• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Baa Baa's Vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Barnes, Schmoo looked good, TPN OK, Horne scored a try but missed a few tackles. Looks like he is short of a few runs. Tapuai clear MOM - he will be a real star, I think.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Probably the best game I've seen taps play. Barnes, Shmoo, phibbs, slipper had decent games as well.

The baabaas didn't look very well drilled. Lots of poor execution at the breakdown, set piece and in general play.

Canada were actually pretty decent, could possibly get up over tonga and japan at the world cup.

R

Rev Spooner

For me it came down to the LACK OF PHYSICALITY that has been well documented of late. With our size and experience we should have smashed them at the contact. Instead,it was the other way around - well done to the Canadians but seroiusly, can any of us see the ABs 2nds or the Boks 2nds being dominated like that?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Dominated? We won 38-14 and their two tries were from a backline misread and a fluky double chip-and-chase.

Our forwards were pretty good, Dennis and Slipper were outstanding I thought.

R

Rev Spooner

i think you're being a bit harsh. first game together and quite a break for some since their last game. I thought Turner was average.

These guys have been in camp together for awhile now. they were particularly poor imo. The scrum was sold then poor, mediocre then poor, solid then pitiful. COME ON these guys have to do better than that!

R

Rev Spooner

Dominated? We won 38-14 and their two tries were from a backline misread and a fluky double chip-and-chase.

Our forwards were pretty good, Dennis and Slipper were outstanding I thought.

Put it into perspective - this is Canada - they made us look like Paraguay ... and this was a pretty good Australian team . As far as I'm concerned we should have dominated ALL aspects of the game.

D

DJC

These guys have been in camp together for awhile now. they were particularly poor imo. The scrum was sold then poor, mediocre then poor, solid then pitiful. COME ON these guys have to do better than that!

I agree with Barbarian, you're being a little harsh on the forwards. I was watching an intermittent feed but most of the scrums I saw the Aus BaBas ball was well presented and the Cannucks ball was under pressure. I agree there seemed to be a problem with Cowan and their tighthead but it improved. Dave Dennis went well, Timani kept going all games and our backs looked streets ahead of the Canadian's. As others have said, Ben Tapuai was MoM and Drew was as if he hadn't missed anytime out. Turner really doesn't do it for me.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Tapuai was white hot. Interesting situation with him now, he wasn't even the first choice 12 (behind giteau) and thus would have been nowhere near the world cup 30. Still, that one performance has probably put him well and truly in reckoning for higher honours at some point. Maybe the post world cup tour?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Barnes didn't set the world on fire in attack, and the backline look better balanced when Foley came on and Barnes went to 12, Taps to 13. Barnes and Taps a good defensive combo though.

T

tallboy

Been in camp for awhile? It was a bunch of guys coming back from injury and cast offs or guys who haven't played since Super 15. they went into camp on tues, trained wed, and captains run yesterday. Can't fault a lack of cohesion.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Barnes didn't set the world on fire in attack, and the backline look better balanced when Foley came on and Barnes went to 12, Taps to 13. Barnes and Taps a good defensive combo though.

I thought barnes was alright in attack. He still needs to find a bit of form, but he's starting to look like 2009 barnes again which is a good thing.

R

Rev Spooner

ok - so most of you guys think that performance was acceptable? because i found it that absolute opposite.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes and no. Aus teams seemingly never fire up against "minnows", and this was a thrown together team, to some extent. The value is more in looking at how individuals went who might be key for the Wallabies - Mitchell, Horne, Barnes, TPN, Sharpe. And apart from Horne, they were OK. Horne wasn't bad, but neither was he anything special. I'm happy to see Barnes, Mitchell, TPN put in good efforts to be honest. Tapuai did not surprise me - I was well impressed with him in the latter stages of S15, and he continued on from there. A real prospect.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Rapt to hear Taps played so well, I thought he was superb in the Super Rugby final. Mitchell being in form is very good news indeed. Going to be a lot to discuss come Sunday though I doubt the lineup will change much, at least in the xv.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Only 1 food outlet open in the stadium. Same for bar. Massive lines. Not a good start for the launch of "international rugby" on the Gold Coast.

Hope the on-field organization is a lot better.

Spot on Tangawizi... most in the crowd (in the general seating areas at least) had only one drink all night! Crowd controllers had to "split" queues to the only bar and food outlet to allow patrons to get to their seats and the toilets! Unlike Suncorp Stadium, staff serving drinks are also the cashiers....bloody awful planning. Now to the match...Mrs Doug and I enjoyed it. Plenty of hard hits from both sides. Berrick, Drew, Ben T, Lauchie, Rod, captain Sharpie and the pack played well, plenty of tries fom the backs, no player had a "horrible" game, and as stated elsewhere, they were thrown together a couple of days ago. Biggest cheer from the crowd was for replacement, Beau Robinson! I dont agree with Rev Spooner, and I have every reason to be confident of a good RWC for the Wallabies. I watched Robbie Deans and Jim Williams' interaction with the players as they mustered after the match, it seemed very positive.

D

daz

ok - so most of you guys think that performance was acceptable? because i found it that absolute opposite.

If this was a test match, I think we would all be on board with you, Rev.

To be honest, I could give a rats fart about the score or how the team played. For mine, it is all about getting some returning players some match time and seeing if they had any post-injury flare-ups. This game was always about the 9th September, not today.

I am just delighted that guys like Shmoo and Barnes have had solid returns, and may now be in a position to offer some firepower to the RWC squad. Both those guys would have a big confidence boost now and that is really important.

PS: Stay fit Beau and Taps. If a phone call is needed over the next 6-8 weeks, I'm guessing you two are now at the top of Deans' contact list...

Status
Not open for further replies.