• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Seems RA is edging towards a similar PE deal as NZR have with Silver Lake.

The Roar can reveal RA will sell up to 19.5 per cent to a private equity firm over the coming months, which could bring in anywhere from $150-$250 million depending on how much they sell off – of which the governing body will keep 75 per cent of the revenue to ensure that rugby union in Australia doesn’t ever risk going under once more and, indeed, thrives into the future.

It’s believed the governing body wants to have a deal in place by no later than September.

“We’ve just started early engagement with the market,” Marinos told reporters. “We’ve been through a very extensive consultation process with all of our member unions, Super Rugby franchises and players’ association, so I’m quite relieved all the desktop work that we’ve been doing, we’re now able to put that into the market and test the market and see what investor appetite there is, and it’s been positive so far.”

The Roar understands it’s Silver Lake’s – the same private equity firm that NZR has partnered with – to lose, but there are a number of candidates including CVC that RA could yet partner with. The extra money shapes as offering Rugby Australia a second chance, having squandered their war chest following the 2003 World Cup.

Aus + NZ sharing the same partner makes sense and likely bodes well for those wanting a more stand alone Super Rugby setup. From my own amateur sleuthing, back when NZR were going through this, Silver Lake certainly seemed the better option than CVC. See for e.g., the performances of UFC (Silver Lake) vs. F1 (CVC). Also wonder if CVC's standing has taken a hit with the English clubs imploding...

Last edited:

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Seems Rugby Australia is edging towards a similar deal as NZR have with Silver Lake.

Aus + NZ sharing the same partner makes sense and likely bodes well for those wanting a more stand alone Super Rugby setup. From my own amateur sleuthing, back when NZR were going through this, Silver Lake certainly seemed the better option than CVC. See for e.g., the performances of UFC (Silver Lake) vs. F1 (CVC). Also wonder if CVC's standing has taken a hit with the English clubs imploding...
Read recently that RFU is about to post a massive loss and it's largely due to CVC's 27% ownership. Really hoping that their troubles are CVC specific and generally private equity related but I can't see how. Not convinced it's the way forward.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Seems Rugby Australia is edging towards a similar private equity deal as NZR have with Silver Lake.

I said it 3 yrs ago both unions selfishly looking after themselves wont help long term, we should have expanded the RC to 6 with Fiji & Japan & sold the 7th share of that

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems Rugby Australia is edging towards a similar private equity deal as NZR have with Silver Lake.

F1 is absolutely flying. Not sure that’s a great example

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Read recently that RFU is about to post a massive loss and it's largely due to CVC's 27% ownership. Really hoping that their troubles are CVC specific and generally private equity related but I can't see how. Not convinced it's the way forward.
Hmm not sure about that, RFU don’t own the Premiership it’s owned by the clubs, when that was sold that revenue went to the clubs who owned it. It shouldn’t impact on RFU revenue.

Only thing RFU have agreed to sell to PE is their stake in the 6 Nations

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
F1 is absolutely flying. Not sure that’s a great example

One of the biggest gripes about CVC and F1 is the move to PayTV platforms. Which as a Rugby fan is understandable. One of the genius things about it was the Drive to Survive series which introduced millions of new fans.

Difference is motor racing is a fan bigger sport than Rugby. And an easier sell to markets like the States.

Ultimately though. CVC is on the nose for many Rugby people because of the situation up north. Which putting my tinfoil hat on here for a second comes across as somewhat intended from their perspective. They are the drivers behind the URC and have previously alluded to wanting an NFL like structure in Europe. Merging both leagues would almost achieve that.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Only comment I would make on the deal is 19.5% if it is right is a pretty big slice to sell off. NZR I know has sold 6% with possibilty of going to 12-14% which I think is too much? Though I am sure the financial men that run RA will have it worked out and won't make any bad deals.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Content, world rugby voting power (relative parity with the 6 nations voting block would be massive) and another step into a very lucrative Japanese market, particularly at a sponsorship level
I think they both bring good rugby content to potentially.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Only comment I would make on the deal is 19.5% if it is right is a pretty big slice to sell off. NZR I know has sold 6% with possibilty of going to 12-14% which I think is too much? Though I am sure the financial men that run Rugby Australia will have it worked out and won't make any bad deals.

Are u sure??? That's my biggest fear. Look at what happened to RA from 2003 to nowadays

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Can someone explain how the RFU has lost money if they don't have anything to do with the Premiership? Did they bail any of them out? Covid hangover? We'd kill to have stadiums sold out like Twiks