• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The side I'd like to see is Sio (only choice now), Moore & Kepu starting front row, I know Kepu can be lazy about the paddock, but we musn't let our scrum be dominated early, and he is the best scrummager among out THP's. Obviously Siaa, Slipper & Alexander on the bench (mine would have been Robbo over Alexander, who shouldn't be near a test front row).

Horwill & Fardy our best locks, Douglas on the bench in case Fardy doesn't make the step up (Simmons another who shouldn't be in a test side), Gill at 7 (need his strenght at the breakdown) McCalman at 8 (I don't know why nobody rates him, but he's a genuine 8) and Mowen at 6. Hooper on the bench to cause some havoc when the big guys get tired.

Genia 9, Cooper 10, Lilo 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 13 probably don't warrant discussion. Izzy and HB on the wings & Mogg at 15. The latter is a bit of a risk, but his speed and kicking game, plus the impact he made in the last BIL test, means he's worth a try. Bench backs are White, To'omua to cover Cooper (if the AB's get to him, he needs to be pulled quick smart, no time for the old mates act from Link, this guy is either firing or he's awful), and JOC (James O'Connor) to cover everywhere else, and particulalry if the Mogg thing doesn't come off. A couple of gambles, but we need to hold nothing back against these guys, they are the best in the world.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good point, but those pesky all blacks always seem to be able to identify and capitalise on our weakenesses whereever we hide them.

Anyway, I think the choice of 10 and 15 are entirely dependent and I can't see why link wont go with Cooper at 10. That rules Mogg and Izzy out of 15, as even if Quade defends front line for part of the game, link will want flexibility for him to swap back in defence as the game progresses. Also, if Quade is going to be spending any serious time defending at 15, then 11 and 14 need to be good under the high ball which I think bring Mogg and Izzy into play (arguably AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) also).

Why won't link go with To'omua at 10? Firstly, there is the combination with Genia (and link himself for that matter). Secondly, if Coooper is to start at 10 anytime in this bledisloe series, the game in Sydney is the one. Thirdly (and often forgotten), he is actually a good player, with past international experience, is in decent form and has a bloody big point to proove.

I think you are right in that Cooper will be the fly half for the reasons you have given.
Which to me means that JOC (James O'Connor) will go fullback in that the two of them can interplay the positions, for when the Wallabies win a tight head etc, JOC (James O'Connor) will be capable as a five eight taking possession.
Should QC (Quade Cooper) get injured, then JOC (James O'Connor) can step up to the position and Mogg can come off the bench as full back.
Also JOC (James O'Connor) has more experience at joining in with the back line at international level than Mogg or Izzy. This is an important role for a fullback at this level of rugby.
So Izzy and Cummins on the wings.
Aside from Izzy, I think that the Honey Badger has more to offer in attack.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He was in the team that lost to Scotland.

Cummins has belted the Poms, smashed the Welsh, ripped the Italians a new one, scared the shit out of some argis and has an undefeated record against the all blacks ;) he should be starting.

His bags of meat to galahs in the Pilbara ratio is also excellent.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
He also knows how to face the haka properly - see the last few seconds of this clip (I can't seem to find a better source - this one's cut off unfortunately)

That's the sort of passion we want in the wallabies, and is bound to fire a whole team up!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Cummins has belted the Poms, smashed the Welsh, ripped the Italians a new one, scared the shit out of some argis and has an undefeated record against the all blacks ;) he should be starting.

Loss to Scotland WAS a big one - still lay the blame solely at Pocock for not taking the gimme kick - very bad captaincy

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

He was also one of the best players in that game..........

However, Tomane's form since the last Lions' match shouldn't see him in the match day 23..........

I just hope he's suffering a bit of second year syndrome because he's a shadow of what he was last year........

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
He also knows how to face the haka properly - see the last few seconds of this clip (I can't seem to find a better source - this one's cut off unfortunately)

That's the sort of passion we want in the wallabies, and is bound to fire a whole team up!

For that alone.... Honey Badger needs to be IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Mowen caught 91 lineout this Super Rugby Season and Simmons was second with caught 61 I think they both have to be in!

something

Jim Clark (26)
I am happy as long as the back 3 are one of Badger, Izzy, JOC (James O'Connor) & Mogg with one on the bench.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Another thing i like about the Badger is that he covers 13. So you could afford to have both To'omua and Cooper in the 23 and exclude Kurindrani... but i really like Kurindrani so i dont really mind either way. just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.