• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Water Boys a good chance too.

So you'd pick also-rans over proven 2013 contenders!! please stop it. we tried that it was call the Deans theory.
Oh you also forgot MM and Link were Brumbies too B-ian.

No point picking guys who are use to loosing to the ABs year in year out. McKenzie wants to try something new, so be it, bring it on, pick form players for this match I say. leave the bagage in the bus.

Yet the Brumbies went down to the Chiefs.
(But I know they were'nt really tryingo_O).
The AB's would probably get beaten though - from laughing at your selection, Muddie.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
This first game will be epic with the AB's knowing they only need to win once to retain the Bledisloe for another year and they will look to have it in the bag before any return confrontation in Wellington.

I don't quite follow this. It's best of three so they will need to win one and draw one as a minimum to retain the Beldisloe. They need two wins to 'win' it.

jeez kinda wish we had George Smith going into this one too.

You won't be alone there I'm sure but it's time to move on from George. He was an absolute legend but coming into the Lions series there was a lot of, 'pick George and we'll win" nonsense. He's just one guy and adds a helluva a lot to a team but it is now time to move on. The guys we have can get the job done. They'll need to do something special but they have it in them.

M

Moono75

I don't quite follow this. It's best of three so they will need to win one and draw one as a minimum to retain the Beldisloe. They need two wins to 'win' it.

My fault. I didn't even look past the Rugby Championship fixtures to see the 3rd test. Even still the AB's will think if they pinch this game in Sydney they will be safe with 2 games at home to wrap it up.

NZ news papers already dismissing the Wallabies chances. Another new start....Aussies looking at things through rose coloured glasses, forgetting the fact that they haven't had the Bledisoloe for 10 years. God I hope we smash those Kiwis!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I can't remember when there was Bledisloe on when I was more gloomy.

Maybe it was because of the Lions. We had three shockers last year, which is about average, but I was hoping our first one of 2013 wasn't going to be in the 3rd Lions test, but it was.

Come to think of it: if you get the first shocker out of the way, isn't it unlikely there will be two in a row? You never know.

Then I thought of Deans' first coaching gig for the Wobs in a Bledisloe match, in 2008, also in Sydney.

I was there and we won - mind you it was one of the worst All Black performances I have every seen - before or since; and I am am sure I have watched more AB games than most.

Everybody was piling on the Deans bandwagon after that game but I didn't, and I said on the forum that I wouldn't until the Wallabies showed consistency of good performances from one match to another, even if they lost sometimes, and consistency during the matches themselves.

Within that, they had to get better overseas results.

I never got on that Deans' wagon and won't when the Wobs play under Link either, until my criteria are met.

I also remember writing when Deans came on board that one good thing about a new coach was that he was not constrained by his history of selections. That applies to Link also. Forget the names and embrace the changes he had made.

I'm in a better mood already. I will embrace change.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
My fault. I didn't even look past the Rugby Championship fixtures to see the 3rd test. Even still the AB's will think if they pinch this game in Sydney they will be safe with 2 games at home to wrap it up.
Absolutely. Sydney is must win for us. We lose it and we need two on the trot in NZ. We win it and we only need one win from the next two and will hopefully have some belief that we can get the job done. I hope we smash them too! :)

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Here is my guess at Link's starting 15 for Saturday:

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. McEnimen
7. Gill
8. Mowen
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mogg
12. Lilo
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Folau
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

With Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) to alternate in attack and defense.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reckon Link will choose a team with a few surprises. Everyone reckons Cooper at 10 but on performance Matt T might be the go (with QC (Quade Cooper) on bench to bring impact when the game loosens up). That will be a big call as will 15. with Moggy or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - Mogg should get the spot - for all the reasons he has shown this year.

Does anyone iknow when team announced ?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Mogg on the right wing, he kicks better off his left foot. The ideal setup is a right foot kicker on the left wing and a left foot kicker on the right wing, that way they should be able to get some distance on kicks intended to go out.

Personally I'd have Mogg at 15 and JOC (James O'Connor) on a wing. And I don't get Simmons as a first choice lock. But, there again, who'd be a selector.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I'd have JOC (James O'Connor) and Cummins on the wing, Folau at 15. Concerned about the centre options on the bench, A Finger would have been ideal with Lilo able to move to 10. As the squad is now though i'd give the bench spots to To'omua and Mogg.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
And I don't get Simmons as a first choice lock. But, there again, who'd be a selector.

While I don't think Simmons deserves a spot, putting him at 4 would allow Fardy to go to 6 if Link isn't happy with MMM's lack of game time recently. Last year, I honestly thought Douglas was the solution to the "who should partner Horwill" question. But he was awful during the Lions games.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Probable AB team:

Woodcock
O Franks
Romano
Whitelock
Messam
McCaw
Read
A Smith
Cruden
Savea
Nonu
C Smith
B Smith
Dagg

Res: Coles, B Franks, Faumuina, Retallick, Cane, Perenara, Barrett, Piutau

Match ups are looking closer than they have for a while in most positions.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Probable AB team:

Woodcock
O Franks
Romano
Whitelock
Messam
McCaw
Read
A Smith
Cruden
Savea
Nonu
C Smith
B Smith
Dagg

So you think A, B, & C Smith eh?
Pity there's not a D. Smith - that'd be one for the media.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Probable AB team:

Woodcock
O Franks
Romano
Whitelock
Messam
McCaw
Read
A Smith
Cruden
Savea
Nonu
C Smith
B Smith
Dagg

Savea and Nonu ..?...who we matching then with? perhaps JOC (James O'Connor) can sit on Lilos shoulders witha big overcoat on..that may fool them:D

Status
Not open for further replies.