• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I dare say you could count on one hand the number of times AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has offloaded in contact..in 100 tests.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Congratulations to Australia by the way!

I think Hooper had a great game and so did Kuridrani. I think Hooper relishes the honour of captaining the national side so kudos to Ewen on that.

As for the scrums, I don't know what to make of it really. I'm not happy from a Bok point of view.

Folau is such a threat with ball in hand and under the high ball, I think he'll be fine at 15 with due time and perhaps in the meanwhile his back division can lend him some assistance when he finds himself bombarded with kicks that he has to field and clear near the touchline.

Overall while we made some mistakes with our kicking today I'm glad we made an effort to improve this aspect of our game and for large periods of the game we actually did quite well to keep the Wallabies away from our danger zone.

EDIT: I thought Pienaar went well apart from one botched kick. He made some sniping runs too which seemed to surprise even his own in that he was turned over. His kicks and speed were better than I've seen it in a while.

Jannie is not past it he merely needs a lengthy 3-4 months sabbatical.

Probably the worst part of the game is that I could personally sense from early that our fate may be in losing the game in the final minutes. It came down to that and whatever the reasons doesn't really matter.

Fact is our character was not enough this time.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought Phipps really stepped his game up in the last 20, and was one of the keys to the fightback. It was telling that he wasn't subbed for White at any point. First 60 minutes were patchy though.

I reckon the two guys that have flown under the radar for bad performances are Scott Fardy and Matt To'omua. Both well off what they produced last season. Not making the same impact with ball in hand, and making more uncharacteristic errors (MT running out of the line to set up the Boks try springs to mind).

Simmons has to go, surely. Lineout was a bit of a shambles, and we never challenged their ball.

Kuridrani man of the match for mine, very solid performance. Well done to Pek Cowan as well, really surprised me with his effort, didn't think he was up to it.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
And fuck me if Clancy didn't practically hand us the game with his call on Habana. What a shocker. The AR even gave him a chance to redeem himself, and he still fucked it up. What a clown.
I'd take it if I were you. We had luck against Wales in test #2 and arguably against Argentina as well. The team can only play to the rules as adjudicated by the referee on the day.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I couldn't, but you might have more fingers than me.

I bet you could. Successful offloads in contact are fairly rare anyway, but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s bread and butter when making contact is to drag the contact 5 metres upfield and hit the deck. Not negative play, but he's never been one to put his winger in any kind of space.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Lot's of head scratching going on here, so did we really snatch victory from the jaws of defeat with a brilliant team try to finish?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd take it if I were you. We had luck against Wales in test #2 and arguably against Argentina as well. The team can only play to the rules as adjudicated by the referee on the day.

Ultimately it is just the way the cookie crumbles, we will surely be on the other end of it in the near future. But still it was a shocker, there's no two ways about it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is more predictable then Kuridrani. I think the opposition worked out his step then fend long ago.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a safer option as he won't put a foot wrong but Kuridrani is opening up defences, offloading, and making big hits.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I bet you could. Successful offloads in contact are fairly rare anyway, but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s bread and butter when making contact is to drag the contact 5 metres upfield and hit the deck. Not negative play, but he's never been one to put his winger in any kind of space.
Since we have a rule about endlessly banging on with the same point, I'm just going to disagree that he's a "tradesman" and not bother continuing this discussion. Enjoy yourself.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
To give him credit, it wasn't as bad as the "knock on" call that denied the Argies a try against the All Blacks......

That's a career killer.

Yeah I know, that was a fucking joke as well. At least you could put that down to a split-second call in the heat of the moment. Clancy got two chances and fucked up both of them.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Lot's of head scratching going on here, so did we really snatch victory from the jaws of defeat with a brilliant team try to finish?
Hehehe, indeed you did!

I'd be stoked if I were a Wallaby fan. You guys deserved the victory.

EDIT: Perhaps "stoked" is taking it a bit far, but pleased at least.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I reckon the two guys that have flown under the radar for bad performances are Scott Fardy and Matt To'omua. Both well off what they produced last season. Not making the same impact with ball in hand, and making more uncharacteristic errors (MT running out of the line to set up the Boks try springs to mind).

Fuck Baa baa, being a bit harsh on matty T there I think. He did set up our first try and has done what we have asked of him since the beginning and played a good, straight running but also playmaking inside centre. Nothing flashy but solid nonetheless. I am still happy with his play and, contrary to you, think his contribution has been underrated this year.

Bu to each his own!

All I give care about is that we fucking won, and it was a good (not great) win at that! Go the wobs, bring on the argies.

Status
Not open for further replies.