• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aussie Player Exodus

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Neither of them made a 53 man roster. They were kept outside that as practice squad members.
Incorrect sir.

Jarryd Hayne had a role with ther 49ers. Didn’t play any meaningful minutes but he did get regular season snaps

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah Mailata was probably too big and would have lacked the ability to maintain leg speed for an entire NRL game. They got him at the right age to let him develop and train him in technique. He probably could have played Rugby as an 8 but would have needed his interest.

Was actually reading about how the PI % is climbing quickly across the NFL and College football. I’d expect even more scouts to be travelling down here and through the pacific looking for monsters. Hawaii and Utah got them onto it.
I’m pretty sure that America Samoa’s biggest contribution to the US is enlisted defence personnel and gridiron players

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Not true Marge, one of the benefits of rugby is that it doesn’t have to be that brutal (and you don’t have to be that fit). Whereas league is just hard/ tough work.

There will always be demand for amateur senior rugby.
Yeah, I know the quote that rugby is a game for all the shapes and sizes but Shute Shield level is the competition before Super Rugby, so the standard should be almost like NPC. Cause if your 3 Tahs hookers are injured you look at over there. I mean, in a perfect world.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Incorrect sir.

Jarryd Hayne had a role with ther 49ers. Didn’t play any meaningful minutes but he did get regular season snaps

Is he the RA saviour? The inside centre the Wallabies are looking for? Lol

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
The goal of the international player pathway is to create headlines in different countries and different sport fanbases. The players don't count against the salary cap and don't count against roster numbers and are paid by the NFL so it's win/win for all involved

The NFL combine makes NFL standards pretty clear. Rees-Zammut's 40 time wasn't even top 20

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
He's 6'8 and 166kgs as a mobile offensive tackle. Petaia is an injury prone below average athlete by NFL standards
The thing is, IPP recruits aren't taking up a normal roster spot. The NFL is giving teams permission to take them on with no downside.

If you're an NFL team, you're losing out if you're not taking a flyer on someone like Petaia

Sure you'd prefer a Jordan Mailata to a Petaia but there's not a lot of people with Jordan Mailata's measurables running around.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Interestingly there is another Aussie who has signed as an undrafted free agent with Denver at Tight End from Utah who was an Aus Schoolboy Winger in 2017 out of Scots.

Thomas Yassmin. big bugger at 6'4, 114kg. Did a 40 time at 4.5 and LRZ who is 6'2 and 90kg did a 4.43... I'd back Petaia to do better than LRZ on speed with some added size.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yassmin has actually played college football so has a better chance of actually learning the game in time. As he went to college there I don't think he is part of the IPP.

Another Aussie that is part of the IPP is Jotham Russell who signed with the Patriots.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
The goal of the international player pathway is to create headlines in different countries and different sport fanbases. The players don't count against the salary cap and don't count against roster numbers and are paid by the NFL so it's win/win for all involved

The NFL combine makes NFL standards pretty clear. Rees-Zammut's 40 time wasn't even top 20

The success of the IPP pathway in players progressing to the NFL is the reason why they're expanding it further, the fact that a respectable number from the IPP have made it through to squads suggests NFL recruiters know the standards they're looking for better than rugby fans from Australia, they're not just handing out contracts for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
The success of the IPP pathway in players progressing to the NFL is the reason why they're expanding it further, the fact that a respectable number from the IPP have made it through to squads suggests NFL recruiters know the standards they're looking for better than rugby fans from Australia, they're not just handing out contracts for the sake of it.
There aren't any skill position players that have actually succeeded through this, so there is no evidence of Petaia being any different than the rest. The IPP is a marketing tool for the NFL, nothing more. And it's obviously succeeding

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Re. the NRL experiment, Jordan Mailata and a slew of AFL trained punters are the only Aussie success stories afaik. Will be interesting to see if LRZ can make a fist of it but he's competing with incredible athletes who've been playing the game since childhood. Lots to first unlearn then re-learn!

And as was pointed out to me recently, Jarrod Payne was a better proposition than Jordan Petaia and he wasn't able to crack it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Adam Gotsis is an Australian defensive end for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He has certainly had plenty of success. He went through the US college system though.