• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
the current salary cap is 5.5 million.

I think the fairest options is taking the rebels out of equation and being left with 4 teams is to increase the salary cap to 6.875 million (5.5 + 1.375) that allows the 4 Aus RA franchises to spread the salary cap hit from removing rebels fairly across the comp.
Squad size doesn't change though right? So around 20% of 2024 positions aren't going to exist in 2025.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Squad size variations and the possibility of an increased salary cap aside, agents and players will make their decisions on each franchise’s rugby program and their performance in 2024. The Brumbies and the Force could well be the winners in the player merry go round. Not so much the Reds as they appear to have most positions covered for depth, unless they look to off load some of the older members of the squad.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
the current salary cap is 5.5 million.

I think the fairest options is taking the rebels out of equation and being left with 4 teams is to increase the salary cap to 6.875 million (5.5 + 1.375) that allows the 4 Aus RA franchises to spread the salary cap hit from removing rebels fairly across the comp.
RA already wasn't paying the clubs the full amount of salary cap under the agreements, was only paying 3.8 so that's a extra 2 million per side that needs to come from somewhere.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
From a source with knowledge Tahs wanted 11 ex Rebels, 7 refused point blank, Kellaway was one of the 11, the other 3 are still negotiating
Let's all take a breath and wait until the Tahs do actually appoint a coach. I completely understand players not wanting to go to a team without a coach. It might feel a bit different turning down an opportunity from McKellar or Cheika.

Steve_Grey

Jimmy Flynn (14)
RA already wasn't paying the clubs the full amount of salary cap under the agreements, was only paying 3.8 so that's a extra 2 million per side that needs to come from somewhere.
Indeed - all great in theory to want to pay more for players, but where is that money coming from?

The Franchises can't break even now, even with the Broadcast distribution and RA top-ups.

More Billionaires needed....or corporate involvement like the Japan model.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Indeed - all great in theory to want to pay more for players, but where is that money coming from?

The Franchises can't break even now, even with the Broadcast distribution and RA top-ups.

More Billionaires needed....or corporate involvement like the Japan model.
And broadcast revenue will decrease, both Stan and Fox sports wanted Australia having 5 teams in the negotiations. That was sent around from some pretty reliable sources.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm only 15mins in and the social media aspect of this interview is pretty interesting.

I was talking to someone who is heavily involved in the marketing of rugby here but has come from an NRL background and from his perspective, RA is so much harder to work with to get the game marketed well particularly on the social media front.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm only 15mins in and the social media aspect of this interview is pretty interesting.

I was talking to someone who is heavily involved in the marketing of rugby here but has come from an NRL background and from his perspective, RA is so much harder to work with to get the game marketed well particularly on the social media front.

Any insight into this? Is it because we don't have prominent players for marketing? Or are RA not wanting to spend money on it?

The unique thing about the NRL is the most popular players are pretty much all State of Origin players, so they are able to market across the entire fanbase (well majority of the fanbase support either NSW or QLD) and there will always be some players in form who they can rely on to give a good push.

Within rugby, the Wallabies have been crap for a long time. I am sure rugby australia are concious that trying to build a marketing campaign around a bunch of players who have been mediore for quite a while isn't exactly a receipe for success. Then of course you have guys like Nela who got some decent airtime, then got injured, lost interest and now is only one fast food bender away from losing his Wallabies spot.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Any insight into this? Is it because we don't have prominent players for marketing? Or are RA not wanting to spend money on it?
I posted it to the Reds thread - they put out a video celebrating Lynagh's re-signing. 1 minute of the least exciting highlights I've ever seen.

Is that because there are no good highlights from his season, or the media team don't know what rugby highlights look like? (hint - it's not knocking over a penalty from the 15m line)

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I don’t get the attitude of wanting to play club footy instead of playing Super Rugby

Some of the rebels players from Brisbane were being billoted during the week in Melbourne with rebels families whilst still living in Brisbane.

asking someone to relocate to Sydney when you live in Brisbane - it’s a big ask for them when they signed a contract with the rebels knowing they’d still be able to enjoy everything QLD has to offer.

club rugby… and wait for a opportunity at the reds or overseas… the alternative option is the Waratahs

Reactions: dru

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Some of the rebels players from Brisbane were being billoted during the week in Melbourne with rebels families whilst still living in Brisbane.

asking someone to relocate to Sydney when you live in Brisbane - it’s a big ask for them when they signed a contract with the rebels knowing they’d still be able to enjoy everything QLD has to offer.

club rugby… and wait for a opportunity at the reds or overseas… the alternative option is the Waratahs
Moving from Brisbane to Sydney is too big an ask, but moving to France or Japan isn’t?

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Sydney is one of the most expensive places on the planet to call home.

Stay in Brisbane and be with your family/support network