• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aussie Baa Baa's Vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Id say he has a distinctly different playing style to Digby..

However of his key attributes similar to Digby is his low centre of gravity and strength in contact, which flows over to his defensive ability.
Digby's explosiveness is unmatched in Australian backs though.
I'd say they're chalk and cheese, apart from being Queenslanders. And Pacific Island in origin. Tapuai will make a very good centre for Aus - hard straight runner with good eye for a gap (and the turn of pace to get through it), very good offloading ability and good front-on defence. Digby will always be a winger in essence. Although he has played 13, he really does not fit the structured mould of that position (good defender but not, for me, an organising defender) but is far more dangerous as a winger with a roving commission.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
ok - so most of you guys think that performance was acceptable? because i found it that absolute opposite.

Yeh we know, you stated it about 10 times in the past 2 pages.

It really wasn't that bad for a side thrown together a week ago. Barnes, Mitchell, Taps, Horne and Slipper all played well.

Sharpe was very quiet.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Let's not forget the Canadians are no mugs, and played very well. Defended their line for extended periods without cracking, hardly the easybeat minnow some (like myself) were expecting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It also needs to be remembered that the Canadians would have been in camp together for a while and training as a team.

They might be a rugby minnow, but they're the ones playing as a team at the RWC in two weeks time. You'd expect them to look like a cohesive unit even if on paper, the Australian Barbarians team is significantly more talented.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can someone post the Barbarians team just to save time going back through the thread reading unrelated opinions on who 'should have been' playing?

Watched the game last night without commentary and would love to know who #8 and #20 were.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No. 8 was Pat McCutcheon. Number 20 was Ben Lucas from memory.

1. Pek Cowan
2. TPN
3. Slipper
4/5 Timani, Sharpe
6. Dennis
7. Hodgson
8. McCutcheon
9. Phipps
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. Tapuai
13. Horne
14. Davies
15. Turner

16. Hanson (I think)
17. Beau Robinson
18. Mumm
19. Greg Holmes
20. Ben Lucas
21. Morahan
22. Bernard Foley

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
15. Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs)
14. Rod Davies (Queensland Reds)
13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Ben Tapuai (Queensland Reds)
11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
10. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
9. Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels)
8. Pat McCutcheon (NSW Waratahs)
7. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
6. Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force, captain)
4. Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs)
3. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
1. Pekahou Cowan (Western Force)

Run on Reserves:

16. James Hanson (Queensland Reds)
17. Greg Holmes (Queensland Reds)
18. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
19. Beau Robinson (Queensland Reds)
20. Ben Lucas (Queensland Reds)
21. Luke Morahan (Queensland Reds)
22. Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs)

W

What2040

IMO The REV is way off base.

Of the RWC blokes
Sharpie - OK - has to be with Horwill - tonight will tell
Slipper - very good after 8-10 weeks out - played about 70 minutes - will put pressure on Kepu and Ben A
TPN - again hasn't played for several weeks - no big damaging runs but no injuries either - OK - Moore will be looking over shoulder
Mitchell - MOM - very good - will force his way back into main team quickly
Barnes - very good as well - has to be outside Cooper - solid, reliable

Special mention for Ben Taps - his offloading ability was exceptional - if injuries occur deserves the big telephone call.

Canada played well - great to see our game, the exponents of which are improving.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
I thought of those in the RWC squad, Nick Phipps and Rob Horne looked like they are very lucky to be in the squad looking at their performance against a minnow team. We looked better when Lucas replaced Phipps and Horne had a pretty minimal impact on the game, except for opening up that massive hole in defense to let Canada through for a try.

Great to see Schmoo looking very dangerous so soon after coming back from injury. That is a massive boost to our World Cup hopes. Will be interesting to see how Robbie fits him into the starting line-up. JOC (James O'Connor) to the bench or Diggers to 13??

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
JOC (James O'Connor) to the bench if Schmoo is keeps playing like that, and improving to how he was during the Super season. As good as O'Connor is, he isn't in the top 2 wingers in the country.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
You could just go out and buy a springboks kit... which is essentially what it was! Odd choice of colours for mine. Wasn't that impressed.

I love that kit. Really classy, and it looks like a proper rugby jersey.

Is it the same jersey the barbarian team who play pre season provincial games wear?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Was good to see Taps play such a top game. His old Oz Schools midfield partner Horne usually gets those rushing defensive things right but didn't on that occasion.

These two will be in the midfield mix for the Wobs after the RWC but let's not get too excited about one top game or one poor game from these players, but look forward to their body of work next year.

It was a far cry from the performance against Canada this time from 9 years ago IIRR when Oz A put about 90 points on Canada, who had few pro players then, or the other night. Oz A, in effect, were poor against Samoa also. Our depth is not as good as we think it is. Sure some players weren't available and some were coming back from injury - but there is not a year that this isn't the case.

Let's hope that the expanded Super competition (once all the foreigners leave Melbourne), and Oz teams playing each other home and away, year after year, will act as a true domestic competition and that the rivalry will somehow throw up more valid Wallaby candidates than we had before.

Right now I see more candidates for 2nd or 3rd string than 10 years ago (more width), but not more pushing for the starting spot (more depth).

J

JJ

I can't believe the hype about Horne being back. He was solid but not great and was outclassed by Van der Merwe. Won't offer as much sting in Defense as either AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Faainga and am still to be convinced of his attacking prowess.

I wish AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could defend like he did last night at 13 :( He made Guildford his bitch!

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Didn't see any footage of the game but did Drew Mitchell look as quick & strong as he was before the leg injury, did he go into contact much?

Status
Not open for further replies.