• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
RA's debt is well documented, so I'm not sure why there's any surprised remarks.

The 2023 financial report had RA's debt at $89m (including $50m drawdown from the $80m PE loan) - if $60m is now being thrown around, we're on the up baby!
I knew they were losing money etc, LC , just didn't think they were actually in debt by that much. As we all know losses can be write offs etc, so don't always expect a debt of that much is all. And admit I hadn't read financial report anyway.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
NZRU declared $200m in total liabilities in 2022.

This doesn't mean anything unless you also read the other side of the balance sheet.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Don't know the answer to this if anyone does would appreciate the answer.

March I think last year 9/Stan extended the media deal until the end of 2025.

It's I think 33 million per year.

What I don't know is does that deal also cover the BL tour broadcasts.

I assume also but am unaware of any details pertaining to the sale back to Europe of the tour and how much if any the BL would get of that revenue.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
For what it's worth, it's reported that the BL tour should clear the debt with the WC creating a war chest for investment.

How true this is I have no idea, but it sounds good.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I mean, I don't speak Spanish so can't comment on the context, but I wouldn't think Waugh would be speaking in USD. So unless Pichot's done the conversion, if he's saying 'Waugh told me $60m', you'd assume it's AUD.
Why? If the chatting is between Aussies I'd assume it's Aussie dollars. But if you talk to a foreigner maybe you talk in American dollars cause not everyone knows how much is the Aussie dollar

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't know the answer to this if anyone does would appreciate the answer.

March I think last year 9/Stan extended the media deal until the end of 2025.

It's I think 33 million per year.

What I don't know is does that deal also cover the BL tour broadcasts.

I assume also but am unaware of any details pertaining to the sale back to Europe of the tour and how much if any the BL would get of that revenue.
There is a JV set up between RA and the Lions organisation.

They share all commercial and government revenue, ticket revenue and worlwide broadcast revenue

This is said to be at least $100 million from the tour.

Last edited:

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Therr is a JV set up between RA and the Lions organisation.

They share all commercial and government revenue, ticket revenue and worlwide broadcast revenue

This is said to be at least $100 million from the tour.
So that would be 50 million each less expenses.

More if it goes above the 100.

Thanks

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
So that would be 50 million each less expenses.

More if it goes above the 100.

Thanks

RA stands to be an ever bigger winner than the publicans. As part of a new joint-venture organisational structure – which means the Lions and the host nation share all commercial and government revenue, ticket revenue and broadcast revenue – RA is set to pocket more than $100 million from the tour. That’s up from about $40 million for the 2013 Lions tour.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
It would be strange that Pichot talked in Aussie dollars in a Spanish podcast for Spanish spoken
That’s why I said “unless Pichot has done the conversion” - but also it really wouldn’t be strange if he’s just reporting what Waugh told him.

It would be no different to saying “the CEO of the London Wasps told me they were in 100m pounds of debt”. It’s clear that the number is substantial, regardless of a relevant currency conversion.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Cheese, probably depends on who is sayin g it. If it is, say, Pichot talking to the English press, then definitely UK pounds. But if it is, say, Waugh talking to the Aussie press, then he would most likely do the conversion to Aussie dollars.

I'm with Marce in this little discussion.

Reactions: dru

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
That’s why I said “unless Pichot has done the conversion” - but also it really wouldn’t be strange if he’s just reporting what Waugh told him.

It would be no different to saying “the CEO of the London Wasps told me they were in 100m pounds of debt”. It’s clear that the number is substantial, regardless of a relevant currency conversion.
But you have to know that the American dollar is the strongest currency in the world and the pound is also strong. Canadian, Kiwi or Aussie dollar aren't common outside their markets. Same por the Argentinian currency

As some users said that the RA debt is AU$ 89m, Pichot is right cause the conversion is US 60m

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Adam, it didn't start out as a debate. Marce simply referenced an announcement or article quoting Pichot and asked if anyone knew if the debt was $60m Aus or 60m pounds.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Adam, it didn't start out as a debate. Marce simply referenced an announcement or article quoting Pichot and asked if anyone knew if the debt was $60m Aus or 60m pounds.
Sure, that was 10 posts ago on the subject.. just simply stating RA's finances are made public through published annual reports...

Unlike some other unions in this country who don’t publish them and warrant speculation on debt..

Last edited:

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
As Adam says, it's probably not something worth lingering on. Like I noted before, I don't have the context and haven't heard the conversation as I don't speak Spanish.

If Pichot has done the conversion and is speaking in USD, it's not really a scoop or inside information - which is how it sounds like it was said ("Waugh told me...") - but information publicly available for several months. If he's speaking in AUD, it is new info and would seem like RA have possibly cleared ~$30m of debt in 12mo - which is a bit of a scoop.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
But you have to know that the American dollar is the strongest currency in the world and the pound is also strong. Canadian, Kiwi or Aussie dollar aren't common outside their markets. Same por the Argentinian currency

As some users said that the RA debt is AU$ 89m, Pichot is right cause the conversion is US 60m
All three of those currencies are very common outside their markets.

What are the most traded currencies in the world?​

1. US dollar (USD)
  2. Euro (EUR)
  3. Japanese yen (JPY)
  4. Pound sterling (GBP)
  5. Australian dollar (AUD)
  6. Canadian dollar (CAD)
  7. Swiss franc (CHF)
  8. Chinese renminbi (CNH)
  9. Hong Kong dollar (HKD)
  10. New Zealand dollar (NZD)