• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia Vs Argentina, September 13, Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Conversation with ARU and Mother Earth

Hello Mother Earth are you there
Yes ARU, what is it

Just letting you know that the Wallabies are playing at the Gold Coast on Saturday, you should make it rain like you have our other three home games

Thanks ARU, will do

Did I miss one completely?

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Conversation with ARU and Mother Earth

Hello Mother Earth are you there
Yes ARU, what is it

Just letting you know that the Wallabies are playing at the Gold Coast on Saturday, you should make it rain like you have our other three home games

Thanks ARU, will do

BoM says chance of showers throughout the day, with the possibility of a thunderstorm later, 80% chance of receiving 1-5 mls of rain. Temps: 14c min., 23c max. Not much to worry about in that forecast!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The best players from any era would still excel in the modern game if they had access to the same professionalism, coaching, training etc. that modern players have.

The game has changed but it hasn't changed that much. The same skills are still requirements to play well.

Have to agree with this.

Genetics, advances in training techniques etc cannot substitute heart, hard work, desire and a burning competitive edge. So many of the greats from yester-year would still be great no matter what era they were in simply because they wanted it more than everyone els and put in the hard yards to make it happen.

Michael Jordan would be Michael Jordan no matter what era he played in.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What's your point? Put someone who can squat 200kg and bench over 100kg with years of Prop experience and they'll leave you a teary mess.

Fucking hell lads, step back! We are in the presence of genius.

The experience might help. But everyone has weak points and they can be exploited.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
What about the other way, I wonder how Palu would've played in the 90's. Or Quade Cooper in the 80's. They'd tear it up, but as numerous people have mentioned it'd be down to their fitness and strength conditioning more than base skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
if you saw the piece on Rugby HQ last night on Stan Pilecki, they had some footage of them packing down against the All Blacks..basically just wandered into position, leant over and packed in! Point being, using Stan as an example, I don't think he would have been a lesser player if he had to undergo the same rigorous process that current front rowers do as he would have had the same training to get to that point..and he wouldn't have stubbed his smoke out just before they ran on in today's world!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
if you saw the piece on Rugby HQ last night on Stan Pilecki, they had some footage of them packing down against the All Blacks..basically just wandered into position, leant over and packed in! Point being, using Stan as an example, I don't think he would have been a lesser player if he had to undergo the same rigorous process that current front rowers do as he would have had the same training to get to that point..and he wouldn't have stubbed his smoke out just before they ran on in today's world!

Stan would have had to stop smoking

P

Pjmil

I dunno about that his ball running was average. Wasn't Eales a center in his school boy days? I think it would of been the coaches saying what the fuck are you doing out in the backs, get back in the F'en rucks and clean somebodies!!!

Ahhh, and the myths keep racking up.

Hang on, so you can say something everyone else here disagrees with, and everyone else has the burden of proof?

You have the counter assertion to conventional wisdom, so you have the burden of proof.

We await your hours of footage proving that Eales was indeed useless around the field with baited breath.

In the meantime, we will resume discussing the Rugby Championship game on this weekend that has the Wallabies vs the Pumas.

edit: PS good luck finding footage of Reds games online from the late 90s / early 2000s, I have tried.

Plenty of Wallaby games on the net. Let me know which years you think he was best in and I'll go have a look.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ahhh, and the myths keep racking up.

Plenty of Wallaby games on the net. Let me know which years you think he was best in and I'll go have a look.

If you're going to spout such a controversial opinion that is at odds with the wider rugby community, both experts and casual viewers alike, then the onus is on you to support that claim with evidence............ not the other way around.

Alternatively, troll somewhere else?

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting, no provincial captain is starting tomorrow night (though there is 3 on the bench).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see this game as a clear "banana skin" the Argies have been playing combative, forward dominated rugby.

I see that as the type of stuff we can struggle on.

We have struggled with the stuff between our ears in the Rugby Championship, we better be on our game or ............

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The RG scrum is very good.

On this aspect of the game I think that they have the wood over the Wallabies.

P

Pjmil

If you're going to spout such a controversial opinion that is at odds with the wider rugby community, both experts and casual viewers alike, then the onus is on you to support that claim with evidence.... not the other way around.

Alternatively, troll somewhere else?

And I said would champ, just let me know the years so I don't waste my time looking at one period and have people say he got better after that or he was better before.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Have to agree with this.

Genetics, advances in training techniques etc cannot substitute heart, hard work, desire and a burning competitive edge. So many of the greats from yester-year would still be great no matter what era they were in simply because they wanted it more than everyone els and put in the hard yards to make it happen.

Michael Jordan would be Michael Jordan no matter what era he played in.

Of course he would be the same bloke

Whether he would be as dominant is another question. As said earlier you cannot compare players from different eras.

You have to judge players within their own era and against players in THAT era.

Thats why stats are the only way to objectively rate a bloke (in comparison to other players)

Status
Not open for further replies.