• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia Vs Argentina, September 13, Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Wasn't aware there's a definitive ranking of test players by position. My apologies.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well .. Lock drama's step up young fella

1397118272919.jpg-620x349.jpg

Now before everyone goes crazy I dont think he will even be close, but interesting question who is our next batch coming through, I only know Tom.. Skelton will be around for ages.. Any other young guns who are coming to save us ?
Coleman looks to have a future.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I think above all else Courtney Lawes is the most fucking terrifying player I have ever seen. Having to play against him is my literal definition of a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
As much as I may get howled down, I think that Timani would actually be a step down on Carter and Simmons, for workrate and laziness (Timani's technique at ruck time wasn't bad, just his application of it at every second ruck). How Timani is going in France should give you a clue, anyway.

T

Train Without a Station

Timani was selected for the same reasons as Skelton with the same limitations (actually more as he has hands like feet at time), but was much less effective. One is in his 2nd year in a professional environment. The other one had about 5 years over 3 separate teams to develop.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
As much as I may get howled down, I think that Timani would actually be a step down on Carter and Simmons, for workrate and laziness (Timani's technique at ruck time wasn't bad, just his application of it at every second ruck). How Timani is going in France should give you a clue, anyway.
Not howled down at all Timani was horrible.. towards the end they dragged out some stuff but Carter and Simmions are a step up..

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
You know who would be handy right about now. Peter Kimlin.

What for? to hold tackle bags....

Handy player and I actually was a fan. It wasn't great that he left OZ so young, but I don't think he is the type of player you are after right now.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
The intensity is building here on the Gold Coast. Regular adds for the match on commercial radio, with offer of seats + free transport: Adults $44, Kids $25.
Double pass 'give-aways' on local station plus Super Radio Network's "Talkin' Sport" [through 2SM, Sydney], with Brett (Pappy) Papworth!
Local newspaper, the "Gold Coast Bulletin", has had regular articles.

After 'nil' segments on "Nine Gold Coast News" through the week leading up to the French test when the Wallabies were last staying on the GC, (at Sanctuary Cove), I got stuck into Nine News in an email.
I am happy to report that there have been segments on the Wallabies in Nine's sport reports on Monday and Tuesday nights, and again tonight!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
As Bakkies once said: you need an athlete and a rock shifter in the second row. The athlete to dominate in the lineout and be a ball running/support option in the loose and the rock shifter to clean out at the breakdown and generally just smash blokes.

This is the problem. We are playing effectively with 2 LH type second rowers. Carter has potential to be a wrecking ball but he needs to be stronger and angrier.
Skelton needs to improve his fitness and set piece technique and he will fit the bill as well. Right now we have Horwill who can play both roles reasonably well. Does this make him a good bench option or should he be starting with maybe Carter or Skelton on the bench with instruction to play a certain way when they come into the game?
It puts a lot of pressure on our back row to do more of the hard yakka in tight with us not playing a true TH lock.

P

Pjmil

This is the problem. We are playing effectively with 2 LH type second rowers. Carter has potential to be a wrecking ball but he needs to be stronger and angrier.
Skelton needs to improve his fitness and set piece technique and he will fit the bill as well. Right now we have Horwill who can play both roles reasonably well. Does this make him a good bench option or should he be starting with maybe Carter or Skelton on the bench with instruction to play a certain way when they come into the game?
It puts a lot of pressure on our back row to do more of the hard yakka in tight with us not playing a true TH lock.

Australia has never really bought into the TH/LH lock and have mostly played only LH type locks over the years.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Australia has never really bought into the TH/LH lock and have mostly played only LH type locks over the years.

Not exactly. When Eales played, we had our share of rock shifters to partner him: McCall, Giffin, Harrison and Morgan to name a few. Even further back, one of our best ever pairings was Steve Cutler and Steve Williams. Cutler being the giraffe and Williams the enforcer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The S&C program the Tahs used this year produced results athletically.

The picture of Retallick makes sense - the ABs use their athleticism and technique to effect, because the whole team has it. Squatting 200kg doesn't mean shit if you don't know how to push at scrum time.

I scrummed against some gym queens who thought they were strong as an ox, until I showed them the truth. Maybe I couldn't bench 100kg, but a barbell isn't going to pin your chin on your chest like Pfitzy does when he pops your scrum cherry.

P

Pjmil

Not exactly. When Eales played, we had our share of rock shifters to partner him: McCall, Giffin, Harrison and Morgan to name a few. Even further back, one of our best ever pairings was Steve Cutler and Steve Williams. Cutler being the giraffe and Williams the enforcer.

The only recent guys you have there are Giffin and Harrison and they're hardly rock shifters and Eales packed down at TH throughout his career. You can't put the modern day role of the lock on guys 20 years ago, it's changed.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The only recent guys you have there are Giffin and Harrison and they're hardly rock shifters and Eales packed down at TH throughout his career. You can't put the modern day role of the lock on guys 20 years ago, it's changed.

You said "over the years" and I gave you some examples. All of those blokes played a tight game, in contrast to the athleticism of Eales.

P

Pjmil

The S&C program the Tahs used this year produced results athletically.

The picture of Retallick makes sense - the ABs use their athleticism and technique to effect, because the whole team has it. Squatting 200kg doesn't mean shit if you don't know how to push at scrum time.

I scrummed against some gym queens who thought they were strong as an ox, until I showed them the truth. Maybe I couldn't bench 100kg, but a barbell isn't going to pin your chin on your chest like Pfitzy does when he pops your scrum cherry.

What's your point? Put someone who can squat 200kg and bench over 100kg with years of Prop experience and they'll leave you a teary mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.