• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aussie Baa Baa's Vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pete88

Spot on Daz, I've been pretty miffed about the minimal attention Deans has paid to those two blokes. Always next year, better for them not to be rushed, etc etc...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
ok - so most of you guys think that performance was acceptable? because i found it that absolute opposite.

It was an Australian Barbarians game, I think your expectations are way too high. As tallboy said it was a ragtag mob thrown together on Tuesday. In the end they won comfortably despite a lack of structure. The game was never in doubt and they scored some nice tries. That is all I ask, and they delivered. Some individuals played well, no-one really had a shocker.

It won't be a performance we talk about for years, but when was the last time you saw one of these teams play the house down?

W

waves

ok - so most of you guys think that performance was acceptable? because i found it that absolute opposite.

With 3 days training certainly not, very harsh call on them most of them havnt had that much game time at all:

TPN, Slipper, Mitchell have barely played Cowan and Timani have been named on the bench in Test Matches but still havn't got a crack also Barnes and Horne are coming back from injuries with only a month or in Hornes case a few weeks to adapt from club rugby to international rugby its a very big ask.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
It was an Australian Barbarians game, I think your expectations are way too high. As tallboy said it was a ragtag mob thrown together on Tuesday. In the end they won comfortably despite a lack of structure. The game was never in doubt and they scored some nice tries. That is all I ask, and they delivered. Some individuals played well, no-one really had a shocker.

It won't be a performance we talk about for years, but when was the last time you saw one of these teams play the house down?

The majority were from the 40 man Wallabies squad who have been together for over a month, and continue to be together as shadow players in the wider World Cup train on squad.

S

Skippy

Can anyone give me a website where I can purchase from overseas the Aussie Barbarians jersey?

The only place I've seen the Australian BaaBaa's jersey for sale is on the aru website. Think it is aru.com.au
Not sure if they still have them available.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The majority were from the 40 man Wallabies squad who have been together for over a month, and continue to be together as shadow players in the wider World Cup train on squad.

How many of those were on the sidelines for that time though? Slipper, TPN, Barnes, Mitchell, Horne. Tapuai and McCutcheon weren't even in the squad. That's half the team right there. Plus they rang the changes after 50.

And just because you are in a 40 man squad together doesn't mean you are going to combine like the Ella brothers. Basically all that means is they would be on top of the lineout calls.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
Pitiful performance from the Baa-Baas, out-muscled at the breakdown and the scrum. My hopes for a RWC just plummeted after another inept performance from our our 2nds. Seriously, is it possible for these guys to switch on or not?

how good is DTH
great show by canada. builds a lot of confidence for the cup coming up. i hope the french make the mistake of playing a 2nd string team.

D

daz

I was talking from an Aus perspective. Our backup side has never put forward a great performance. Munster anyone? Ospreys?

I wonder if people might view the performance differently if the team was called by it's real name: Oz 2nd 15.

Still I agree with your summation barbarian. They did the job and guys got a run. And I'll take that scoreline considering the ones you mentioned.... :)

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Taps had many magic touches. Pure class player. Can't wait to see him with the reds next year. Too many good players to fit in to too few backline positions.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And just because you are in a 40 man squad together doesn't mean you are going to combine like the Ella brothers. Basically all that means is they would be on top of the lineout calls.

I'd bet that they're all experts at holding tackling pads!

I agree with you completely. As you've said, half the team weren't even in the 40 man squad and those that were are mostly the RWC cast offs. They'd have plenty of practice running as the opposition to the Wallabies side but would have had very little work done on their own combinations.

I thought all the RWC players performed well. We all know what they're capable of so getting through the game and getting more match fitness under their belts was important. Interesting that Rob Horne is the 22 for tonight's test. I thought he looked pretty good, was running fast and made some good tackles. I guess Deans thinks his fitness is right up there to bring him onto the bench.

I thought Dave Dennis had a storming game. Who knows? Maybe next test season he'll be right there with The Rock and Higgers for that number 6 jersey. He certainly seems to be consistently improving.

Tatafu Polota-Nau didn't even look for treatment once during the game. Very surprising. It makes me think that maybe he's in love with Sharron Flahive at the Tahs and he just wants a chance to see her during games.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd bet that they're all experts at holding tackling pads!

I agree with you completely. As you've said, half the team weren't even in the 40 man squad and those that were are mostly the RWC cast offs. They'd have plenty of practice running as the opposition to the Wallabies side but would have had very little work done on their own combinations.

I thought all the RWC players performed well. We all know what they're capable of so getting through the game and getting more match fitness under their belts was important. Interesting that Rob Horne is the 22 for tonight's test. I thought he looked pretty good, was running fast and made some good tackles. I guess Deans thinks his fitness is right up there to bring him onto the bench.

I thought Dave Dennis had a storming game. Who knows? Maybe next test season he'll be right there with The Rock and Higgers for that number 6 jersey. He certainly seems to be consistently improving.

Tatafu Polota-Nau didn't even look for treatment once during the game. Very surprising. It makes me think that maybe he's in love with Sharron Flahive at the Tahs and he just wants a chance to see her during games.

I think Dennis is there already, he does everything right but he is more like Reuben Thorne as a 6, very effective and very accurate - but too many will call him "invisible", otherwise just like a good 6 should be.

Just doing the heavy lifting and not doing chip kicks or making long runs wide out because as a proper 6 he is close to the ball and mistake free.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Queensland XV are playing a scratch game against Canada at ballymore on tuesday night. 6 PM, Free admission.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Taps had many magic touches. Pure class player. Can't wait to see him with the reds next year. Too many good players to fit in to too few backline positions.

Yes, brilliant attack (read acceleration), and solid defence with some great bootlace stuff in the second half! Another Digby?

T

TOCC

Yes, brilliant attack (read acceleration), and solid defence with some great bootlace stuff in the second half! Another Digby?

Id say he has a distinctly different playing style to Digby..

However of his key attributes similar to Digby is his low centre of gravity and strength in contact, which flows over to his defensive ability.
Digby's explosiveness is unmatched in Australian backs though.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Does anyone else think it's just wrong for the ARU to be trotting out Barbarian sides. They are supposed to be a invitational club not a branch of "the man"

Ron Graham, former Wallaby and currently President of the ARU, used to be the President of the Barbarians in Australia.

I suspect you will find that the Barbarians do not exist here, any more, other than a convenient name for a representative team.

Status
Not open for further replies.