• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia Vs Argentina, September 13, Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pjmil

Dan Vickerman

Yeah Vickerman was good, we need to import more saffas. They have the genes for size, width, and aggro.

C'mon. That can not be a serious thought? Eales useless in the field? He was one of the finest athletes to play for Australia. His work around the field basically redefining lock play.

Maybe useless was a strong word though there's an aura about Eales that no one dares to question. A great player for his time though players are far exceeding him today.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You obviously missed the squad changes for this week.....

1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Palmer
4. Douglas
5. Eales (c)
6. Kimlin
7. Pocock
8. Jones

Glad i saw that before putting my money on the Argies.
But even he admitted he was a dud at 8 in all fairness

Did he? It was against Samoa and someone else a little way down the rankings so its probably not indicative - mind you Nobody's idea of a dud performance of his may be markedly harsher than anyone else's assessment of their own efforts.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The S&C program the Tahs used this year produced results athletically.

The picture of Retallick makes sense - the ABs use their athleticism and technique to effect, because the whole team has it. Squatting 200kg doesn't mean shit if you don't know how to push at scrum time.

I scrummed against some gym queens who thought they were strong as an ox, until I showed them the truth. Maybe I couldn't bench 100kg, but a barbell isn't going to pin your chin on your chest like Pfitzy does when he pops your scrum cherry.

I don't understand this, squatting, dead-lifting and general core work would be vital for a prop.

Sure experience and technique would beat strength, but its the bloody wallabies they should have BOTH!

A player with 10 years scrummaging experience AND can squat 200kgs is going to be better then a player with 10 years experience and a poor squat.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah Vickerman was good, we need to import more saffas. They have the genes for size, width, and aggro.

Maybe useless was a strong word though there's an aura about Eales that no one dares to question. A great player for his time though players are far exceeding him today.

So you don't think there's any chance that if you normalised for modern training techniques that great players of yesteryear could be just as good now?

P

Pjmil

So you don't think there's any chance that if you normalised for modern training techniques that great players of yesteryear could be just as good now?

Some, not all. Modern sport has become more about the athlete than the player.

P

Pjmil

Mortlock definitely stayed on a couple of years too long and was little more than a crash ball runner when he was in. Horan was the real deal though.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Some, not all. Modern sport has become more about the athlete than the player.

What does that even mean? Could you please expand on this thinking? I get that athleticism is more important than ever (further, higher, faster and all that), but you can train that into people.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

you clearly never saw the covering tackle in the RWC final at Twickenham on Guscott that saved Australia's bacon, fantastic athletisism

P

Pjmil

What does that even mean? Could you please expand on this thinking? I get that athleticism is more important than ever (further, higher, faster and all that), but you can train that into people.

Genetics. That's why the AIS is going around Australia these days hand picking people for sports based on their physical attributes even though they've never played them.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Genetics. That's why the AIS is going around Australia these days hand picking people for sports based on their physical attributes even though they've never played them.

Ah the old nature versus nurture argument. There is some merit in that kind of identification programme, but even the sports scientists at the AIS would agree that it's not the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.