worth will be huge