• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hospital's cup was on a full round bye this weekend, there literally weren't the games to release a lot of these guys to.

And I bet your bottom dollar the players going back to hospital cup would have been minimal.

the wallabies and RA has always had a “hold a tackle bag” mindset being far more advantageous then being tackled by a plumber or university student down in club rugby.

sucks about Kurtley injury but that’s rugby. I’m guessing it could spook Joe Schmidt into continuing to hold wallabies out of club rugby

Linerunner2023

Bill Watson (15)
It’s been an issue for 2 decades now
Players leave school and they are next in line for the 15th next best 9 for the wallabies for the next World Cup so they get put on ice
Professional trainers
You can also get injured in training or getting out of the shower so better off getting injured playing an actual game of rugby
You need to play games to get better and have basic game management skills - look at the ABs they get the physical side but also game awareness
Happened last year as well when jones had wallabies and Aus a players back something like over 60 odd who wernt playing club rugby
And it doesn’t help bridge the relationship between shield and super rugby

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The obvious rebuttal to all of this, is Australia's professional coaches, for 20 years now, don't think Shute.Shield, or any of our amateur competitions, are of sufficient quality to actually drive the improvement they are looking for. And the risk of injury is higher than any benefit.

And they are looking at KB (Kurtley Beale) right now.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
How many All Blacks are going back to an amateur comp to play rugby, look I'm all for players playing as much as they can, but you have raised one player who was asked not to play (with no actual evidence other then you saying that was the case, and its been pointed out 4 others did and one got injured. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) played in Brisbane last week. Maybe some of these players aren't playing because they don't want to risk their livelihood in SS/John Dent or Hospital Cup.

Im with Slim I call bullshit, complaining for complaining sake,it would seem that the Wallabies released anyone who weren't needed for the 23, and then it was more then likely the player who choose if they played or not.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
and the obvious rebuttal is we haven’t had any good coaches or any good teams at the national level for the last 20 years.

It’s time to blow it up - and do something different in this country - Stop wrapping mediocre talent in cotton wool…

Linerunner2023

Bill Watson (15)
But that’s where the next best players are coming from? So how are we trying to improve it without talent going back to help? Or the 19 year old who’s next in line but can’t break into the shute shield side

Linerunner2023

Bill Watson (15)
How many All Blacks are going back to an amateur comp to play rugby, look I'm all for players playing as much as they can, but you have raised one player who was asked not to play (with no actual evidence other then you saying that was the case, and its been pointed out 4 others did and one got injured. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) played in Brisbane last week. Maybe some of these players aren't playing because they don't want to risk their livelihood in SS/John Dent or Hospital Cup.

Im with Slim I call bullshit, complaining for complaining sake,it would seem that the Wallabies released anyone who weren't needed for the 23, and then it was more then likely the player who choose if they played or not.
Well good on you for your opinion
Shame no one else can have theirs
Maybe it comes to supporting club rugby so those players and fans turn up to a tahs or brumbies game?
or why no one watches super rugby any more and the Shute shields crowds and nearly what a tahs or brumbies game gets

Linerunner2023

Bill Watson (15)
Manly had hoped to have Lalakai Foketi on the bench against Gordon this Saturday until Rugby Australia intervened & ordered him to remain on stand-by for the 38-man Wallabies camp in Queensland. On stand-by for a training camp instead of playing footy for his local club

Above from twitter also
Take it how you read it but I would not be surprised at all with RA! 1 wallabies player released and 4 super players in shit house considering there is 170 odd contracted players across the 5 sides

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Tahs as poor as they were this season average over 12k. I watched the Easts/Wicks game yesterday. A rivalry game I'm familiar with on a personal level. As fierce as any. For that level the crowd was good. But at best a couple of thousand.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Manly had hoped to have Lalakai Foketi on the bench against Gordon this Saturday until Rugby Australia intervened & ordered him to remain on stand-by for the 38-man Wallabies camp...
You can have your opinion, never said you can't but I find it hard to believe there wasn't a specific reason Foketi was not released and people in the squad where. And it had nothing to do with not caring about club land.

Your acting like they have banned all players from playing this weekend.. clearly it's not true.