• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Crappy loss for us but I'm quietly optimistic that we're on the brink of playing out of our skins soon just to give a big, customary, Bok "fuck you" to all their doubters.

Here's hoping I'm right.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'd Like to see the stats, but I'd claim he was the Wob's number 1 penalty generator tonight.

The one were he came in from the side. I just lost my shit. like how dumb can a player be inside there 40 against Steyn.

If it's the same incident I'm thinking of, Fardy made the legitimate and very effective tackle from behind the runner and Simmons was the one penalised for coming in from the side.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Did you miss the many that went above the receiver's head or those that went along the ground, and there were quite a few.

He still got the attack moving forward for the first time in a few games. There were plenty of pass and catch errors on the night from players on both sides. I was a short distance from the ground and the conditions were both inconsistent and quite tough for attacking rugby.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I've been a fan of White on the back of his long kicking game (which they have not exploited this year which is odd since it is his best attribute) but I thought Phipps was slightly superior tonight.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
AACs a great servant to the game but not really in either Speight's or Kuridrani's class right now.
Wow. What bollocks.

Let's keep in mind that we actually HAD, and USED, the ball. So TK benefited directly from a situation that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could have benefited from.

People are so ready to write off some players without actually looking at the overall performance.

We won
The decision making could improve
The execution could also improve
The backing got it mostly right
The forward now need adjusting

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Did you miss the many that went above the receiver's head or those that went along the ground, and there were quite a few.
And you miss all the ones that went fast and to hand. If you're not convinced he's moving the ball faster, I'm not convinced you actually watch the game. As I said above, watch where Foley et al were taking the ball in attack as compared to last week. In relation to the advantage line. Fast recycles, flatter balls puts way more pressure on the defence, as it cannot re-align and cover little gaps. Yeah, the accuracy can be better, and the decision about who to pass to is not always so easy as it is if you stand over it for 10s hatching an egg. We've seen how that style works for the Wallabies too much in the past. It was wet, I believe, so the handling error count overall was worse too.
Let's face it, both White and Phipps have been making mistakes. In different ways.
To be honest, our bigger problem was our very poor out of hand kicking, and at times ropey defence, although we were not punished as much as we would have been by the ABs.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

that is true, but certainly not worse then White. Phipps had many in front of the man that straight away got our back-line firing. White was liabilty the previous 2 Tests and I don't think the same can be said about Phipps, he was more an asset then a liability

Unfortunately White without his boot, isn't much at all. .

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We got done again in the tight.
Simmons was just woeful giving away some costly penalties and not carrying his core set piece duties well. Carter was anonymous. Palu was once again unable to contribute much in a fast paced game.
Slipper is class but is in danger of being over used. Cowan did very well when he came into the game but having Sio back (as a LH) will be good.
Hanson played admirably but we miss TPN and Moore.
I thought Fardy was one of our best. He was everywhere. Hooper was his usual industrious self.
Horwill should come in to the side in place of Simmons. He can run the line out and he just offers so much more as far as carrying the ball and getting through the grunt work at the breakdown. I would start Skelton against the Pumas as well with Carter on the bench.
Link wants to play a fast paced multi phase game with a solid set piece and interplay between backs and forwards. Palu is not the right 8 for that and I have my doubts about Simmons and Carter as well.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Wow. What bollocks.

Let's keep in mind that we actually HAD, and USED, the ball. So TK benefited directly from a situation that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could have benefited from.

People are so ready to write off some players without actually looking at the overall performance.

We won
The decision making could improve
The execution could also improve
The backing got it mostly right
The forward now need adjusting

Not complete bullocks. Kuridrani came off the bench against the All Blacks and immediatly made a positive impact. Most of time I forgot AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was even playing the first 2 Tests.

Then Kuridrani backs it up by making a great performance tonight. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) a decent one but not outstanding.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) not living up to his super rugby form on the the Test arena. Kuridrani is doing the opposite.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We got done again in the tight.
Simmons was just woeful giving away some costly penalties and not carrying his core set piece duties well. Carter was anonymous. Palu was once again unable to contribute much in a fast paced game.
Slipper is class but is in danger of being over used. Cowan did very well when he came into the game but having Sio back (as a LH) will be good.
Hanson played admirably but we miss TPN and Moore.
I thought Fardy was one of our best. He was everywhere. Hooper was his usual industrious self.
Horwill should come in to the side in place of Simmons. He can run the line out and he just offers so much more as far as carrying the ball and getting through the grunt work at the breakdown. I would start Skelton against the Pumas as well with Carter on the bench.
Link wants to play a fast paced multi phase game with a solid set piece and interplay between backs and forwards. Palu is not the right 8 for that and I have my doubts about Simmons and Carter as well.
Agree with all these. Particularly thought Hanson and Cowan did pretty well.
Palu off the boil, but although Higgers looked good when he came on, look where he was played, and translate that to earlier in the game against Louw and Vermuelen - that would have been risky! That's where it gets hard comparing a starter to an impact player - it isn't apples for apples.
That said, I'd like to see what Higginbotham can bring starting soon.

Reactions: BDA

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I might get banned for this but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a bit of a tradesman. Kuridrani is a threat to break a game at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) just isn't.

I'd play him at fullback (with Folau on the wing), wing or bench.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
He still got the attack moving forward for the first time in a few games. There were plenty of pass and catch errors on the night from players on both sides. I was a short distance from the ground and the conditions were both inconsistent and quite tough for attacking rugby.

I would think the backline going forward is more a factor of where and how the No 10 plays. If Foley plays flatter than Beale, as he does, then the halfback, whomever it is, must pass the ball flatter. And as far as conditions go, were they any worse tonight than at Eden Park?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I might get banned for this but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a bit of a tradesman. Kuridrani is a threat to break a game at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) just isn't.

I'd play him at fullback (with Folau on the wing), wing or bench.
You won't get banned, but you will get taken, shall we say, not seriously.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
You won't get banned, but you will get taken, shall we say, not seriously.

I don't know why. Kuridrani can run in space, run up the guts and offload.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 's move is the left-hand palm off then die with the ball, mostly.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
And you miss all the ones that went fast and to hand. If you're not convinced he's moving the ball faster, I'm not convinced you actually watch the game. As I said above, watch where Foley et al were taking the ball in attack as compared to last week. In relation to the advantage line. Fast recycles, flatter balls puts way more pressure on the defence, as it cannot re-align and cover little gaps. Yeah, the accuracy can be better, and the decision about who to pass to is not always so easy as it is if you stand over it for 10s hatching an egg. We've seen how that style works for the Wallabies too much in the past. It was wet, I believe, so the handling error count overall was worse too.
Let's face it, both White and Phipps have been making mistakes. In different ways.
To be honest, our bigger problem was our very poor out of hand kicking, and at times ropey defence, although we were not punished as much as we would have been by the ABs.

I agree completely with this statement, but I believe the more important factor is where and how the No 10 plays. Foley plays much flatter than Beale and consequently any halfback will be passing flatter to him. All in all, I think Phipps contributed to a better backline display tonight but just not to the extent that some are attributing to him. The combination of Phipps/Foley is way better than White/Beale and it is the combination that is most important. I don't think the conditions tonight were any worse than at Eden Park but there was little excuse offered for the poor handling there.

Status
Not open for further replies.